Leveling Prot, seeking advice.

Paladin
I am planning on leveling prot, for several reasons one being so I can get a handle on tanking as a paladin. I am wondering about my gear choice for leveling though, I am planning on taking DPS plate with crit and whatnot for the questing process but having a set of tanking plate for when I need it or when I run and instance. Is this a foolhardy plan to try and combine the survivability that comes with prot and the increased damage and killing speed that I would get from DPS plate?

Will there even be a difference in the gear except from the caster/melee gear before level 60ish?
Really when I leveled in prot, I went 1-40 in Mail gear with str/stam, then Plate I went str/stam/dodge or parry. There really is no need for anything different when it comes to Paladins.
Well I just recently leveled my DK to 85 and there was a drastic difference between the tank gear (dodge/parry) and the DPS gear (crit/haste). I hadn't ever leveled a plate wearer before aside from my DK so I don't know much about how mail/plate works before 55.

Does prot do enough damage on its own to not have to worry about stacking DPS stats to make my questing/soloing more bearable? As of right now I am doing plenty of damage and the soloing is wonderful for the time being.
Ret won't surpass Prot in any significant way until about level 60-70.

When it does, just pull 3 or 4 mobs at a time, and Prot levels stupidly faster than Ret.
Str/Sta gear for leveling until you get close to end game. Everything else will fall into place. Link below may help a bit. You definately want to go Prot for leveling atm.

Protection Paladin Leveling Guide - http://www.brighthub.com/video-games/pc/articles/101423.aspx
01/08/2011 6:51 PMPosted by Hoofoflight
Does prot do enough damage on its own to not have to worry about stacking DPS stats to make my questing/soloing more bearable? As of right now I am doing plenty of damage and the soloing is wonderful for the time being.

I don't know if this is normal but in the past few days I have been at the top of DPS recounts in random dungeons. I am not saying that protection paladins deal insane amounts of damage (around 30%). In fact I am under the impression that my teammates may have just been phoning in performances and/or they were not geared properly. All I am saying is that we protection paladins can hold our own when it comes to dealing damage.

You'll experience huge spikes in your DPS once you get hammer of the righteous and wrath of the lightbringer.