Benefits of Blacksmithing?

Professions
Prot Pally here, about to hit 60 and 300 blacksmithing. I know I have a long way to go, but I've started to think about the end-game. Any proud and learned Smiths out there that care to educate me on the amazing gear I'll be able to make at 85/525 to make all this cost and toil to level BS worthwhile?
there are 2 additional gem slots (bracers and gloves) aswell as at high levels you can make use of chaos orbs to create epic quality gear. and besides who doesn't love seeing made by <your name> on thier gear
I do find it rather satisfying to mouse over my chest piece and see:

<Made by Mir>

on it the tooltip :3
How's the money making for BS? How well does this pair up with Enchanting? or would it be better to keep mining?

I'm planning getting BS when I hit 85 and just powerleveling it as I've beens saving my ores.
Are there any sockets to be added to weapons? I was always curious about that..
You do realize that this thread is almost a year old
No, currently the only way to add a socket to a weapon is part 2 of the legendary quest line.
It makes me made we need living steel from greedy alc's for living steel belt buckle.

All that work to get to 600 only to rely on others..
It makes me made we need living steel from greedy alc's for living steel belt buckle.

All that work to get to 600 only to rely on others..

And where exactly do you think all those bars you leveled with came from? Another profession. All crafting professions (except perhaps tailoring) rely on other professions for materials. Nature of the beast and has been since the game launched.
Thanks, Solution.

Sorry for necroing this thread. I didn't realize until after that this was a year old!