An Analysis of Future Warlock Changes

Warlock
Prev 1 2 3 4 34 Next
Thank you OP for a non-biased look at pvp balance. You backed up your opinion in a factual manner. I can only hope that more people learn to discuss pvp balance in a similar method.
Also, another change not yet listed in the notes is to the default range of Curse of Exhaustion. With the movement speed reduction at 30% in 4.0.6, down from 50%, the range is being increased to 40 yards, up from 30.
01/10/2011 4:45 PMPosted by Zarhym
Also, another change not yet listed in the notes is to the default range of Curse of Exhaustion. With the movement speed reduction at 30% in 4.0.6, down from 50%, the range is being increased to 40 yards, up from 30.

Seems like a fair trade to me, however does this mean that the Glyph to increase its range will be removed?
My thoughts on the projcted warlock changes have to do with the diminishing potency of the affliction spec in PvP which is my primary concern.

DoTs in general are in trouble. I understand the cost of dispelling has increased in the expansion, however the incentive to dispel DoTs far outweigh the any detrimental effects. In fact, resto shamans actually come out ahead when they dispel most of our dots, with the exception of UA, through Cleansing Waters. Other healers come out to an overall savings in mana from dispelling rather than healing through a dot, and that's ok. That's what dispels are for, but I'd like for a healer to at least think about the consiquences of dispelling my DoTs when they see UA, and that's not really the case at this point and will be even less so with the projected changes on the PTR. DoTs take time to ramp up, more so than most other forms of damage, and when a person can simply circumvent an affliction lock's DPS through a few casts of dispel or a blowing 2 minute cooldown, it's a bit aggrivating.

Drain mana is going bye-bye, ok. I can live with that, but I get the nagging feeling that my class "toolbox" is slowly shrinking along with my options. I can see how it's a problematic spell when balancing PvP, but I'm becoming worried that my affliction warlock is devolving into a one trick pony and that pony is DoTs.

I wish I could better comprehend the Curse of Exhaustion change from a 50% snare to a 30% one. The change seems a bit hefty, especially with so many melee classes having a built in run speed increase in their talents trees and/or the gap closers mentioned by the OP. As it stands right now, with no diminishing returns on snare abilities, once the lock is caught they must either stand their ground, trinket, or use Demonic Circle. I think the tanking caster model has sort of been killed with the addition of so many interrupts that lock a caster out of their primary casting school for seconds at a time. Being unable to cast and unable to move creates an obvious problem, so there is a severe penalty in allowing a melee character close the distance.

I'm sure the patch notes aren't finalized, so I'm not too terribly worried, but here's to hoping that there are some bigger changes in store for controlled silencing abilities, and overall DoT potency.
I am more concerned about dispells on our dots atm, but ty for the coe info
The reason the lock is in such a odd state boils down to 1 thing it’s the strengths of the class we are evaluated on without the realisation that the specs and pets are what people evaluate, and seem to think we have available as baseline skills.

On Paper the lock has a huge amount of skills available to it, stuns, interrupts, silence, fear, healing, damage, slows, survivability all sounds like we are so OP that we need massive nerfs.

What people fail to realise is we don’t get to have it all we have to pick and choose a subset of these abilities in specs and pets. That makes us very versatile but also makes us very easily caught out short in the cold in our underpants so to speak

We have too many skills across to many specs and pets being prepared an absolute nightmare for the warlock. In an ever changing environment like a BG, Arena, World PVP, the constant need to prep or adjust puts the warlock at a massive disadvantage to all other classes that have a good set of baseline abilities to help them survive.

We lack some fundamental abilities in all specs to survive the reality that a warlock is going to be IN MELEE RANGE A LOT MORE THAN ANY OTHER CASTER with cloth on, with no way really to survive it with any consistency. (Happen to be the right spec and pet and you had time to get a portal down AND you are STILL in range of it you might be ok, wrong pet of spec, out of range of portal, stunned bad luck, wait for your res timer that’s all you got )

IMHO the devs need to stop nerfing abilities and work on providing a solid baseline set of spells that are available and useful to all specs to maintain the fundamental need for Caster to MAINTAIN SPACE to cast. Or tweak the ones we have to be useful

Just my 2c..

But thanks for the reply blue Zarhym, its nice to get some blue text to a community thats feeling a bit down on 3 nerfs in a row since cata.

As it stands right now, with no diminishing returns on snare abilities, once the lock is caught they must either stand their ground, trinket, or use Demonic Circle. I think the tanking caster model has sort of been killed with the addition of so many interrupts that lock a caster out of their primary casting school for seconds at a time. Being unable to cast and unable to move creates an obvious problem, so there is a severe penalty in allowing a melee character close the distance.

I am running into this issue as well, totally agree
I'm looking forward to see what other warlock changes the PTR brings, and I do hope there are more, to see Demo brought up with the other specs.

We have quite a lot to manage at any given moment, the Felguard loses to the Succubus for single target damage as well as triggering Mana Feed less often due to a slowr basic attack, our mastery is rather weak outside of fights where there are specific points where you want to maximize your damage and the only advantage we had over the other trees, our AoE burst damage, is going to be nerfed assuming it goes beyond the Inferno change.
Regarding UA, why does my tooltip say it will do over 20k damage when dispelled and doesnt do more than 10k? Also, they're removing drain mana and doing nothing to a holy paladins ability to hit judgement every 6 seconds and get 5k mana back? I'm seeing not only resto shamans but holy paladins dispelling UA now as well. Also, making CoEx 30% when, it doesnt affect good ferals, warriors/dk's have snares of their own as well as gap closers, frost mages have unlimited snares, paladins have stuns and run speed, why exactly is a class that is simply underpowered in a pvp state against real comps that should be played, getting nerfed because its overpowering in survival and damage when thats really only the case against cc lacking burst teams that rely on bloodlust/heroism to get the job done?

After playing a frost mage on the PTR, and seeing that there isnt yet any nerfs to ice lance damage im absolutely shocked. 20k ice lance crits? 20k frostbolt crits?

So, why are you nerfing UA? I have yet to see a single reason for it to be nerfed, dispel protection for a spec entirely based on DoT, cant keep DoT's up for more than a few seconds, wont be able to drain mana and actually do something? What will be the point of warlocks in pvp if UA gets nerfed? Destruction is a terrible pvp spec atm, get 1 melee on you and its better to just leave the arena. Demonology doesnt have the damage i dont believe, if it did you would actually see demo warlocks past 1800.

Seriously though, is there anything that can be said as to why there was ever the idea to nerf UA?
It be nice to see if the Shadowflame glyph was default with the spell after the CoEx nerf. Everyone knows the spell is garbage without the glyph.

...What about UA? I suppose y'all may be discussing it before posting, eh?

Correct. Well... that, and I've been focused on updating the patch notes the better part of the day. There are a lot of new changes to be posted soon. :)

A number of crowd control effect durations are being reduced in PvP for patch 4.0.6. Those changes are not yet notated. The Unstable Affliction change relates to these changes and just happened to be listed first.

In general, dispelling warlock DoTs is a little more punishing than we intended in the current PvP model. That said, there are yet still more changes not listed which are worth mentioning here:

1. The reduction on the Unstable Affliction silence effect is 4 seconds, up from 3 as currently listed.

2. We do think it's a little too easy to counter warlocks (and Shadow priests) with a Resto shaman's Cleansing Waters talent (as was pointed out earlier in this thread), which is being nerfed in 4.0.6 as well.
4 sec is better than 3 i suppose but I still dont quite get it
how are Aff Locks suppose to be a viable when Siphone Life gives 4% health with a 50% chance of occuring and our DoT protection not even worth using.

To be honest, affliction lock self healing is kind of the eliphant in the room at the moment. I didn't think it was terrible until it came down to me and another affliction lock in an arena match. It's probably listed somewhere in the next set of patch notes, and if it's not you can still expect to see some kind of change coming.
There can't really be a damage buff for affliction until they lose a lot of their tanking ability.

Sure you want to trade?