4.2 Enhancement DPS Guide.

Shaman
Prev 1 11 12 13 19 Next
04/25/2011 01:08 PMPosted by Chillbro
Jazen, two things. First, bliz doesn't read class forums. Second, I have never heard of the problem you're talking about.

I've had it happen, and I was about to make a post about it. I still may in fact. I was in a few herocis yesterday, I'd kill a mob, Searing totem is still up, I go to the next mob and notice searing totem is not hitting him. Like at all. I have to redrop it to make it hit the guy. I also notice sometimes my searing totem will attack 2 or 3 target at the same time, to the point where I switch targets, I'll have a 5 stack already up waiting for me.

It happened a few times yesterday while in heroics and soloing. Odd...
05/10/2011 09:38 PMPosted by Sharkon
What's this about MH weapon speed not being terribly important? I haven't seen that info anywhere else.

Chillbro answered this well, but I'm going to clarify:

MH weapon speed is important, but not as important as offhand weapon speed. Therefore, if you have two equivalent iLevel weapons with the same DPS, one 2.6 speed and one 2.8 speed, the 2.6 should be in your mainhand and the 2.8 your offhand. Your weapons should still ALWAYS be 2.6 speed or slower, though a 2.5 speed mainhand won't totally kill you.
05/18/2011 03:29 AMPosted by Vardar
Jazen, two things. First, bliz doesn't read class forums. Second, I have never heard of the problem you're talking about.

I've had it happen, and I was about to make a post about it. I still may in fact. I was in a few herocis yesterday, I'd kill a mob, Searing totem is still up, I go to the next mob and notice searing totem is not hitting him. Like at all. I have to redrop it to make it hit the guy. I also notice sometimes my searing totem will attack 2 or 3 target at the same time, to the point where I switch targets, I'll have a 5 stack already up waiting for me.

It happened a few times yesterday while in heroics and soloing. Odd...

Yes, that is a well known issue regarding it not attacking. What his post made it sound like was the Searing Totem would hit the target, but not apply a stack.

And thanks Elam, sometimes I have problems with getting out what I'm trying to say.

MH weapon speed is important, but not as important as offhand weapon speed. Therefore, if you have two equivalent iLevel weapons with the same DPS, one 2.6 speed and one 2.8 speed, the 2.6 should be in your mainhand and the 2.8 your offhand. Your weapons should still ALWAYS be 2.6 speed or slower, though a 2.5 speed mainhand won't totally kill you.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but A Higher Tier STR 2.6 or 2.8 weapon vs a tier lower Agi 2.6 or 2.8 weapon, the STR wins right?

Example: 346 2.6 speed STR weapon vs 333 2.6 Speed Agi weapon, I should use the STR right?

Yes, that is a well known issue regarding it not attacking. What his post made it sound like was the Searing Totem would hit the target, but not apply a stack.

And thanks Elam, sometimes I have problems with getting out what I'm trying to say.

Is it being looked into? Is there an addon to tell lme when it's not on the mob I'm attacking so I know it's a problem? Thanks for the help btw.
05/19/2011 04:31 AMPosted by Vardar
Is it being looked into? Is there an addon to tell lme when it's not on the mob I'm attacking so I know it's a problem? Thanks for the help btw.

there would be an easy way to set up either Power auras (notifications for stacks on your current target) or FortXorcist (a Dot Tracker that can track multiple targets)

you could probably use any timer mod to track multiple searing flames stacks, but it would be safer to use Powerauras to track the stacks on your current target :)

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but A Higher Tier STR 2.6 or 2.8 weapon vs a tier lower Agi 2.6 or 2.8 weapon, the STR wins right?

Example: 346 2.6 speed STR weapon vs 333 2.6 Speed Agi weapon, I should use the STR right?

You would have to sim the str vs agility yourself.
But honestly in my own opinion I feel you should be safe and stay with the agility weapon, using things that aren't intended for us makes me sad. (again, these are my personal feelings, not theorycrafted proof)

And on the Searing Totem, just look at their debuffs... or use the addons Azzeh mentioned.
05/18/2011 01:40 PMPosted by Chillbro

You're doing awesome. I'm honestly pretty excited that you answer so many questions in this thread, because it saves me a lot of time. so, thank you!

05/19/2011 04:31 AMPosted by Vardar

It's tricky. Say you have an iLevel 359 Claws of Agony. It has 462.3 DPS, 146 strength, 97 haste, and 97 mastery. Your other offhand option is Ravening Slicer, which has 409.6 DPS, 129 agility, and 86 haste and mastery.

According to EnhSim with my current gear, OH DPS has an EP of 2.63. Strength has an EP of 1.03, while Agility clocks in at 2.49. Haste chills at .72, and Mastery is a nice, balanced, 1.25.

The calculation for Claws of Agony: (462.3x2.63)+(146x1.03)+(97x.72)+(97x1.25). With those resolved, it becomes (1215.85+150.38+69.84+121.25). Claw of Agony is then worth 1557.32 EP.

The calculation for Ravening Slicer is: (409.6x2.63)+(129x2.49)+(86x.72)+(86x1.25), or (1077.25+321.21+61.92+107.5). Ravening Slicer is then worth 1567.88.

So, in my gear, a 346 Agility weapon is more damage in the offhand than a 359 strength weapon. However, Mainhand DPS is worth 3.03 EP for me rather than 2.63, which would be enough to push a 359 strength weapon to be better than a 2.46 agility in the mainhand. Now, EP values differ dramatically between players at different gear levels, and the best option is always simming gear changes yourself. The most important thing to take away, though, is that while it is possible for a 2.6 strength weapon to beat out an agility weapon one tier lower, the difference will be so minimal that it most likely is not worth it.
05/19/2011 01:17 PMPosted by Chillbro
And on the Searing Totem, just look at their debuffs... or use the addons Azzeh mentioned.

Eh, so it's just going to be a pain until they decide to fix it? Not that I don't mind watching debuffs, I'm a feral as a main, but watching for debuffs that may or may not apply and is psuedo out of my control kinda blows! I'll grab an addon however. Maybe it will help. Thanks.

05/19/2011 06:58 PMPosted by Elamqt
So, in my gear, a 346 Agility weapon is more damage in the offhand than a 359 strength weapon. However, Mainhand DPS is worth 3.03 EP for me rather than 2.63, which would be enough to push a 359 strength weapon to be better than a 2.46 agility in the mainhand. Now, EP values differ dramatically between players at different gear levels, and the best option is always simming gear changes yourself. The most important thing to take away, though, is that while it is possible for a 2.6 strength weapon to beat out an agility weapon one tier lower, the difference will be so minimal that it most likely is not worth it.

Argg, Maths! Seriously thanks. I guess I'll start using the Sim and figure it out for myself.
I spotted an incredibly miniscule mistake!

"The most potent array of buffs from a single source in the game. While you don't offer them all at the same time, you offer: 10%/6% Spell Power/"

This is an enhance guide now, and enhance doesn't provide 10% SP. Probably just a leftover from when it was both DPS specs.

Also a question for you, Elam: I have the Claws of Torment. Would it worthwhile to equip the Claws of Agony, even though it has strength, because of the proc?
Short answer is, you have to sim it. I know in many cases the set is better than 346 alternatives, but seeing as you have a 353 it probably isn't worth it. But don't take my word for it, sim it for yourself.

Also, I'd look at replacing those trinkets of yours, our current BiS are fairly easy to get from VP or the AH. If you don't want to spend the gold, get Tia's Grace.
Thanks very much for the advice, I'll have to look into that myself. For some reason I thought I still have a 346 in my OH, but I appear to be wrong so it would make sense that the other claw wouldn't be an upgrade.

Yeah, my MS is resto but getting Fluid Death is my next investment, I think I only need like 200 more valor to get it so I should have it very soon. I am guessing I should replace Unheeded Warning with it, rather than Essence of the Cyclone?

(Basically I just gear this OS from what is left over in raids. We have one hunter, so once he's got a drop, I get it if it drops again so we don't just DE it)
Yeah, Unheeded warning is worse than Cyclone, so I'd replace it first.
05/28/2011 12:54 PMPosted by Chillbro
Yeah, Unheeded warning is worse than Cyclone, so I'd replace it first.

Alrighty will do. Thanks very much!
Sorry, I haven't had internet for nearly a week. ;~; Chill said everything I would have, though!

(except for the edit, I'll go check that out!)
Hiya elam, i have a question for you,
you wrote that cookie tenderizer is a good off hand, is it due to the stats or the weapon speed, i saw that for the main hand, we dont give a "$%@! about weapon speed but what about the off-hand one ? does it need to be a slow weapon or a fast one ?!

waiting fo' yo answa !! =) thanks in advance
05/18/2011 10:15 AMPosted by Elamqt

:)

Edit: Oh sorry, misread the question at first. We want slower weapons in the offhand, as Lava Lash is not normalized, meaning slow weapons will make for larger Lava Lash hits.

Edit2: So, to answer your question directly, we want Cookie's Tenderizer because of the slow weapon speed.
Anyone else noticing that the feral spirits are not putting out any damage or no increase on damage meters while attacking? When I click on the spell (feral spirits) I DO notice a drop in damage due to the wasted time activating them.

Blizzard please buff the enhancement shaman. Seems like we are fading out into the distance once again. PVE!!!!

I wouldn't say it's no damage, but it IS only 2-3% overall. I agree that they need a buff, but this isn't the place to bring it up ;)