Which Pets to Level to Complete Achievements

Pet Battles
EDIT: I have added a list of "very good pets I did not use" based on other posts. I also added some info on optimized breeds where applicable, but these optimized breeds are not required for someone just looking to finish off the achieves.

This is a pet list for anyone looking to complete all of the pet battle achievements efficiently (i.e. do the bare minimum). There are a million ways to do this, but this was how I, after wasting time on many useless pets, did it. I hope it is helpful for all the beginners out there. No TCG or store pets are needed, and while some of these aren't easy to obtain (as some have commented), you will need to do an equal amount of work to get by without them IMO.

With this list, it is possible to complete all of the major "PVE" pet battle achievements - there is no simple formula for PVP, but many of these pets are excellent in PVP as well.

I will not go into detail on what each pet is used for, but if you follow many of the popular guides out there, you will find that most pets on those lists can be substituted for those on my list.

First, a few helpful tips:
  • All of the pet trainers in Pandaria can be defeated with only an Emeral Proto-Whelp and Anubisath Idol, making this route very efficient for leveling pets - even if you have minimal level 25's. Someone has posted the details for each fight to wowhead.
  • Always complete your garrison menagerie dailies. These will provide you with a constant stream of tokens to increase the quality/levels on pets you need.
  • Start running old raids to get "raiding with leashes" achievement asap - you will need Anubisath Idol and Chrominius for many reasons, and it may take several weeks to get the drops.
  • Howl Bomb: It is a method of killing extremely high-hp single enemies. It can be implemented several ways (and most guides will help you with this), but the core pets are a Pandaren Water Spirit and Chrominius, supplemented by either the Darkmoon Zepplin (celestial tournament) or Unborn Val'kyr (outside tournament).
  • The List:
    So here is the list, sorted by: 1) what I consider to be my go-to pets (used daily), 2) which ones I use regularly (~weekly) and 3) others I used infrequently or for gimmicky fights (e.g. to complete "An Awfully Big Adventure").

1) Core Pets (9 total)
  • Anubisath Idol
  • Emerald Proto-Whelp
  • Chrominius
  • Pandaren Water Spirit
  • Clockwork Gnome
  • Darkmoon Zepplin
  • Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
  • Any Snail (Rapana Whelk is best)
  • Terrible Turnip (weakening blow cannot kill, so it's perfect for collecting low-level pets)
  • 2) Used Often (9 total)
  • Any Moth w/ alpha strike, cocoon strike, and moth dust (P/P Yellow Moth is best)
  • Eternal Strider (or equivalent, P/S breed best)
  • Darkmoon Tonk
  • Any Spider w/ strike, brittle webbing, and leech life
  • Any Frog w/ water jet, cleansing rain, swarm of flies, and frog kiss (S/S Leopard Tree Frog or a P/P Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog are best)
  • Nexus Whelpling
  • Scourged Whelpling
  • Stinker (used to heal in celestial tournament)
  • Unborn Val'kyr
  • 3) Used Infrequently (17 total)
  • Adder (this is a great first lvl25 - high speed + counters critters)
  • Amethyst Shale Hatching
  • Blighthawk
  • Chi-chi
  • Core Hound Pup
  • Elekk Plushie
  • Fel Flame
  • Flayer Youngling
  • Kun-Lai Runt
  • Lofty Libram
  • Mud Jumper/Swamp Croaker
  • Nether Faerie Dragon
  • Prairie Dog
  • Sea Gull
  • Spawn of Onyxia
  • Sporeling Sprout
  • Tiny Snowman
  • A second Moth (I've even used 3)
  • A second Frog (I've even used 3)
  • A second Spider
  • 4) Other very strong pets (that I never needed):
  • Gilnean Raven
  • Crow
  • Xu-Fu
  • Iron Starlette
  • Feline Familiar
  • S/S Rabbit
  • P/P Emporer Crab
  • H/H Spirit Crab
  • Teroclaw Hatchling
  • Alpine Foxling
  • Lil' Bling
  • Ghostly Skull
  • Ghastly Kid
  • Zalandari Raptors
  • Electrified Razortooth
  • Very good selection of pets on your post.I could add other powerful pets newcomers will see in other people's guides like the feline familiar,spring rabbit,teroclaw hatchling,syd the squid and alpine foxling.
    Awesome. I have a lot of these, now I know where to go next :)
    IMO, I would replace the swap some of the pets you listed with some of these
    Teroclaw Hatchling
    S/S Rabbit
    P/P Emperor Crab
    H/H Spirit CrabMechanical Pandaren Dragonling
    Scalded Basilisk Hatchling
    Lil' Bling
    Arcane Eye
    P/S Eternal Strider
    Stitched Pup
    Electrified Razortooth (replaces the Core Hound Pup as an Elemental w/ Beast attacks)
    Some sort of Cat (Feline Familiar is best, albeit expensive)

I would specify the Moth as the P/P Yellow Moth or the P/S Skywisp Moth
    I would specify the Frog as an S/S Leopard Tree Frog or a P/P Yellow-Bellied Bullfrog
    My husband resubbed to WoW last weekend (he quit early in MoP) so I got him set up with a bunch of the basics. Here's the cagable pets I made sure he had:

Anub Idol
    Chrominius
    Terroclaw Hatchling
    P/P Yellow Moth (stoned for him of course)
    Ghostly Skull
    Ghastly Kid
    Pandaren Water Spirit
    Terrible Turnip
    Zandalari Raptors (gave him three total, two breeds of the Anklerender and one Footslasher)
    Iron Starlette
    Mechanical Pandaren Dragonling
    Lil' Bling

He already had:

Spirit of Competition (so jealous)
    S/S Rabbit
    Magical Crawdad
    Toothy the croc
    Phoenix Hatchling
    Darkmoon Zepplin
    Darkmoon Tonk
    Tranquil Mechanical Yeti

Wild pets I'll make sure he picks up on his way to 25 (obviously his highest toon is 90 so he won't be getting the epic stone from his garrison anytime soon):

Emerald Proto-whelp
    Nexus Whelpling
    Crow
    P/S Eternal Strider
    A couple of frogs

With all those pets he should be able to do pretty much all the PvE content. He might need to add in some odds and ends along the way like a Scourged Whelpling but it doesn't take much to have a solid pet stable.
    Updated initial post with your guys' feedback - thanks! This was helpful for me - I'll probably start ticking off list 4 now...
    There are numerous pets that could go on such a list. I'd recommend that you restrict your suggestions to pets that can either be acquired easily or cheaply. Pets like Stinker, Xu-Fu and Chi-chi are inappropriate for new players since they're acquired via achievements/events that aren't accessible for new players.

Other pets, such as the Unborn Val'kyr or Scourged Whelpling are inarguably decent pets, but somewhat difficult to acquire - I certainly wouldn't put them on a shortlist of pets to seek when you're looking at your first 25 or so pets. The Emerald Proto-whelp is one of the most useful PvE pets out there, but getting the rare P/P without access to stones isn't easy.
    I'd argue against Stinker being difficult to get just because it's so easy to get to 50 unique pets now based on wild captures, vendors, cheap stuff on the AH, and guaranteed mob drops/treasure items on Draenor.

But it has been so long since I started pet collecting and I entered Pandaria with something like 200 uniques, so I don't really know if it's as easy as I assume it is.
    07/22/2015 07:27 PMPosted by Larkspur
    I'd argue against Stinker being difficult to get just because it's so easy to get to 50 unique pets now based on wild captures, vendors, cheap stuff on the AH, and guaranteed mob drops/treasure items on Draenor.

But it has been so long since I started pet collecting and I entered Pandaria with something like 200 uniques, so I don't really know if it's as easy as I assume it is.

I think so too: just browsing the AH for battle pets and sorting them from cheapest to most expensive will easily let you buy 50 pets and the prices should not be more than a few golds.
    Medeyn, you are absolutely right, but this was meant to be a guide for people looking to prioritize their collection from the get-go - i.e. the shortest list possible, not necessarily the easiest.

Some are more difficult to get than others - e.g. Unborn Val'kyr - but I think it is a pet all collectors will need, so it simply cannot come off the list.

Also, I only compiled list 4 to note some particularly powerful pets that people should definitely level if they have them in their journal already. The fact that I had to get by without them sort of exemplifies how hard most of them are to acquire :-)

I just updated some of the language and title to be more accurate.
    What a great post! I'm relatively new to pet battles and trying to figure out what pets you need to level has been pretty overwhelming, so this list is a great place for me to start.
    07/23/2015 03:55 PMPosted by Jeack
    Medeyn, you are absolutely right, but this was meant to be a guide for people looking to prioritize their collection from the get-go - i.e. the shortest list possible, not necessarily the easiest.

Some are more difficult to get than others - e.g. Unborn Val'kyr - but I think it is a pet all collectors will need, so it simply cannot come off the list.

Also, I only compiled list 4 to note some particularly powerful pets that people should definitely level if they have them in their journal already. The fact that I had to get by without them sort of exemplifies how hard most of them are to acquire :-)

I just updated some of the language and title to be more accurate.

enchanted broom/weebomination for when squirt hits the menag?

something with food coma like a(turkey) to power level 1s outside your gari?
    Is there a list of mobs that drop battle pets ?

for example Zomstrok drops from a darkside boneshell or Darkside Husk

I have been looking but to no avail :(
    I am looking for standard mobs not raids.
    12/01/2015 10:41 PMPosted by Rabelah
    Is there a list of mobs that drop battle pets ?

for example Zomstrok drops from a darkside boneshell or Darkside Husk

I have been looking but to no avail :(

This is the closest thing I can find to what you are asking

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=1212/battle-pets-and-where-to-find-them#tabs-name-beast-132
    ~
    If you're just starting out I'd focus on getting the following pets (for PvE):

unborn val'kyr
    anubisath idol
    pandaren water spirit
    chrominius
    mechanical pandaren dragonling
    emerald proto-whelp (p/p)
    gilnean raven or crow (s/s)
    I like a Black Rat does the job instead of Chrominius with the Pandaren Water Spirit to make Mirecroak easy. Being a critter frog kiss does not polymorph :D
    This is a good supplement to "which pet should I level next".
    The Lifelike Mechanical Frostboar is easy to acquire and has a very solid PvE ability set for leveling up new pets. Not much for high burst but one I find myself returning to a lot. Anything with pounce and a high damage ability to capitalize is critical for the little stiches guy is at the menagerie, the iron thread ability is too stronk for most pets to do any damage. Rotten Squirrel is an easy to get pet that combos well with any DoT pets: regular squirrel, sister of temptation, etc.