New Honor Set - Why has this been implimented

Arenas
Prev 1 2 3 4 15 Next
07/06/2015 01:50 PMPosted by Sadistz
07/06/2015 01:38 PMPosted by Lore
I also like that it puts everyone on an even playing field gear-wise from the get-go.

You realize that if everyone started out in 690 primal gear going into S2, it would be much more of an even playing field because primal glad gear can't roll warforged or sockets, unlike this new honor gear. The 1 week intermission should have just made primal glad gear available from honor vendors.
itt ppl complaining that pvp requires a bit of effort to gear, ever hear of vanilla / bc ? we where not giving wellfare epics to make things "fair". MMORPG's are about progressing your character, learn the grind and enjoy it.
Speaking from personal opinion here, and not specifically on behalf of the dev team:

Personally, I love that Honor gear is relevant even after participating in the previous season. I love doing random BG's, and winning (or even just earning a Bronze or Silver Strongbox) feels a lot more rewarding when there's an actual meaningful reward from it.

I also like that it puts everyone on an even playing field gear-wise from the get-go. It's good to have the opportunity for someone who didn't participate in the previous season (or wants to switch to a character they didn't gear) to not find themselves in an environment where they're already outgeared by most of their opponents. In that first week or two where you're gearing up your Honor set, you're mostly facing opponents who are doing the same. Players are more likely to continue to enjoy PvP when they feel like they actually have a fighting chance.

Ultimately, I think the biggest issue with the Honor re-gear isn't the Honor gear itself, it's the queue times necessary to earn Honor. Gearing my Horde character, I had nearly instant queue times for Random BGs. I was also fortunate to win the majority of the Random BGs I played, and the ones I lost we were generally able to earn a Silver Strongbox. I can totally see how it could have been very frustrating if I had to sit through 20 minute queue times for Random BGs, or potentially hours to get into Ashran.

In the short term, I'm not sure what can be done for Alliance queue times. If there aren't any Horde to fight, the game can't create a match. Longer-term, we have some ideas that we think will help, but we're not ready to share details just yet.

your pompoms are getting a little ragged.
Racial balance is certainly a factor, and it's one we intend to improve. We don't think simply balancing racials will automatically fix the current issue, however.

Say, hypothetically speaking, racial balance were to suddenly stop being a factor. Maybe we figured out a way to tune everything perfectly, maybe we just deleted racials forever -- whatever the solution was, racials aren't a consideration for PvP any more. What happens next? Do half of the Alliance decide to faction transfer?

Realistically, queue times are only really a problem for Random Battlegrounds and Ashran (and sometimes in very high-rated play, but that's not a faction-related issue). Once you have full Honor gear, it's pretty much just Ashran that you'll be waiting in queue for. And if you're a serious Alliance PvPer, you've probably made a lot of Alliance friends that you'd no longer be able to play with if you went Horde. Is the faster Ashran queue worth potentially giving that up?

For some people, maybe. For others, maybe not. Like I said, racial balance is something we intend to improve, but we're not sure that fixing racials alone will solve the queue problems. So, we're kicking around some other ideas as well.
07/06/2015 01:55 PMPosted by Ariesmet
It was really annoying having to grind out an honor set even though I was conquest geared from the previous season. This gets especially tedious when people have several characters that they use to pvp with.

You guys really should consider the old system of simply making the previous season's conquest gear available for honor. I don't know why this was changed in the first place. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

If the issue is people being undergeared or feeling like they don't have a chance, just scale the old gear up in pvp. Please don't make us grind like this between every season going forward. It's not fun or interesting gameplay.
07/06/2015 01:34 AMPosted by Doppyfildo
SHAME *DING DING* SHAME *DING DING*

Three dings are required.

"Then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out."

I think you need to "take a walk".

(I realize that it was the word shame three times, followed by one ring of the bell ... I just really wanted to work in the Holy Grail reference.)
07/06/2015 02:17 PMPosted by Unfundedx
itt ppl complaining that pvp requires a bit of effort to gear, ever hear of vanilla / bc ? we where not giving wellfare epics to make things "fair". MMORPG's are about progressing your character, learn the grind and enjoy it.

Actually the term "Welfare epics" was coined in BC, when Blizz introduced epics for tokens. And guess what the easiest weapons were to get at that point in the game? That's right, PvP weapons. I can't recall the name of it, but I had an ilevel 130something 2-handed mace (more like a morning star on a stick) just before the 3.0 patch.
When are you fixing the RNG / BiS fiasco that you've created?
07/06/2015 01:48 PMPosted by Péppérs
ally vs ally horde vs horde

Or just x-faction arena.
Players are more likely to continue to enjoy PvP when they feel like they actually have a fighting chance.

Except in the other thread with 72 pages and almost 2k upvotes where literally everyone disagrees with your reasoning behind RNG gearing (and you continue to ignore btw lol), you said half the people who PvP enjoy stomping on players when they get the best gear, implying that their opponents are undergeared...meaning that their opponent does not have a fighting chance. You literally do not make sense. If players are more likely to PvP when they have a fighting chance, how is it fair if player A gets lucky and collects all the BiS gear each week, and player B does not get lucky and doesn't collect any because of RNG?

You say that there's a difference between disagreeing and disregarding, but in this case their isn't. When 99% of your player base is telling you that this is a piss-poor way of gearing and you guys essentially say, nah we're going to keep it this way, you are disregarding your entire player base.
07/06/2015 02:18 PMPosted by Lore
Say, hypothetically speaking, racial balance were to suddenly stop being a factor. Maybe we figured out a way to tune everything perfectly, maybe we just deleted racials forever -- whatever the solution was, racials aren't a consideration for PvP any more. What happens next? Do half of the Alliance decide to faction transfer?

make free xfers to horde and redeem yourselves
i'm optimistic
Longer-term, we have some ideas that we think will help, but we're not ready to share details just yet.

I am worried that when you are ready a load of people will have already left.
Lore i love you... but the reason behind ques being so fast for you as horde... are because the Alliance had a giant influx of transfers from horde to ally...
07/06/2015 02:22 PMPosted by Gorillatko
Players are more likely to continue to enjoy PvP when they feel like they actually have a fighting chance.

Except in the other thread with 72 pages and almost 2k upvotes where literally everyone disagrees with your reasoning behind RNG gearing (and you continue to ignore btw lol), you said half the people who PvP enjoy stomping on players when they get the best gear, implying that their opponents are undergeared...meaning that their opponent does not have a fighting chance. You literally do not make sense. If players are more likely to PvP when they have a fighting chance, how is it fair if player A gets lucky and collects all the BiS gear each week, and player B does not get lucky and doesn't collect any because of RNG?

You say that there's a difference between disagreeing and disregarding, but in this case their isn't. When 99% of your player base is telling you that this is a piss-poor way of gearing and you guys essentially say, nah we're going to keep it this way, you are disregarding your entire player base.

Lore does not compute such rationality
approach with caution lest you rouse holanka
Racial balance is certainly a factor, and it's one we intend to improve. We don't think simply balancing racials will automatically fix the current issue, however.

It wouldn't solve the current issues, but I think we'd be pleasantly surprised how much it would help.
High-end players wouldn't be forced to roll ally. Some high-end streamers have stated in passing that they would much prefer to play Horde. Then some of the stream watchers would follow, as always happens.

I'd be very curious to see the actual result...

Realistically, queue times are only really a problem for Random Battlegrounds and Ashran (and sometimes in very high-rated play, but that's not a faction-related issue). Once you have full Honor gear, it's pretty much just Ashran that you'll be waiting in queue for. And if you're a serious Alliance PvPer, you've probably made a lot of Alliance friends that you'd no longer be able to play with if you went Horde. Is the faster Ashran queue worth potentially giving that up?

For some people, maybe. For others, maybe not. Like I said, racial balance is something we intend to improve, but we're not sure that fixing racials alone will solve the queue problems. So, we're kicking around some other ideas as well.

Offer free faction change for heavy horde pvp servers. When the faction balance is closer to 50%, disable it. You did this with the server xfers on heavy servers.

It's not rocket science. /facepalm

Free faction changes + WOTF = EMFH

literally the fix

how is that NOT the fix?
I do not think i have ever actually laughed out loud at a blue post, but his repeated use of the word "balance" in pvp is very funny.
God help pvp when the developers don't know the actual meaning of words......

Other ideas...Let me guess....Next expansion right?
how has it been 8 months and factions still aren't fixed

why have you been fixing imaginary 'problems' with gearing (read: creating real problems with gearing) instead of fixing this

why are priests still garbage

why are paladins still gods

why are you fixing imaginary problems instead of real ones