Multiboxing

Customer Support
It should be noted that you should use extreme care in picking a key cloning program. As there are a few out there, that also allow some automation, and just simple key press duplication.
07/16/2015 03:07 PMPosted by Rèalist
I do think GM's do it to check the players response

But they don't. They would look into whether or not you're a bot, and report it to another team for further studying. Then your account would be actioned (suspended or banned completely) if it was found to be breaking the rules.

But since Multiboxing doesn't violate any rules, nothing would be done from the false reports.
Picture 5 people are standing in different rooms. These are the clients. There is 1 person in the control room. This is the user.

Botting is the user giving the Clients a list of instructions to follow then go about their business.

Multiboxing is the user telling the clients what to do, one action a a time.

Multiboxing software is a PA system link to each room.

The ToS prevents people from using lists of instructions but PA systems are fine.
07/16/2015 02:25 PMPosted by Vrakthris
07/16/2015 12:33 PMPosted by Gimolos
The confusion stems from reconciling how having one key press produce 5 actions on 5 distinct clients is not considered automation for 4 of them. Yet having 1 key produce 5 actions on the same client is considered automation.

Ruby puts is fairly well here.
07/16/2015 02:01 PMPosted by Rûby
The term "multiboxing" comes from using more than one computer (a "box") to run multiple instances of a game. Long before WoW and any software solutions were around, multiboxers used one wireless keyboard with a wireless receiver attached to each "box". No software. At all.

Even today, there are multiboxers who still do it that way. To multibox does not require any special software. The software just helps reduce the number of computers you need, since today's computers are capable of running more than one instance of the game, unlike many years ago.

The difference is often how it functions. Imagine you had a wireless keyboard, that you hooked up to multiple computers. Every movement you made and key you pressed would be relayed to multiple computers and thus multiple characters. The programs available often just make that task a bit easier and not require multiple systems, depending on how beefy your system is. Not a lot of systems can manage to run multiple clients.

Pressing 1 key and taking 5 actions on a single character/client is different as it allows a functionality that is not intended within the game.

07/16/2015 01:54 PMPosted by Gimolos
I don't have a problem with boxers, heck I even use a trial account in addition to my main for some things, but it's only permitted because it makes Blizz more in subs. A literal reading of the TOU prohibits it.

That is entirely untrue and always has been. One could argue that the frustration that a single multiboxer can cause actually costs subs, since a player who is frustrated that their character was killed by a single person (5 characters, but single real world person), may leave because of it.

Multiboxing is not unique to World of Warcraft, it has been happening in these types of games for a very long time. The fact of the matter is that there is nothing in our policies that would prohibit such actions. You are allowed to have multiple World of Warcraft licenses as well as Battle.net accounts. If that was prohibited that would also restrict minors from being able to play the game along with their parents as the account needs to be registered to the parent or legal guardian of a minor that is under 13. So if they allowed their child to play they would be restricted from doing so, if such policies did not otherwise allow for it.

Feel free to quote the section you are referring to, Gimolos, and I will try to clarify.

~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~*~~~~~~~~~

How's my driving? [url="https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Vrakthris"]Click me[/url].

I require no clarification. Blizzard has decided to allow the practice. This is clear and I never disputed it. I pointed out it constitutes automation. I knew this was not Blizzard's view of the matter when I said it, but it IS the view of some players. I was explaining where the confusion came from and that was all. We will not agree on our interpretation of what constitutes "automation," and therefore are at an impasse. Neither of us has the ability to redefine words in the English language however, and BOTH of our interpretations can be argued as valid ones under the definition of the word.

I know it seems like I'm being difficult here, but I just can't call a spade a shovel because everyone else decides to.

The ToU could use a multibox clause, making it clear the practice is permitted. This would do more to clear up the confusion some players have than a thousand forum posts.
07/16/2015 04:58 PMPosted by Gimolos
I pointed out it constitutes automation

But that's the thing, it doesn't.

This has been explained in this thread and in countless other threads about the same topic over the years.
07/16/2015 05:02 PMPosted by Nephe
I pointed out it constitutes automation

But that's the thing, it doesn't.

This has been explained in this thread and in countless other threads about the same topic over the years.

And I obviously reject that conclusion.

Automation(n): : automatically controlled operation of an apparatus, process, or system by mechanical or electronic devices that take the place of human labor

By key cloning or otherwise splitting the signal, even with hardware, you have removed the manual labor requirement of hitting 5 separate keys. You have automated the process on 4 out of 5 machines.

My interpretation is very much consistent with the definition of the word. The fact Blizzard does not CONSIDER this to be automation is relevant for those concerned with punishments, like the OP.

Their decision to not consider this automation does not however alleviate the confusion caused by the word itself. The word is the entire problem really. If it weren't, threads like this one would be much less common.
Just so you know, it doesn't matter what meaning you used because it what Blizz call botting and not matters. They make the rules and they see fit on what falls under the term botting and what doesn't. It works that way and it isn't going to change anytime soon.
07/16/2015 05:22 PMPosted by Tolna
Just so you know, it doesn't matter what meaning you used because it what Blizz call botting and not matters. They make the rules and they see fit on what falls under the term botting and what doesn't. It works that way and it isn't going to change anytime soon.

I never disputed any of this.

The entire issue is that they use a term where a process or activity could reasonably be construed as a TOS violation, then the players have to come HERE for clarification. Instead, they should just put a clause directly into the ToU about keycloning and multiboxing, saying it is permitted.

I'm going to step out now. My only reason for being here was to explain why players are confused on this issue and offer suggestions on how to alleviate that issue. It was not to get into a debate over "automation."
07/16/2015 05:15 PMPosted by Gimolos

You don't get a vote.

Blizzard makes their own rules.

Multi boxing is not new. Multi boxing is not isolated to WoW. ALL MMO's have it. All.

Also? While not currently against any policy, it is unsupported.

Which is why they will never

07/16/2015 05:27 PMPosted by Gimolos
put a clause directly into the ToU about keycloning and multiboxing, saying it is permitted.

Seriously. This is a dead issue. One which has been beat to death for 10 years now.

Leave the horsey alone. He's dead Jim.
07/16/2015 05:22 PMPosted by Tolna

I never disputed any of this.

The entire issue is that they use a term where a process or activity could reasonably be construed as a TOS violation, then the players have to come HERE for clarification. Instead, they should just put a clause directly into the ToU about keycloning and multiboxing, saying it is permitted.

I'm going to step out now. My only reason for being here was to explain why players are confused on this issue and offer suggestions on how to alleviate that issue. It was not to get into a debate over "automation."

What do you think this forum is for? It's to help people understand the rules and help with account issues. This forum is MADE for this kind of thing. People had gone over this countless times where players can look up posts talking about this and find the answers on their own and help themselves.
My only reason for being here was to explain why players are confused on this issue and offer suggestions on how to alleviate that issue. It was not to get into a debate over "automation."
This isn't the place for suggestions. Suggestions of this nature would be better suited to the General forum. There's also an in-game suggestion box in the Customer Support interface.

To be clear (since that seems to be a buzzword in this topic), the policy is better defined as "one keypress, one action per game client".

My interpretation is very much consistent with the definition of the word.

Your interpretation, frankly, doesn't carry any weight. The only interpretation that matters is Blizzard's.
07/16/2015 05:35 PMPosted by Thunderwulf

You don't get a vote.

Blizzard makes their own rules.

Multi boxing is not new. Multi boxing is not isolated to WoW. ALL MMO's have it. All.

Also? While not currently against any policy, it is unsupported.

Which is why they will never

put a clause directly into the ToU about keycloning and multiboxing, saying it is permitted.

Seriously. This is a dead issue. One which has been beat to death for 10 years now.

Leave the horsey alone. He's dead Jim.

A vote for what? I never once said this was against Blizzard's rules, and have repeatedly said it is legal. Let me repeat that for emphasis. I AM NOT DISPUTING THAT MULTIBOXING IS ALLOWED BY BLIZZARD.

I do not however require anybody's permission to see that using an ambiguous term like 'automation" leads to confusion, and that using the forums to constantly clarify what should be explicitly stated in the ToU is an incredible waste of everyone's time. They do not have to support something to permit it.

The fact is they make money off of this practice. Blue's example of 1 guy maybe quitting is trumped by the guaranteed retention of FIVE subscriptions from the multiboxer who killed him. Four of which would be immediately lost if they ever decided to bar the practice.

In my view, the likely reason for not authorizing this in the ToU directly is so they can later use the very same language present under MY interpretation to prohibit it without any recourse for the now banned players. It's ambigous on purpose to allow them to change their minds if circumstances dictate a need for it.
This is not a feedback forum.

If you'd like to suggest it be added to the TOU ( it won't) then you'll need to avail yourself of the in game suggestions feature.

Blues here are not developers nor liaisons to them or the other teams.

This forum is a player to player, Blizzard moderated, assistance forum where we help to clarify policy issuesand direct people to the proper venue to address their in gae and account issues.

07/16/2015 05:47 PMPosted by Gimolos
Let me repeat that for emphasis

Don't bother.

Your breath is wasted here.

Blizzard's stance on this issue has been clarified.
They have been anything but "ambiguous" on the fourms here. As pointed out, there are hundreds if not thousands of threads with Blizz employees saying that it doesn't violate rules nor is it automation to use a keyclone software.

Are the rules left in such a way that they could change their minds, sure ALL if them are pretty much written that way.

There's even a clause that they can close your account for literally NO reason whatsoever.

So what's your point here Gimolos? If you disagree with it, then use the ingame suggestion feature. If you think this currently violates the TOU, you're simply mistaken.
How much you get trolled will depend on how you play.

1) Multiboxers in BGs are really hated. It's incredibly unfair. I don't see them anymore so maybe Blizz fixed that. I hope so.

2) Multiboxing in random dungeon finder with less than the full 5 characters, then ignoring other players, skipping bosses that you don't need loot from, rolling need on 3 or 4 characters for an armor you want for one or even none of your character, etc. will make you hated. Play nice. Play fair. If you multibox a priest and warrior for example, and roll need on both for a green robe, don't be shocked when your warrior gets kicked because another caster needed that robe too.

Other than that, good luck and have fun.
I require no clarification. Blizzard has decided to allow the practice. This is clear and I never disputed it. I pointed out it constitutes automation. I knew this was not Blizzard's view of the matter when I said it, but it IS the view of some players. I was explaining where the confusion came from and that was all. We will not agree on our interpretation of what constitutes "automation," and therefore are at an impasse. Neither of us has the ability to redefine words in the English language however, and BOTH of our interpretations can be argued as valid ones under the definition of the word.

Thank you for the clarification on your original statement, Gimolos. It isn't that I wished to redefine any English words, but I wanted to make sure that you were not misinterpreting any specific sections of the Terms of Use.

Of course if you consider multiboxing to be akin to automation then you would view certain sections of the Terms of Use as specifically prohibiting the behavior. That isn't what I was referring to when I asked.

The ToU could use a multibox clause, making it clear the practice is permitted. This would do more to clear up the confusion some players have than a thousand forum posts.

When it comes to policies the Terms of Use generally covers what type of behavior is prohibited, it spells out very view things that are allowed. Multiboxing while not prohibited is also not supported, and thus would not be added to the Terms of Use as an unsupported by permitted play style.

Clarification can be gained by simply googling "multiboxing", "WoW" and "Blue", you could probably leave out "blue", but that tends to have the best results if you are looking for a Blizzard statement on it. You will usually find multiple posts that either we have provided clarification or someone is quoting where we have provided clarification.

Automation(n): : automatically controlled operation of an apparatus, process, or system by mechanical or electronic devices that take the place of human labor

By key cloning or otherwise splitting the signal, even with hardware, you have removed the manual labor requirement of hitting 5 separate keys. You have automated the process on 4 out of 5 machines.

By that definition a macro, available in-game, could be considered automation. A macro will often do more than one thing, but no more than the system allows. Additionally, a keycloning program can do the same thing as if you were to attach a single keyboard to multiple computers. Which could not be considered automation anymore than if one keyboard were to control a single character. Otherwise no one would be able to play at all.

Automation in this case is to operate a single or multiple characters without direct input.

They do not have to support something to permit it.

No, but we do not have to specifically state something as permitted in the Terms of Use for it to be allowed. Otherwise the Terms of Use would contain a great deal more to cover just about every eventuality.

i.e. You may eat a sandwich while playing World of Warcraft, though one hand must be on your keyboard at all times unless you specifically say that you are away from your keyboard before you do.

Silly, I know, but that is the point. It is near impossible to provide a list of all allowed behavior. The rules cover the basics of what you can do and much of what you should not and that is it.

The fact is they make money off of this practice. Blue's example of 1 guy maybe quitting is trumped by the guaranteed retention of FIVE subscriptions from the multiboxer who killed him. Four of which would be immediately lost if they ever decided to bar the practice.

My example didn't mean that for every multiboxer a single player who encounters them may stop playing. It meant to explain that the negative reaction to a multiboxer is often a bigger factor that may impact the game experience for multiple players that may impact their continued presence in the game. That overall a multiboxer could potentially deter more subscriptions than they alone would provide.

In my view, the likely reason for not authorizing this in the ToU directly is so they can later use the very same language present under MY interpretation to prohibit it without any recourse for the now banned players. It's ambigous on purpose to allow them to change their minds if circumstances dictate a need for it.

As noted, we have a clause stating that we may close an account for any reason we choose. We do not need to be vague just in case we change our minds. Our stance on multiboxing has existed since the very beginning and I can say with a great deal of certainty that if we ever decided to prohibit that particular play style that we would announce it and provide a grace period before the policy went into effect.

I will leave this thread open for now but please, everyone, remember to participation in the discussion should remain civil. Disagreeing with the policy or interpretation is one thing but avoid attacking the person who disagrees.
The difference is often how it functions. Imagine you had a wireless keyboard, that you hooked up to multiple computers. Every movement you made and key you pressed would be relayed to multiple computers and thus multiple characters. The programs available often just make that task a bit easier and not require multiple systems, depending on how beefy your system is. Not a lot of systems can manage to run multiple clients.

Pressing 1 key and taking 5 actions on a single character/client is different as it allows a functionality that is not intended within the game.

I am by no means anti-boxers, but I entirely disagree with your reasoning here, you're creating an entirely false dichotemy: FACT is pressing one key and causing FIVE characters in FIVE clients to react at the same time is AUTOMATION!

The only 'boxing that doesn't break what is WRITTEN in your TOS is using a traditional KVM and MANUALLY switching focus between clients and playing each client INDIVIDUALLY.

That's the way I dual-box in WOW and some other games, ISBoxer (which is the software you're not naming here) is AUTOMATION, to argue otherwise is disingenuous at best, I'd say it's specious.
07/17/2015 12:50 AMPosted by Kookshelper
FACT is pressing one key and causing FIVE characters in FIVE clients to react at the same time is AUTOMATION!

No its not.

Its one key press causing one action in a client, the number of clients does not matter.
07/17/2015 12:50 AMPosted by Kookshelper
I am by no means anti-boxers, but I entirely disagree with your reasoning here, you're creating an entirely false dichotemy: FACT is pressing one key and causing FIVE characters in FIVE clients to react at the same time is AUTOMATION!

The only 'boxing that doesn't break what is WRITTEN in your TOS is using a traditional KVM and MANUALLY switching focus between clients and playing each client INDIVIDUALLY.

That's the way I dual-box in WOW and some other games, ISBoxer (which is the software you're not naming here) is AUTOMATION, to argue otherwise is disingenuous at best, I'd say it's specious.

Blizzard obviously disagrees with you.

So, rather than trying to argue your interpretation of Automation on Blizzard's forums, in regards to how it applies to THEIR game...

Just take their answer, accept it and move on.

If you want to get it changed to YOUR interpretation, feel free to make a suggestion using the in game suggestion tool, or apply for a job at Blizzard so you can effect change from within.

Start here:

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/careers/index.html

that take the place of human labor

This is where you are getting hung up.

Think of multiboxing as one lever connected to multiple other levers. Human labor pulls on one level, but it in doing so, that same effort (the human labor part) causes the other levers to move as well in unison. That is not automation by the very definition you gave, and is what multiboxing is.

You have proven yourself wrong.