Dear Zarhym,

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 15 Next
07/30/2015 02:45 PMPosted by Lazeelaz
07/30/2015 02:38 PMPosted by Zarhym
Don't tease me to tease you about being teased! (I got lost writing that.)

Seriously, even though there are people frustrated with aspects of Warlords, or simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game, I hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there. It should be a fun event next week. I trust that many people in this community can check any baggage they might have at the door and earnestly step into the announcement with us.

It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

I can say no more!

But you didn't say anything....

Ah, but he did.

Seriously, even though there are people frustrated with aspects of Warlords, or simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game, I hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there. It should be a fun event next week. I trust that many people in this community can check any baggage they might have at the door and earnestly step into the announcement with us.

It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

I can say no more!

I'm not not saying I'm not not saying anything, I'm just not not not going to say anything.
I trust that many people in this community can check any baggage they might have at the door and earnestly step into the announcement with us.

That's asking a lot after tearing down our trust with Warlords.

D'oh!

At least he posted that he can't say anything. He's so cute.

07/30/2015 02:49 PMPosted by Newshoes
So sick of listening to this excuse, stop blaming bad game design on people just getting "tired" of playing.

And that's the kind of not-cute baggage to leave behind. There are lots of us not tired of playing even after 10 years of (almost) daily play.

And then, when people don't like what lies ahead and start talking about it, locking those new coversations!
Seriously, even though there are people frustrated with aspects of Warlords, or simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game

Just wanted to chime in here to say..... gosh I hate how Garrisons is so mandatory.

Other than that WoD was a great game, albeit a little waif.
We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

What's the point of getting new conversations going if the Devs are already on a war path to water down the game even more while increasing cash shop content and disregarding any legitimate playerbase concerns?

More of the same:
"guys, we've learned a lot from the last expansion"; "guys, we heard what you have to say but that doesn't mean we'll be implementing what players really want"
"guys, we made a mistake going a certain direction so we'll take a fresh look at lessons learned from the last expansion"; "guys, players don't always know what they want or what's best for the game so we'll be doing what we do anyways"

Yeah, looking forward to new conversations about more rehashed content repackaged as expansion/patches.
lies ahead!

This should be the warning they play before the announce.
07/30/2015 02:45 PMPosted by Malveillance
It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going.

Is that not hype? lol

I mean, that's the thing. Hype is innately a part of announcing a thing. I've just seen a lot of people talk about our "hype machine" in a highly cynical fashion lately. I know it's because we've announced some things and then changed our plans or cut them further along in development.

I'll just say that we're sensitive to that. Our intent is never to share big ideas or plans purely for the purposes of generating additional hype. All that's going to do is breed frustration and mistrust down the road. None of us chose careers in snake oil sales.

I can say no more!

I'll give it a look, Zar, but not gonna make any promises. Hope the team learned some things.
07/30/2015 02:45 PMPosted by Malveillance

Is that not hype? lol

I mean, that's the thing. Hype is innately a part of announcing a thing. I've just seen a lot of people talk about our "hype machine" in a highly cynical fashion lately. I know it's because we've announced some things and then changed our plans or cut them further along in development.

I'll just say that we're sensitive to that. Our intent is never to share big ideas or plans purely for the purposes of generating additional hype. All that's going to do is breed frustration and mistrust down the road. None of us chose careers in snake oil sales.

can i buy some snake oil? i need to use it to sharpen my blade for the next expansion.

I can say no more!

Now that I can respect. p.s. when is 6.2x coming? As slow as I am I'm almost revered with most of the factions.
Zarhym, please understand that at this point many of your players are "gun shy" to say the least, outright disgusted in some cases. Anything you guys say in this big announcement is going to be met with more than a little wariness on the part of your player base.

I can say no more!

It would help if you didn't refer to player concerns as "baggage" because that's pretty condescending, in my opinion.
07/30/2015 03:02 PMPosted by Alarienne
It would help if you didn't refer to player concerns as "baggage" because that's pretty condescending, in my opinion.

I really don't think that was his intent.

I can say no more!

Of course our curiosity is there.

What is also present are the specific reasons that have led to the lowest engagement levels I've seen in all of my years serving as a steward of a guild. Those include a solo-oriented story and content vehicle that runs counter to the nature of MMOs (i.e. Garrison/Shipyard), a criminal lack of engaging non-raid content (remember when MMOs used to be about Dungeons?), a plot vehicle that hasn't been cool since we found JR getting shot was all a dream over 30 years ago (i.e. alternate universe; can't believe you wasted the return of the Legion on a throwaway timeline) and a punishing raid meta game (eg. separate lockouts - which is a shame because the actual encounters have been fantastic).

Aside from curiosity, you mentioned the hope that we could check our baggage. Well, MY hope is that your team is agile enough to course correct away from the stuff that clearly hasn't worked in WoD.
I'm excited about the expansion. I'm less excited than I was for the last three announcements, but low expectations are often a good thing.
I have baggage, I'll admit it.

I have played wow since 2004

I played D&D before that

Life and kids and stroke happened and I still play wow.

It has been a consistent solace to me.

When I feel jerked around by people that I expect much better from I get frustrated.

I know how this game has been at its ups and downs.

I can see what It could yet become, and I worry that it will falter and I'll be left with something I can't be part of, so I get really upset when things like flying are taken away, and then I feel manipulated by things like the deluxe expansion featuring a flying mount.

Then posters com on and start saying that months and even years can be counted in weeks.

I want the old trust I had.

I currently plan on waiting to buy the expac until I see flying in game.

If I buy it early it will be with an iron clad promise, chiseled in stone that flying (I'm ok with something like pathfinder) will be present from the moment it launches.

I really want to see my faith restored, but once I start feeling done wrong, it is really hard to restore faith.

I tell my kids, Honor takes a life time to build. One dishonorable thing and you loose it and can never fully regain it. Same for trust or integrity.

Anyway, I respect that you at least posted something Zarhym. I know ya'll have rules and don't want to loose your job. Good on you for not wanting to be a snake oil salesman. Pass that feeling around to the top dogs. It's them I have suspicions of.

Partisan