Dear Zarhym,

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 15 Next
07/30/2015 03:02 PMPosted by Alarienne
07/30/2015 02:38 PMPosted by Zarhym
Don't tease me to tease you about being teased! (I got lost writing that.)

Seriously, even though there are people frustrated with aspects of Warlords, or simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game, I hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there. It should be a fun event next week. I trust that many people in this community can check any baggage they might have at the door and earnestly step into the announcement with us.

It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

I can say no more!

It would help if you didn't refer to player concerns as "baggage" because that's pretty condescending, in my opinion.

I wasn't referring to player concerns. Concerns generally stem from an earnest place, and we respect that many people have them. I was referring more to people who have maybe already judged what we have yet to announce, as well as how it fits into our grand scheme of being the most evil game designers we can be, because reasons. Like:

07/30/2015 02:52 PMPosted by Dessertfork
We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

What's the point of getting new conversations going if the Devs are already on a war path to water down the game even more while increasing cash shop content and disregarding any legitimate playerbase concerns?

More of the same:
"guys, we've learned a lot from the last expansion"; "guys, we heard what you have to say but that doesn't mean we'll be implementing what players really want"
"guys, we made a mistake going a certain direction so we'll take a fresh look at lessons learned from the last expansion"; "guys, players don't always know what they want or what's best for the game so we'll be doing what we do anyways"

Yeah, looking forward to new conversations about more rehashed content repackaged as expansion/patches.
07/30/2015 03:25 PMPosted by Saninicus
Ion: we did a lot wrong in wod 6.1 should've been 6.0.x due to little content.
I think Ion might be too smart for management. Send that man back to the raid team where honest and insightful statements are helpful.
07/30/2015 03:30 PMPosted by Planeshaper

Well, just calling it "avoidance PR" kind of carries a negative connotation with it :p
I called it what it is. They don't want to focus on the past, so they deflect onto what they're there to talk about. They're avoiding talking about WoD. If people want to attach a negative connotation to that, that's up to them. If I was in Blizzard's position, I would do the same thing.
What a brutal job sometimes; I hope for the most part it's still enjoyable.

Have to admit I'm a little disappointed that there's only one major content patch for a more expensive expansion, I personally really preferred the style of Wrath where it was more drawn out with several content patches. Nothing felt rushed (ToC may have been, recycled Naxx etc), but right now.. idk. Mixed emotions.

Does this mean yearly updates to world events too? Going to be strange only doing some of them once per expansion now.
I wasn't referring to player concerns. Concerns generally stem from an earnest place, and we respect that many people have them. I was referring more to people who have maybe already judged what we have yet to announce, as well as how it fits into our grand scheme of being the most evil game designers we can be, because reasons.

Maybe they have those prejudices for all future content due to feeling like concerns that have been voiced for months went unheard?

I'm not saying people should prejudge or that Blizzard is the root of all evil. Instead maybe both sides here need to work on better communication as to what the other side is saying.
I hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there.

It's practically all I can think about.

Warlords tripped, and I really want to see whatever's next land a solid step so WoW doesn't fall down. I want to enjoy this game.
hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there. It should be a fun event next week

More like a forlorn hope.
07/30/2015 03:36 PMPosted by Rixna
Warlords tripped, and I really want to see whatever's next land a solid step so WoW doesn't fall down. I want to enjoy this game.
There's a pretty long development pipeline and many problems simply can't be hotfixed (at least not without outraging a section of the community). For this reason, it's not too important that Blizz dwell on what is wrong now. If the problems we see today aren't present in Blizzard's vision for the future, then I'm prepared to accept they learned the lessons that can be learned from WoD.

Whether they eventually implement all of what they propose next week shall remain to be seen >.>

I just hope Zarhym and co. have been busy getting all of our collective feedback back to the decision makers and the developers. We're rude and dumb sometimes, but the sludge and vitriol on these forums can be distilled to a pretty good indication of what the community, broadly, wants.
I'll never understand the logic of people who constantly complain about the game yet still play it. It's like 90% of the player-base are a bunch of masochists.
I just love the story more then anything.. and that's what's kept me in the game so long, coupled with so many memories.

I may not pvp like I used to, nor raid like I used to, the story and open world are where I enjoy myself most.

I hope that we can see more living world stuff to do soon!
07/30/2015 03:30 PMPosted by Zarhym
07/30/2015 03:02 PMPosted by Alarienne

It would help if you didn't refer to player concerns as "baggage" because that's pretty condescending, in my opinion.

I wasn't referring to player concerns. Concerns generally stem from an earnest place, and we respect that many people have them. I was referring more to people who have maybe already judged what we have yet to announce, as well as how it fits into our grand scheme of being the most evil game designers we can be, because reasons. Like:

07/30/2015 02:52 PMPosted by Dessertfork

What's the point of getting new conversations going if the Devs are already on a war path to water down the game even more while increasing cash shop content and disregarding any legitimate playerbase concerns?

More of the same:
"guys, we've learned a lot from the last expansion"; "guys, we heard what you have to say but that doesn't mean we'll be implementing what players really want"
"guys, we made a mistake going a certain direction so we'll take a fresh look at lessons learned from the last expansion"; "guys, players don't always know what they want or what's best for the game so we'll be doing what we do anyways"

Yeah, looking forward to new conversations about more rehashed content repackaged as expansion/patches.

You can typically divorce a fair amount of negative criticism from the majority of happy gamers - at least in expansions past. WoD, however, has had a very polarizing effect - you now see very unconstructive threads often getting hundreds of upvotes with anyone who has the gall to say WoD was anything less than crap gets buried.

That's not a good place to be rushing out a new expansion from - you have to be realistic. Folks are going to be skeptical until Blizzard has earned back their trust.

And, this time, it will take more than just listening to what you have planned - we've been burned on that before. The WoD Blizzard announced was *nothing* like the one we got.
Don't tease me to tease you about being teased! (I got lost writing that.)

Seriously, even though there are people frustrated with aspects of Warlords, or simply just a little worn out from spending so many years playing this game, I hope your curiosity about what we've got cooking is still there. It should be a fun event next week. I trust that many people in this community can check any baggage they might have at the door and earnestly step into the announcement with us.

It's not just about building hype either. We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going. :)

I can say no more!

Oh, I'm curious about what the next expansion will be. I'm even kind of excited for it, and am looking forward to next weekend.

That said, I'm also pretty upset that I spent more on this expansion than on previous ones, only to have it effectively last less than a year and have significantly less content. I'm ticked off that Blizzard has squandered the opportunities and potential that were inherent in WoD. I mean, just because the story line that got us to Draenor is (nonsensically) over doesn't mean that you guys couldn't have transitioned into a new story in a different direction. But apparently it's been decided to just throw in the towel and, quite frankly, it feels almost like you're ripping your customers off.

What I'm really pissed about, though, is the fact that there hasn't been some sort of forum or blog post from Blizzard that's at least tried to justify what's happening here. I mean, there hasn't even been an attempt to explain why you're moving on from WoD already, and how that's an okay thing to do considering what you charged for the expansion.

Sorry you caught the brunt of this, Zarhym. I know you're just trying to do your job.
I was referring more to people who have maybe already judged what we have yet to announce, as well as how it fits into our grand scheme of being the most evil game designers we can be, because reasons.

A couple of us have been burned by all the stuff that went down during this recent expansion, so I'm sure you understand there's going to be initial skepticism, even before anything has even been revealed.

Me personally, I'll be reserving my criticisms until I have more information. But I suppose I would be lying if I didn't say I was a least a little curious for what's in store.
07/30/2015 03:32 PMPosted by Geven
07/30/2015 03:30 PMPosted by Planeshaper

Well, just calling it "avoidance PR" kind of carries a negative connotation with it :p
I called it what it is. They don't want to focus on the past, so they deflect onto what they're there to talk about. They're avoiding talking about WoD. If people want to attach a negative connotation to that, that's up to them. If I was in Blizzard's position, I would do the same thing.

edit: sorry misread your post

I'm just fed up with all the haters, hating so hard it's like they're getting paid to do it.

I am more then willing to admit I fall into this group. Not because I think that the game designers are evil but because I really believe they do not care. WoD really killed any kind of faith, trust or respect that I had for Blizzard as a company. Those things are just not going to be won back with an announcement.

I still have hope for the game and there are still parts I enjoy. But looking at the announcement without baggage or with an open mind is just not going to happen. I used to do that with expansions in the past but I have learned better.
07/30/2015 03:36 PMPosted by Rixna
It's practically all I can think about.

Pretty much my stance here as well.
07/30/2015 03:46 PMPosted by Yoduhde
07/30/2015 03:32 PMPosted by Geven
...I called it what it is. They don't want to focus on the past, so they deflect onto what they're there to talk about. They're avoiding talking about WoD. If people want to attach a negative connotation to that, that's up to them. If I was in Blizzard's position, I would do the same thing.

Or maybe it's like . . . an expansion announcement and they want to . . . you know . . . announce the expansion?

I'm searching for the place in the terms of service where Blizzard owes you a therapy session about your dislike of one of their games. Perhaps you can point me to it?
I'm not sure if you need to learn how to read, or what. But your bait attempt...apparently worked, since I replied. Thanks for amusing me though.

the reasons for such a consensus are many, but if I may put the shoe on the other foot for a moment -

if the devs (and blues) feel like they need some encouragement, just remember that the wow player-base will always come back if the do the right thing.