Dear Zarhym,

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 15 Next
07/30/2015 06:17 PMPosted by Madpleasure
07/30/2015 03:46 PMPosted by Argund

Pretty much my stance here as well.

I feel the same way.. I've been playing for a long time and I don't want to see WoW fall. And on a side note, I would love to see the community make a come back as well.

*hands everyone a cookie*

I'M ON A DIET

REEEEEEEEEEEEEE
07/30/2015 05:38 PMPosted by Yrel
07/30/2015 02:38 PMPosted by Zarhym
We want to share what lies ahead and get some new conversations going

can you give us the most littlest detail about the expac like a new version of a box

I can't! I'd be killed. And I wouldn't drop any loot.
07/30/2015 06:30 PMPosted by Zarhym

can you give us the most littlest detail about the expac like a new version of a box

Drat. At least an achievement maybe?
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Tell us what letter the title starts with! What harm could that do?

*Don't include the 'World of Warcraft' part and say "w," silly skull man. :)
I don't think your going to see any more major freak outs on the forums.

Thanks for the laugh 8)
My only frustrations with WOD are:
1: (First and Foremost) BLIZ giving up on it when it's not even a year old. What the hell? This has never happened before.
2: Players are fairly toxic and have been getting worse since MOP, it's making it harder to enjoy content in this game. I can't be in an LFR, dungeon, or any type over "raid PUG" without someone viciously attacking another person in the group, most of the time of something trivial just because this person needed an excuse to attack someone else verbally for who knows what reason.
3: Of course, the fiasco with flying but that was something I could let go of, after all, we all just AFK in our garrisons waiting on queues anyway. Or Shrine, or Stormwind, I mean pick an expansion anywhere after TBC and "afk in X" is what we do. But the sheer idea of removing a reward system you have been building on since TBC, and we've all put alot of hard work and effort into earning rewards for .. is just mindboggling. I can't believe enough of your designers actually thought giving us the middle finger on that was a great plan. And then of course, it was to "promote outdoor end-game content", which was non-existent until Tanaan Jungle. Why did this ever happen? There was absolutely no logic to it.

I also can't say there's much excitement from me personally about a new expansion when the current one is being thrown in the trash this fast. I mean, you gave up on WOD which was going perfectly fine? (Yes I said fine to spite the reasons above: #1 is the main issue, #2 you can't do anything about .. leaving #3 the only valid complaint that is "your fault" at BLIZ because #1 is the issue now, it wasn't before.) That really sets a concerning standard for a future Expac. Are you going to release one tier of content next time and call it quits 6 months in this time, and move on to a new expac before the end of the year?

I personally dislike having to re-level (the re-gearing part is something I do like however), it would cause me to burn out finally on this game if I had to keep re-leveling every 6 months or something insane if it came to that. I mean, I realize for a large amount of players, after they level there's no content in the game for them because that's all they're capable of but we can't keep pushing the reset button rapidly for them, can we? They're still here, so it's unlikely they'll leave. Hell, Tanaan Jungle gives them better than Normal HFC gear without having to raid, which they can't be bothered to learn how to play well enough to do.

If you guys really do take notes and "learn from feedback", then why do you not listen and keep repeating mistakes? Watcher said in the interview that they'd learned they "over-react" and "swing the pendulum too far" .. but did they learn from it? No, the following patch repeated those mistakes several times again. How are we expected to believe you learn from your mistakes? When you learn from a mistake, you don't repeat it. When you repeat it, it means you didn't learn from it. I even sent a tweet to Watcher asking why he was going to make an obvious mistake again, after saying they'd learned from their mistakes .. (?) Which is an amusing concept in and of itself because .. really? You guys have had this game around for an insane amount of time, how long does it take to realize when you mess up? Mistakes and bad judgements should be all but eliminated by now in the design process except when it comes to things like class balance or flat out introducing a new system where you have no prior experience with it.

I'm confused when you say you read and learn from us, but then you can see players asking .. hell, begging you guys not to make mistakes and do you listen? Do you learn? Nah, you just go ahead, tell us it will be fine and do it again .. and apologize later, saying "Sorry, we didn't realize .." because all the people begging you not to do something .. and I mean begging, not even asking, or flaming .. begging you not to do something .. wasn't worth thinking about? I guess not ..

This whole post from me sounds extremely harsh, I realize. I've been playing since 8-10 months prior to The Burning Crusade, and my first raid was Karazahn. I've been around ever since, never cancelled my sub. This game was introduced to me to cover a dark spot in my life and it did a good job taking my mind off my problems, and to spite my initial hesitations about even liking a game like this, I ended up thoroughly enjoying it.

What bothers me about the way things feel now is when it comes to feedback, there's only two roads when it comes to the community. You either "hate this game and need to stop paying and gtfo out" or you're a "BLIZ fanboy who's blind to what a bad company BLIZ is".

I don't hate this game. There have been rough patches, mistakes have been made but for the most part, this game has gotten better and better with every new expac you guys released and I've had fairly unshakeable faith in BLIZ. (Though I disagreed in the past with nerfing content just because a new tier was out, or other things along the way.) .. But my faith is rattled when I see you guys tell us, there's no new raid tier coming out for 6.2 .. then release one, and then announce "OK, expac over, we're done." And it hasn't even been out a year. That is deeply troubling.

Buying the next expac would have gone without saying, because so far this one has been another fairly strong job .. or was, until you announced you were giving up on it .. as I've said a few times in this post, that has left an impression on me and I think that's a dangerous standard for the future.

You guys are really going to need to make a STRONG impression on a long lasting, and content rich expansion at GamesCon, because the way I saw it, was WOD was what your future was hinging on with how unhappy people seemed to be after MOP .. and you gave up on it. Not to mention, the rush to announce something outside of BLIZCON? You've never done that before, why the rush? Are you that worried? There's certainly good reason to be. Fear isn't a good indicator for a healthy future for WoW.

I've been a happy player mostly (negative/nasty people being my biggest issue which you can't be expected to do anything about easily) and I want to continue to have faith and be a proud member of the WoW community but with how things look right now, that seems very doubtful.
07/30/2015 05:43 PMPosted by Zarhym
07/30/2015 05:11 PMPosted by Fichallenged
It makes it very hard for me to get hyped for next expansion when devs in interviews don't focally acknowledge how bad certain things are right now. "We learned some lessons" does not give me hope for a better future, because we've heard that line a thousand times over.

I do understand your point and don't want to distract from it, but also that statement is 100% true every time we use it. We always learn a lot from the design decisions we make, and how they play out in both a test and live environment, that we can carry forward. And that's a good thing.

There's a vast amount of game design knowledge and expertise on the team, but like virtually any other job you still learn as you go and do your best to positively apply that extra knowledge in your latest work.

The problem is, when you say it's "100% true every time", people simply do not believe you. The person you're quoting is actually telling you exactly WHY he doesn't believe you, because you're (Blizzard Devs really) never specific. You can mean it all you want, but people's faith has been diminished severely, and he's telling you exactly how to get it back. Just telling him to trust you doesn't work when...he doesn't trust you.
07/30/2015 06:13 PMPosted by Mylise

now we have the equivalent of a legendary quest line just to get flying "later."

Wow really? If that's all it takes, I guess I need to pay more attention to those legendaries lol.

Can you give us something uber vauge that won't get you in trouble? Like what is the most you can say about it? Just to wait until 8/6?
They are going to release a bunch of crap and say oh look at this shiny stuff then take it all away like they did in wod.
07/30/2015 06:52 PMPosted by Turbografx
They are going to release a bunch of crap and say oh look at this shiny stuff then take it all away like they did in wod.
Ouch.

PLEASE Z, drop the token which lets me play as a PANDA DK and I will send you cookies.
Hello Mr Zarhym, I'm a totally new player and I've only been subbed for two months. (This being the first time I have ever played WoW).
My friends played when I was in high school, but I always missed out, as I didn't have internet. Now that I'm a college student, things are different.

Anyways, I just wanted to thank you and the Devs. I know a lot of people don't like WoD, and since I've only been around since 6.2 I guess I can't weigh in. I can say I feel like my max level character has a lot less to do than my characters of other levels had to do, and I can say levelling through MoP and BC were my favorite. I didn't actually care for Wrath that much, tbh.

I started playing Paly recently and I love it, but maybe you could look or at least comment on Ret's current state? I don't know if that's your department. I just want to hear someone from the inside say something.

I'd also like to ask you which class you have most fun playing? Warrior, though my first class, I can say is actually one of my less favorites. Death Knight, Hunter and Paladin all score much higher, and Paladin is currently my favorite, with Hunter coming in second and DK coming in third.

Anyways, don't know if you'll respond but I'd love to hear back from you. Maybe just on a player to player level. I know you're busy answering other people and junk, and figured it'd be nice to see that you're a player too, not just a Mod.
07/30/2015 06:31 PMPosted by Ravensword

Drat. At least an achievement maybe?

Like the whale shark? Hmmm...

07/30/2015 06:52 PMPosted by Turbografx

/sigh

Let's not be too pessimistic here. At least give them a chance to announce all the shinies before we start worrying about the rest.
Does the new expansion have l33t new zones?
Anyways, I just wanted to thank you and the Devs. I know a lot of people don't like WoD, and since I've only been around since 6.2 I guess I can't weigh in. I can say I feel like my max level character has a lot less to do than my characters of other levels had to do, and I can say levelling through WoD and BC were my favorite. I didn't actually care for Wrath that much, tbh.

Just wanted to toss this out there - it doesn't matter how long you've been playing, of course you can weigh in. In fact you see things totally differently then those of us who have played past expansions and can give them different insight.

Out of curiosity, what did you like about BC leveling?
07/30/2015 05:47 PMPosted by Nanooka
07/30/2015 05:35 PMPosted by Crithto
We may not respond to many, but we certainly read them, note them down, and relay the feedback directly to developers. We've said it before; there are times where we just can't comment, or we're privy to information about upcoming changes that we've been asked not to address (we don't want to spoil all the surprises). It's part of the process and part of our job. But that doesn't mean we don't care or aren't reading your feedback. Sure, we could jump into a suggestion or feedback thread and merely post, "Thank you!", but that's often seen as antagonistic to some, and not nearly enough for others.

By all means, please keep posting suggestions and feedback. We do appreciate it, and we'll continue to relay it to the developers.

You may not be able to get say much, but a small little pop in saying you at least saw and are relaying the topics would be HUGE. When people see no responces even though we may believe you guys are listening it starts to look otherwise. The players are just as passionate of the game as you guys are and simple small acknowledgements would go a long way to have people at least know you saw the post. Especialy with the big hot topics. I really feel sorry for the pvp'ers. those poor buggers don't get any info at all.and every suggestion seems to be countered with another terrible idea.

I won't say that's a bad idea and I don't mean to come off as stubborn here. In principle I agree with you and we've done those types of acknowledging responses in the past. Sometimes, though, the acknowledgement creates a separate issue unto itself from the "we're being ignored" perception, in that people sometimes take the acknowledgement as an indication of action on our part. At first it's a pretty innocent, positive thing to show acknowledgement. But, depending on what the feedback is about, some people will ask why we haven't done anything about it 24 hours later, a week later, a month later, what have you.

It creates an almost cyclical pattern where people still feel ignored if we let the acknowledgement sit alone and linger without more input from us, except it can create even more tension 'cause we're viewed as blatantly disregarding something we previously acknowledged. Now suddenly we're viewed as willfully or stubbornly ignoring a topic we've clearly seen. The act of acknowledging is just another empty gesture at that point.

Again, I'm not saying it's never a good idea. It usually depends on the circumstances. But those are just things we have to think about and weigh before tagging something in blue. As I said earlier in the thread, the blue tends to bring a lot more attention to a topic. If we throw acknowledgements around without more meaningful input to provide as a follow-up, or without some type of clear design reaction, after a while it's going to come across as insincere, and synonymous with ignoring the issue anyway.

The field of Communications can be pretty complicated, even when you want to keep things as simple, transparent, and honest as possible. No matter what type of community is formed around something, especially online, people will dissect everything that's said, pick statements apart, reinterpret words, band together over common beliefs/opinions, drift toward whatever popular theories are going around, etc. And I don't mean any of this in a cynical or condescending way. It's just sort of how we're wired, and the internet adds a whole other element to social behavior in a community. If that makes sense... :p