What would I be doing if I were in a guild?..

General Discussion
Just a quick question. I just started back a couple of months ago and I play with a couple of buddies right now and we are just doing the daily stuff, well they are more than me. I am already getting bored with daily stuff and I was just wondering if we joined a guild is there enough endgame dungeons and content to run? We are all casual not looking to raid because none of us can devote that kind of time. I am just wondering what the casual guild people do when they are online?
Run old raids and dungeons to collect transmog, mounts, achievements, titles and to farm gold is one of the number one things.

Some people who are really into lore and story like to work on Loremaster.

If you like to fish, there's a huge achievement that leads to the Salty title that can take you years to do.

Stuff like that ...
You can chat with people, or run mythic dungeons more recently - which is a new area where guilds are helpful.

But mostly you'll look to your guild for raid nights. If you're not a raider, frankly, guilds are kind of optional.
im the guild master of a guild that has been on my server for over 5yrs.. a family/social guild, we have banktabs, vent, repairs and a cool tabard :D (i miss when guild recruitment was all about the cool tabard lol)

my guild talks quite a bit.. so thats always nice.. when stuff is on like timewalker there will be little groups forming.. whenever someones running lfr or a dungeon they ask if anyone else wants to queue.. we still schedule old content achieve runs .. if someone needs help there will almost always be someone handy to help them with.. we dont really pvp but if someones queuing for that theyll generally ask in guild if anyones handy

i dont permit begging for gold or anything, but if someone needs help with crafting etc we tend to ask in guild first.. and when new zones open or rep groups are going we will often have a number of ppl get together and pursue it together, much like your friends already do.. new players are always encouraged to ask questions.. and all guilds have some perks remaining even though the bulk of them were removed or assimilated into the game by default..

we have a raid team, two actually.. one is run exclusively by their raid leader which i wont intervene in the recruitment or decision making for, i simply raid in it.. the other is run by myself or an officer which will take anyone willing to raid with a reasonable ilvl and we'll do whatever the group is capable of.. an ultra casual affair where some of the more geared alts from the main raid will carry the more social inexperienced guildies through for fun once a week, numbers permitting..

ultimately all guilds are different.. so they arent always like mine.. but there is usually a good fit for everyone if you ask around.. and i do feel like social activity is something thats dying in game so i actively try to promote it in guild.. the game has always been about the people and i think that is the biggest advantage of being in a guild outside specific teams..
07/10/2015 04:22 AMPosted by Ryokû
im the guild master of a guild that has been on my server for over 5yrs.. a family/social guild, we have banktabs, vent, repairs and a cool tabard :D (i miss when guild recruitment was all about the cool tabard lol)

my guild talks quite a bit.. so thats always nice.. when stuff is on like timewalker there will be little groups forming.. whenever someones running lfr or a dungeon they ask if anyone else wants to queue.. we still schedule old content achieve runs .. if someone needs help there will almost always be someone handy to help them with.. we dont really pvp but if someones queuing for that theyll generally ask in guild if anyones handy

i dont permit begging for gold or anything, but if someone needs help with crafting etc we tend to ask in guild first.. and when new zones open or rep groups are going we will often have a number of ppl get together and pursue it together, much like your friends already do.. new players are always encouraged to ask questions.. and all guilds have some perks remaining even though the bulk of them were removed or assimilated into the game by default..

Sounds a lot like mine. :D We have a raid team and an alt raid team, we do mythic dungeons occasionally. When the timewalker events were up, we had several guildies group up for a few. We almost always ask in gchat first if we need something crafted, since we've got every profession covered several times over (we're a guild of altoholics...). We do occasionally do older achievements (we're getting me my final ToT achieve tonight :D). We pvp rarely. And we do farm reps together occasionally, or tackle new content (Tanaan's Rumble in the Jungle), etc. A guild can definitely be great socialization if you find the right one.
I have a lot of alts and belong to a lot of guilds with which I have nothing to do beyond chatting when other members are on and enjoying hasty hearth and occasionally mass rez. I'm not inspired to raid, but Blizzard makes it really hard to look for a guild that serves any other interests.
Just curious how long the average raid takes compared to a heroic dungeon? and also it doesn't sound like dungeons are much endgame anymore? or for better equipment? or is it just dailies to gear up?
A decent guild will have a great social aspect. There are guild perks for your toon. Help with just about anything on game is easy to find. Even if you never raid, a guild is still great to be in. We have progression raid nights and casual raids. Casual raids are open to everyone in the guild with vent and a minimum ilvl.
07/10/2015 06:02 AMPosted by Salvation
Just curious how long the average raid takes compared to a heroic dungeon? and also it doesn't sound like dungeons are much endgame anymore? or for better equipment? or is it just dailies to gear up?

It depends. Our raid team is fairly casual and we have a set time of Tuesday and Wednesday ftom 5pm to 8 pm server time. We get done what we can in that time frame.
Our guild dominates wPvP on Emerald Dream. We find Alliance roaches wherever they hide and kill them - till they log off.

Yesterday, we did a Stormshield Liberation, running around as a pack and killing all the Alliance standing around in queue for Ashran, then took their portal to Lions Watch in Tanaan and wiped them for over an hour there too.

After that we slowly formed an Ashran premade and rampaged all over Ashran, dominating events and boss kills for three and a half hours so members could cap Conquest on mains and gear their alts.

Later last night we killed all the Alliance faction leads in Azeroth concluding our weekly For The Horde bear mount run.

Between events, members played with each other in arena, and our two RBG teams did runs all day long.

We usually have between 60 and 120 players online all day long.

If you like PvP and were in our guild, thats what you'd be doing.

Hope that helps :-)
07/10/2015 04:22 AMPosted by Ryokû

we have a raid team, two actually.. one is run exclusively by their raid leader which i wont intervene in the recruitment or decision making for, i simply raid in it.. the other is run by myself or an officer which will take anyone willing to raid with a reasonable ilvl and we'll do whatever the group is capable of.. an ultra casual affair where some of the more geared alts from the main raid will carry the more social inexperienced guildies through for fun once a week, numbers permitting..

ultimately all guilds are different.. so they arent always like mine.. but there is usually a good fit for everyone if you ask around.. and i do feel like social activity is something thats dying in game so i actively try to promote it in guild.. the game has always been about the people and i think that is the biggest advantage of being in a guild outside specific teams..

You sound like my kind of guild, lol.
Raiding isn't about a lot of time commitment. It's just about consistency. If you play the same three nights every week, then you can be in a raid group.

My guild just did a big push the first week. We raided 11 nights in a row. But only about 12 of us were there all 11 nights. The rest came and went as their schedules permitted.

Now it's 8:30-11:30 PM Tues/Wed/Thurs. That's only 9 hours and I pretty much only play during those nine hours. I know supposedly casual people who do nothing but pet battle that play more than I do.

Sometimes I hop on early in the morning to do Shipyard at least until I get done with the legendary but that is basically 15 minutes and done.
07/10/2015 06:25 AMPosted by Chemie
members played with each other

giggity
07/10/2015 06:32 AMPosted by Madrillene
giggity

Yep... and if you were in a guild on WrA, you'd spend 90% of your time with sexual banter and innuendo like this.

We don't need none of that McLovin on ED - Kill Kill Kill!
07/10/2015 06:44 AMPosted by Chemie
07/10/2015 06:32 AMPosted by Madrillene
giggity

Yep... and if you were in a guild on WrA, you'd spend 90% of your time with sexual banter and innuendo like this.

wrong server*

We don't need none of that McLovin on ED - Kill Kill Kill!

I got toons on ED. I know what you guys do over there.

*it's a joke, people
That would depend on what kind of guild you were in, really.

If you were in one of those "mega" guilds who loves to spam invites to every un-guilded person on line via that stupid addon I can't remember the name of you would probably be doing exactly what you're doing now...a lot of soloing or playing with the friends you currently hang with.

If you were in a social guild where the GL actually cared about the health of the community within, you would be chatting with some new friends and probably grouping with them to quest or level alts or run instances/LFR/etc., doing Mythic Dungeons or CMs, running old content for transmog, playing games (like naked races or the like...lots of guilds make up games for raffles or prizes). And more...

If you were in a raiding guild you'd be raiding.

If you were in a PvP guild you'd be PvPing.

If you were in an RP guild you'd be RPing.

So it depends on what kind of guild you join and how much time you spend trying to find a good fit for you and your playstyle.