Legion: Leaders or Heroes?

Story Forum
Apologies for a long post, but I hope you’ll make it through.

I have concerns with some of the concepts in the upcoming expansion, and their implication on the story. Starting with Warlords, and seeming to continue into Legion, the player is being forced further into the limelight as the great heroic leader of the Alliance/Horde, and that just doesn’t make sense in an MMO setting.

This is not a single player game, it isn’t Skryim with its pre-determined, manifest destiny making us the center of the story. We are not the leaders of the Alliance, or the Horde, nor should we be, because we are only participants in the story. We are the classic adventurer, always there, shaping the events around us, forced by circumstance to play a pivotal role, but not the center of the universe. The world of Warcraft is filled with far greater number of heroes and legends than just us.

I bring this up because as greater emphasis is being placed on the player, the characters in the story are the ones who suffer. Yes we are important, yes we have seen and done a lot, but the story has always been far greater than us. We did not defeat Ragnaros in the Firelands; Malfurion, Cenarius and Hamuul did, with the help of the brave group of nameless adventurers who answered their call. For that matter, the player doesn’t defeat any of those bosses alone, they always work together in large groups to do so.

How do you rationalize your character being the center of the universe when they have to join a group of 19 other similarly deified players?

Now obviously, some of the player aggrandizement is warranted. We are powerful adventurers, we find amazing weapons, we’ve been honored by deities and most recently built legendary rings. No game can rationalize thousands of players per server, killing the same bosses over and over every week, but there are certain things that work within the story to overlook for the sake of gameplay, and others that don’t fit no matter how hard you push. In the end though, it’s about making a cohesive story. Simultaneously commanding hundreds of troops alongside naval fleets, right after you get done hunting for bear asses or completing your fourth “pick up poop” quest, just doesn’t jive very well.

Now what does this have to do with Legion?

Class Halls:
I’m supposed to be the Warrior champion, wielder of Gorehowl and Hero of the Alliance… and yet so is every other Warrior on my server carrying it around. How does this play out in an MMO setting?

Each player is an individual part of a greater whole. Placing them into these leadership positions creates storytelling problems:

• It’s difficult to come back from. It’s hard to rationalize being an expedition leader, garrison army commander, and fleet commander to collecting bear asses for a nameless Vrykrul.

• It’s difficult to move forward from. What’s next? Chieftain of Orgrimmar? Warchief of the Horde? King of Stormwind in Garrisons 2.0?

• It deemphasizes the role of existing story characters. Faction leaders were essentially non-existent in Warlords. Alliance characters went from helping Admiral Taylor to being on the same level (garrison commanders). Beta Horde characters were bossing around Saurfang.

Just like the Archmage of Skyrim no longer has a need to ever visit the College of Winterhold anymore, putting the player into the position of complete authority only devalues the institution. Doing grunt work feels beneath you, while sitting back commanding followers becomes unengaging.
We aren’t Admirals or Generals, we are adventurers. Wandering heroes who answer their nations call to battle, but aren’t part of the campaign itself, which gives us the freedom to come and go, to adventure on our own.

Suggestion:
Take a step back. Heroic Adventurers can be honored without being institutionalized. Put faction class champions in charge of the Halls. Characters like Grom, Saurfang, Thrall, Alleria, Turalyon, Tirion, Jaina, and so on. We are their lieutenants. For all intents and purposes nothing changes, we are still the big bad player, but it leaves more leeway for the story, especially for alts and players who like to RP and don’t imagine themselves the leader of the free world once they hit level 110.
Artifact Weapons:
First off, love em. Second off, some of them don’t make sense.

Why are the greatest heroes of the World of Warcraft giving up their weapons? Has our hero complex really become so grandiose that we are supposed to be eclipsing the actual story of the game?

The weapons are important because of the people using them. It’s part of them, their story and lore. Ashbringer isn’t important because it’s Ashbringer, it’s important because of the people who used it and what they did with it. Doomhammer is important because it was handed down from Orgrim to Thrall, it’s part of his persona now, more than that it signifies position of leadership within the Horde. It’s even got his markings on it! Or are we going to scratch out the Frostwolf emblems and etch in our own icon from <Rainbow Pink Unicorns>?

By removing these weapons from these heroes we are essentially saying their story is done. At the very least the story of the weapon is done, once it starts collecting dust in Void Storage, or do we hand it back in 8.0 once we hit 111 and a green is better than Gorehowl?

The bigger problem is that, cool as they may be, the vast majority of the artifact weapons are “new-lore”, and just don’t have the history that the well-known ones do.

Now don’t get me wrong, I think the weapons are awesome, but it makes me wonder, where does their story go from there? Is Ashbringer doomed to sit in void storage for the rest of the World of Warcraft? Are they on loan? Is Thrall going to take back Doomhammer once we ding 111 and get that green?

Suggestion:
Don’t use story weapons. Like Death Knights, Prot/Fury Warriors, non-Ret Paladins, Druids and most Casters; we should be making our own weapons, forge our own legends.
Now obviously, things like shards of Frostmourne and Kael’thas sword work; they don’t have an owner, but taking Doomhammer, Ashbringer or Gorehowl away from Thrall, Tirion or Grom is pretty silly. We can still keep similar skins, even base the weapons off those well-known artifacts, but make them ours. Not hand-me-downs given over because the actual story characters are continually being pushed into the background to make our player character seem more grandiose.

(Sort of) TLDR:
The overall point here is that that every expansion more pieces of the story are being pushed out, while fewer are being fleshed out to replace them. Instead the player is taking the lime light… but we don’t need it. We are already important, because of the experiences gained. We don’t need to be bigger than the King of Stormwind, or High Overlord Saurfang, and we shouldn’t be. Each player is an adventurer, that cannot succeed on their own, that’s why we band together into guilds and raid teams to accomplish our goals. We are only a part of the World of Warcraft, not bigger than it.
08/07/2015 12:23 AMPosted by Archimtiros
Suggestion:
Don’t use story weapons. Like Death Knights, Prot/Fury Warriors, non-Ret Paladins, Druids and most Casters; we should be making our own weapons, forge our own legends.
Now obviously, things like shards of Frostmourne and Kael’thas sword work; they don’t have an owner, but taking Doomhammer, Ashbringer or Gorehowl away from Thrall, Tirion or Grom is pretty silly. We can still keep similar skins, even base the weapons off those well-known artifacts, but make them ours. Not hand-me-downs given over because the actual story characters are continually being pushed into the background to make our player character seem more grandiose.

I agree I dont really think we should get any iconic legendary weapon.

Also I dont like the idea we are leading the fight. Didnt work for Draenor and I dont think it will work well in Legion.
Ye
Perfectly worded. I've been increasingly irked by the "chosen one" type titles being ascribed to my characters for some time now.

Playing on an RP server, I can still make my profile and my role playing reflect what I've decided my character has done/would do as the events of each expac unfold, but there comes a point where NPCs referring to my less than savory or nowhere-near-so-accomplished characters as "Champion" and "Hero" becomes disengaging. It was much easier to kindof paint one's own story when the major lore characters were emphasized and relevant.
What I'd prefer is that they make us the Field Marshal or something. I can't be the leader when I clearly go to my class trainer to change specs!

I would prefer a leading character to lead the hall, but trust me to lead the combatants to the field and where their talents are best suited.
They are trying to raise up since perhaps Warlords and perhaps even pandaria to more than just heroes, they are trying to prevent another Cata, but I hope they don't run straight to the other end a few expansions later.
I'm gonna go ahead and take an opposing point of view.

ESO and SW:ToR are just two other MMO's that tell a fine and enjoyable story that puts your character into the position of the chosen one. Those games trust their players to be able to provide a reasonable suspension of disbelief to make it work and by trusting their players with this they can put their players in a position to accomplish something personal and to be something unique.

In Star Wars: The Old Republic my character was a Republic Commando. His unit defected to the Sith Empire shortly after he joined and they tried to leave him for dead. After he had to both track down the members of his old unit while putting together a new special ops team of his own. Throughout the course of many questing zones my character proved himself to be loyal, able and deserving of the rank of commander by working with a distinct group of soldiers.

I played the game, I enjoyed the game, I didn't spend a moment thinking about how the Vanguard that was tanking for my group was also the sole survivor of the same premier special ops squad. I didn't wonder if he chose to save his girlfriend or chose to let her die in favor of a regiment of armor. I employed a willing suspension of disbelief and, even though the Vanguard tanking for me fit into the story world in the exact same spot my character did, I was able to identify him as a separate entity and ejoy the game.
Have you played TOR? It's like that, minus the class story at the beginning. Basically, none of the adventurers you work with in raids and such are real adventurers, or at least not on your level; you're probably commanding them, storywise.
Nope sorry i don't agree, i like the new hero system and i like the artifacts
08/07/2015 07:17 AMPosted by Dorcy
In Star Wars: The Old Republic my character was a Republic Commando. His unit defected to the Sith Empire shortly after he joined and they tried to leave him for dead. After he had to both track down the members of his old unit while putting together a new special ops team of his own. Throughout the course of many questing zones my character proved himself to be loyal, able and deserving of the rank of commander by working with a distinct group of soldiers.

I played the game, I enjoyed the game, I didn't spend a moment thinking about how the Vanguard that was tanking for my group was also the sole survivor of the same premier special ops squad. I didn't wonder if he chose to save his girlfriend or chose to let her die in favor of a regiment of armor. I employed a willing suspension of disbelief and, even though the Vanguard tanking for me fit into the story world in the exact same spot my character did, I was able to identify him as a separate entity and ejoy the game.

So your character rose to the rank of commander of a group of soldiers out of a literal Empires worth of millions (if not billions). Kind of a large difference from being called the one and only commander of the entire Draenor expedition.

I understand suspension of belief, but it's terrible story telling. ESO has one of the worst intro stories I've ever seen for a multiplayer game, it just doesn't account for the fact that there's more than one of you, much less a thousand running around at the same time. Like it or not, World of Warcraft is all about working together in large groups, from Raids to BG's; it just doesn't account for the fact that there's 20 commanders running around in your little raid alone.

Suspension of belief applies to things like everyone's Garrison being in the same place on the map, since obviously the map isn't big enough for everyone. It doesn't apply to story telling, because good story telling is flexible enough to account for it.
08/07/2015 04:50 PMPosted by Archimtiros
08/07/2015 07:17 AMPosted by Dorcy

So your character rose to the rank of commander of a group of soldiers out of a literal Empires worth of millions (if not billions). Kind of a large difference from being called the one and only commander of the entire Draenor expedition.

No, my character joined Havoc Squad, a specific elite operations squad that is the best in the Republic. In Havoc Squad my character served briefly under the legendary Commander Harron Tavus, afterwards Harron Tavus, Wraith, Needles, Fuse and Gearbox defect to the Sith. The entire story centers around my character, his ascension through the ranks and the lengths he goes to in rebuilding Havoc Squad and tracking down the defectors.

It is kind of the exact same thing you are complaining about in paragraphs 2, 3, 4, and 5. Now, if your issue isn't that the player is the center of the world's story, but instead that the player is too significant a force in the world, we have an entirely different discussion.

In which case, hey, you wanna hear about my Sith side character. She's a cyborg bounty hunter who joins the Mandalorean bounty tournament after her trainer is killed by a rival hunter. She wins the tournament and is crowned the next Mandalorean, making her in essence the faction leader for the baddest group of hunters, and soldiers in the Galaxy. It rarely comes up, but she could give the word and have you killed, no questions asked.

Suspension of belief applies to things like everyone's Garrison being in the same place on the map, since obviously the map isn't big enough for everyone. It doesn't apply to story telling, because good story telling is flexible enough to account for it.

"Suspension of disbelief doesn't apply to story telling" are you serious? Tell me, did you really think that platform 9 3/4 quarters was there, did you spend any time wondering how managed to bring a train in and out of the station without royally screwing up the timetable for the rest of the station? Was the platform in a pocket dimension, is there an illusion large enough to hide an entire train platform and people just didn't notice they were walking past it, or does the platform entrance just teleport people to an entirely different location? How did they slipped an entire train both into the station and out of the station without being spotted by the horde of muggles? I sincerely doubt you thought of any of these things because suspension of disbelief applies to story telling. You suspended your disbelief, said 'hey it's magic' and you focused on what the story was trying to tell you, not the holes in the stories internal logic.
Let's just take a look at some of the highlights from the announcement, and you can see how nonsensical it is:

• You lead the Class Order, as you are wielding an Artifact weapon.

• Yeah, me and every other Warrior on the server. What happens when two of us walk into the hall at the same time? Do we fight over who gets to be leader?

• The Alliance and Horde are at each others throats, so classes will have to band together to fight the Burning Legion.

• This alone makes little sense. The Alliance and Horde are still at War:

Warriors on both sides fighting, bloodied and battered. A horn sounds signalling the retreat, and a weary Human Warrior turns his opponent, the frothing Orc Berserker, spits blood and says... "Hey, wanna go back to the hall and get a beer?"

Either we are at war... or we aren't. Why does the story continually try to play middle man?

• Your Hall has Champions, an evolution of the followers system from Draenor.
    Some of your champions will be established characters, such as Lady Liadrin.

• Talk about story characters getting pushed out to make the player seem more grandiose. Horde players in Beta didn't like the fact that we were suddenly bossing around Saurfang. Why do we now? Minor characters, sure, but actual well known class champions, whose history is at least as extensive as our own?

For that matter, why are all the important story characters suddenly handing over their items to us? When did we go from being characters in a story, to the entire story revolving around us? It's like playing Skyrim with its manifest destiny. You are destined to defeat Alduin! You are the ultimate Dragonborn, because you are the Dragonborn!

The original allure of WoW was going into the game world, seeing the characters and witnessing their stories first hand. Remember the first time you went into Orgrimmar and saw Thrall in game? How about Saurfang cleaving the world in Silithus during the 8 hour war?

We are characters in the World of Warcraft. Even important ones, yes, but far from the only ones.
    There's too much single player RPG in my MMORPG.
    08/07/2015 05:10 PMPosted by Archimtiros
    Let's just take a look at some of the highlights from the announcement, and you can see how nonsensical it is:

• Yeah, me and every other Warrior on the server. What happens when two of us walk into the hall at the same time? Do we fight over who gets to be leader?

You suspend your disbelief.

• The Alliance and Horde are at each others throats, so classes will have to band together to fight the Burning Legion.

• This alone makes little sense. The Alliance and Horde are still at War:

Warriors on both sides fighting, bloodied and battered. A horn sounds signalling the retreat, and a weary Human Warrior turns his opponent, the frothing Orc Berserker, spits blood and says... "Hey, wanna go back to the hall and get a beer?"

Either we are at war... or we aren't. Why does the story continually try to play middle man?

Your objection to that line is nonsensical and relies on a naively binary view of reality. We are not at war, but can still be at eachother's throats.

• Your Hall has Champions, an evolution of the followers system from Draenor.
    Some of your champions will be established characters, such as Lady Liadrin.

• Talk about story characters getting pushed out to make the player seem more grandiose. Horde players in Beta didn't like the fact that we were suddenly bossing around Saurfang. Why do we now? Minor characters, sure, but actual well known class champions, whose history is at least as extensive as our own?

For that matter, why are all the important story characters suddenly handing over their items to us? When did we go from being characters in a story, to the entire story revolving around us? It's like playing Skyrim with its manifest destiny. You are destined to defeat Alduin! You are the ultimate Dragonborn, because you are the Dragonborn!

The original allure of WoW was going into the game world, seeing the characters and witnessing their stories first hand. Remember the first time you went into Orgrimmar and saw Thrall in game? How about Saurfang cleaving the world in Silithus during the 8 hour war?

We are characters in the World of Warcraft. Even important ones, yes, but far from the only ones.

So you think it's outrageous that we may be leading Lady Liadrin or Saurfang because, we're not the only characters in WoW? I'm sorry, I don't mean to make you seem stupid but I really do not think you thought this through.

If we were the only characters in WoW, then there wouldn't be a Lady Liadrin or Saurfang for us to lead.

I'm going to suggest you take a step back and really try to think about what has got you so wound up about this expansion. Because I've read through four posts of yours so far and your point of view is even less clear with each one.
    In Star Wars: my character...

Then I'd say that too was bad story telling. Maybe you liked it. That's fine, not everyone has to agree, but it's still bad writing for a multiplayer game. I never played it, so I'm not going to get into a debate over how it played out when you grouped with 20 others people of the same rank, but it doesn't work out so well in WoW.

"Suspension of disbelief doesn't apply to story telling" are you serious? Tell me, did you really think that platform 9 3/4 quarters was there, did you spend any time wondering how managed to bring a train in and out of the station without royally screwing up the timetable for the rest of the station? Was the platform in a pocket dimension, is there an illusion large enough to hide an entire train platform and people just didn't notice they were walking past it, or does the platform entrance just teleport people to an entirely different location? How did they slipped an entire train both into the station and out of the station without being spotted by the horde of muggles? I sincerely doubt you thought of any of these things because suspension of disbelief applies to story telling. You suspended your disbelief, said 'hey it's magic' and you focused on what the story was trying to tell you, not the holes in the stories internal logic.

You mean given all the other things that they do "with magic" in the story? How about the trolly that drives at subsonic speeds and changes size to fit between impossibly small gaps? Or the flying car that turns invisible? They give you a comprehendable explanation by showing you what is possible with magic. It's supposed to be fantastical and otherworldly, thus it becomes reasonable.

Citing "the train works because magic" makes a lot more sense than saying every student becomes the headmaster of hogwarts when they graduate, which is essentially what WoW has been doing.
    08/07/2015 05:10 PMPosted by Archimtiros

• Yeah, me and every other Warrior on the server. What happens when two of us walk into the hall at the same time?

What did you do when you ran into someone else wielding Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker?
    08/07/2015 05:16 PMPosted by Dorcy

Good answer, and how exactly does that play out in game?

Your objection to that line is nonsensical and relies on a naively binary view of reality. We are not at war, but can still be at eachother's throats.

We are at war, the very first line of the expac details were "the alliance and horde are still at war!" But oh hey, you're going to hang out with other people of your class. ...Why?

So you think it's outrageous that we may be leading Lady Liadrin or Saurfang because, we're not the only characters in WoW? I'm sorry, I don't mean to make you seem stupid but I really do not think you thought this through.

If we were the only characters in WoW, then there wouldn't be a Lady Liadrin or Saurfang for us to lead.

I'm going to suggest you take a step back and really try to think about what has got you so wound up about this expansion. Because I've read through four posts of yours so far and your point of view is even less clear with each one.

It's outrageous because it doesn't make sense that we continually leapfrog everyone else in the story. How long until Jaina is a follower running around gathering garrison resources for us? Do I become the King of Stormwind when Garrisons 2.0 roll around? If so I'm raising taxes.

I'm going to suggest you reread them then, because it seems clear enough for everyone else in the thread. You're perfectly welcome to disagree with me, but go back to your original counter arguments instead of trying to play down my concerns instead of actually addressing them.

TLDR: I don't like how WoW is being continually written as a story of manifest destiny, where the player is being made more important than every other story character in the game. I don't like that calling your character the "leader" doesn't jive with the fact that there are 19 others with the same title in your raid group, much less the thousand others on the server. "Just ignore it" (aka: Suspension of disbelief) is a poor answer.

Good answer, and how exactly does that play out in game?

If you know the guy, you wave and say hello, if you don't know the guy, you run past him to the mailbox. If you're looking for a group you press the o button to find a group and maybe he is, or is not in it. If you're putting together a raid, you portal to Dalaran so you can talk in trade. If you're looking for someone to roleplay with, you whisper him to establish the parameters for your roleplay, or you just dive right in and start talking.

We are at war, the very first line of the expac details were "the alliance and horde are still at war!" But oh hey, you're going to hang out with other people of your class. ...Why?

I've seen nothing in the game details that even mentions a war and your confusion on this point has nothing to do with your initial complaint that the story is becoming too much about players.

We work together because, while our factions are at each other's throat and unable to cooperate, we see more clearly the threat presented by the Burning Legion. So we assemble a group of like minded individuals to aid us. The like minded people we assemble are all based on our class because WoW has been getting complaints that class lore has been lacking.

It's outrageous because it doesn't make sense that we continually leapfrog everyone else in the story. How long until Jaina is a follower running around gathering garrison resources for us? Do I become the King of Stormwind when Garrisons 2.0 roll around? If so I'm raising taxes.

I'm going to suggest you reread them then, because it seems clear enough for everyone else in the thread. You're perfectly welcome to disagree with me, but go back to your original counter arguments instead of trying to play down my concerns instead of actually addressing them.

TLDR: I don't like how WoW is being continually written as a story of manifest destiny, where the player is being made more important than every other story character in the game. I don't like that calling your character the "leader" doesn't jive with the fact that there are 19 others with the same title in your raid group, much less the thousand others on the server. "Just ignore it" (aka: Suspension of disbelief) is a poor answer.

So your complaint isn't that the story is centered around us, your complaint is that we're progressing too quickly and that others around you are also being told they're awesome in single player. Cool. That's different than the first five paragraphs in your initial post. I feel I understand better.

How do you want me to respond? Should I list your accomplishments and compare them to Lady Liadrin's and Varian's? No, I'm going to suggest something revolutionary. We're better than Lady Liadrin, which is why we have lapped her and why she voluntarily follows us. We probably aren't better than Wolf God Varian... yet. Don't worry though, I don't think Wolf God Varian is going to willingly hand over the keys of the Kingdom of Stormwind.

Now, for part two of the complaint, when you look over at that stranger in your raid whose character is also 110, and because he's the same class and same spec, he has the same weapon as you. Well, sorta, you went with the flaming version, and he chose the black iron version, you've got a red hilt, he's got a blue hilt. But still, that niggling part at the back of your mind that starts to whisper to you, "He's the leader of Warriors Local 451 too. He's got the same weapon as you, sort of. His weapon was given to him by the dying hand of the blind swordmaster Kainto Hiroshi too. How can this be true for both of you, it's crazy." Instead of succumbing to that urge to poke your finger through the very large hole that inevitably occurs in story driven MMO's, just don't. Put "on hold" your "tendency to not believe."

Or don't, at this point you're working so hard to not be happy with this expansion that I'm starting to feel bad trying to stop you.
    And just to clarify, since the argument of "suspension of disbelief" continually comes up, and is used in an incorrect manner:

Suspension of disbelief is not a catch all term, and relies on the context of the story to work. It is not intended to allow the reader to ignore key parts of the story, only those which are not relevant for the story to work.

• Suspension of disbelief applies to not having to show the character eating, drinking, sleeping or using the bathroom on a regular basis. The character is assumed to do it, so it doesn't need to be shown.

• Suspension of disbelief applies to Mages using Fireballs and Ice Novas. You don't need to know how they do it. The story tells you they can, therefor they can. Your understanding of why, or how, doesn't really make a difference (though it is usually an interesting subject) or impact the telling of the narrative.

• This also applies to your Harry Potter train example. The story explains to us that otherwise improbable things are possible with magic, the train is magic, therefore it can do improbable things. It doesn't need to be explained further, thus you can suspend your disbelief. In fact there is a pointed line early in the series about how non-magical people subconciously ignore magical things (paraphrased). Any more explanation is not necessary for the story to continue.

• Suspension of disbelief applies to NPCs saying the same thing over and over again. They say what they need to say within the context of the story. It is obviously unfeasible for them to have infinite lines of dialogue, therefor you can suspend your disbelief that they don't have more lines.

Suspension of disbelief does not apply to things that do not work within the context of the story. Naming a character the one and only commander, or leader of a faction, then continually introducing them to other players who hold the exact same status. How does the story make sense of the fact that I am the class leader when 10 others walk in the doors? That is actually called Ludonarrative dissonance (when actions do not make sense within the context of the story).