Upcoming PvP Mercenary Mode

Battlegrounds
Prev 1 2 3 33 Next
Buy your trinkets now Humans. You'll need them if you merc.
07/15/2015 03:15 PMPosted by Babayagâ
Basically mixed faction BGs... interesting.

No, it's not. It's an inadequate half measure.

Real mixed faction BGs would have only people who queued willing to be mercenaries, and both sides being a random mix from the single queue.

This isn't a solution, it's a lazy bandaid fix that only fixes Alliance Queue times.

I doubt it will do that. Alliance queue times are long because alliance tends to win. Who wants fast queues into the losing side?
People forget this means we will have alliance queuing in our games meaning more of the higher rated players who cause this faction imbalance will also help the horde to win BG's it fixes both issues the horde not having high rated players queuing and the alliance having long queues my bleeding faction pride hates this but I see no downside it fixes both issues and I would be stupid to debate it only because of a personal preference
The only way Im okay with this is if I still get my faster que as Horde.

There is no way that an Alliance Merc should be able to get into a Horde que before a Horde queing just for Horde ques.

Horde queing just as Horde should get to butt in line ahead of any Alliance Merc...putting them ahead of every single Alliance Merc in que.
07/15/2015 05:00 PMPosted by Osmeric
No, it's not. It's an inadequate half measure.Real mixed faction BGs would have only people who queued willing to be mercenaries, and both sides being a random mix from the single queue.
You are correct it's basically mixed faction PvP light.

07/15/2015 05:00 PMPosted by Osmeric
I doubt it will do that. Alliance queue times are long because alliance tends to win. Who wants fast queues into the losing side?
Exactly. I suspect it will be like 50 guys going to ladies night (i.e. horde switching to alliance) and almost no ladies attending (i.e. fewer alliance going horde).
Its the best idea they have had in years. I love it.
07/15/2015 05:12 PMPosted by Fentoozler
The only way Im okay with this is if I still get my faster que as Horde.

There is no way that an Alliance Merc should be able to get into a Horde que before a Horde queing just for Horde ques.

[/quote]

Good point. Hopefully they'll arrange it so this doesn't happen.
Few points of clarification based on some discussion we've been seeing around the interwebs:

On racials: The current intention is that the system swaps your race entirely, including your racial ability. We recognize that that puts Humans in a weird spot, so we're looking into some options there that aren't "spend your Honor/Conquest on a Medallion."

Only the faction that is currently experiencing a long queue will have the option to act as a Mercenary, and only when those queues reach a certain point (which is still being determined). In the current environment, we expect that to generally be Alliance. Since queues have to reach that threshold before Mercenary Mode becomes available, we don't anticipate an increase in Horde queue times.

Using the Mercenary Mode system is completely opt-in. It's important to us that if you don't choose to participate in Mercenary Mode, it doesn't affect you. Should you be grouped with players who are using the system, they will not be identified to you as mercenaries -- they'll look like just another player from your faction.

Similarly, it's important to note that these are not creating "mixed-faction" scenarios. There will be no Humans fighting alongside Orcs. Again, our intent is that you are completely unaware that the person next to you is secretly a Night Elf.

We don't consider Mercenary Mode to be a replacement for racial balance. We just also don't think that perfectly balanced racials would instantly resolve queue time issues. We also don't think that players should feel forced to faction transfer (potentially away from friends and guildmates) in order to experience reasonable queue times.

The picture in the blog is of one of the NPCs that Alliance players can speak to to activate Mercenary Mode for Battlegrounds. Players who are using Mercenary Mode won't just be wearing a Hallow's End mask, lol.

Ultimately, this system's sole purpose is to help resolve the issue where heavy tilts in faction populations can result in excessively long queue times for unrated PvP content.
Can I queue with my friends that are on horde this way or no?
thanks for clearing some of that up.
07/15/2015 06:06 PMPosted by Ryoko
Can I queue with my friends that are on horde this way or no?

No. Again, it's only intended to alleviate queue times.
Thanks Lore!
07/15/2015 06:03 PMPosted by Lore
We also don't think that players should feel forced to faction transfer (potentially away from friends and guildmates) in order to experience reasonable queue times.

[/quote]

But it was a-okay when Horde felt obligated to faction transferred in droves for OP racials? Nothing was done...for a VERY long time. Nothing was said...for a very long time. This doesn't solve the faction imbalance issue...which is the real issue. This just makes Alliance players have more convenient queues while players who choose to play Horde suffer with terrible game experience.

I can't comprehend how you don't see this as an insult to Horde players.
Thanks for the clarifications Lore but although this idea might mitigate the quantity issues (i.e. imbalanced queue times) it probably won't address the quality issue (i.e. most of the good/average PvPer's went alliance for the racials). In other words we're concerned that most of the alliance that use this feature will be inexperienced and/or poorly geared and/or bots.
Why fix a problem with pvp when you can make a bigger one. Allowing the same faction to fight itself seems much better then this. This is going to open the door for all sorts of griefing. If anybody has done more then 5 minutes of play with randoms you have seen the pricks that will go out of their way to piss in the pool and try to ruin things for others. Unless you add some sort of account wide pvp lockout if you go afk or something like that, which obviously is never going to happen.
Will Ashran/BGs that have reputations attached to them still allow you gain rep with your normal factions while using Mercenary Mode? (I.E. Can I still gain Wrynn's Vanguard reputation while disguised as a Horde player?)
07/15/2015 06:11 PMPosted by Tyrven
Allowing the same faction to fight itself seems much better then this.
That would be much worse actually. Same faction BGs would end up being alliance vs. alliance and alliance vs. horde because there are a lot more alliance PvP'ing now. Horde vs. horde would be rare and thus this idea would screw over horde.

07/15/2015 06:14 PMPosted by Knate
Will Ashran/BGs that have reputations attached to them still allow you gain rep with your normal factions while using Mercenary Mode? (I.E. Can I still gain Wrynn's Vanguard reputation while disguised as a Horde player?)
These types of questions also makes me think that the idea will be really buggy as well.
Mercenary Mode won't just be wearing a Hallow's End mask, lol.

For April 1st, you should totally do the Mercenaries Wear Hallow's End Mask.
Few points of clarification based on some discussion we've been seeing around the interwebs:

On racials: The current intention is that the system swaps your race entirely, including your racial ability. We recognize that that puts Humans in a weird spot, so we're looking into some options there that aren't "spend your Honor/Conquest on a Medallion."

Only the faction that is currently experiencing a long queue will have the option to act as a Mercenary, and only when those queues reach a certain point (which is still being determined). In the current environment, we expect that to generally be Alliance. Since queues have to reach that threshold before Mercenary Mode becomes available, we don't anticipate an increase in Horde queue times.

Using the Mercenary Mode system is completely opt-in. It's important to us that if you don't choose to participate in Mercenary Mode, it doesn't affect you. Should you be grouped with players who are using the system, they will not be identified to you as mercenaries -- they'll look like just another player from your faction.

Similarly, it's important to note that these are not creating "mixed-faction" scenarios. There will be no Humans fighting alongside Orcs. Again, our intent is that you are completely unaware that the person next to you is secretly a Night Elf.

We don't consider Mercenary Mode to be a replacement for racial balance. We just also don't think that perfectly balanced racials would instantly resolve queue time issues. We also don't think that players should feel forced to faction transfer (potentially away from friends and guildmates) in order to experience reasonable queue times.

The picture in the blog is of one of the NPCs that Alliance players can speak to to activate Mercenary Mode for Battlegrounds. Players who are using Mercenary Mode won't just be wearing a Hallow's End mask, lol.

Ultimately, this system's sole purpose is to help resolve the issue where heavy tilts in faction populations can result in excessively long queue times for unrated PvP content.

This may be decent at best for Ashran, but the majority of the pvp base despises Ashran, it's implemented mandatory cap, and rng gear quest now. (The bugged event wins early this week didn't help either.) So i'm a little happy now that I can get through the misery a little quicker than before, maybe?

But as a person who plays a shadow priest on both factions, trust me, no one from the alliance will want to experience and suffer through horde random bg melancholy with Mercenary mode. Shorter queues maybe? but winning only 1/5 out of the queues is depressing.

Also, human racial is amazing, so much so, players won't want to give that up for something like goblin boots or belf silence.