8/18 - Realm Drops and Recoveries

Technical Support
Prev 1 51 52 53 120 Next
I dont want game time

Just reset all my loot so I can run everything again =)
This is gonna sound so stupid what is a DDOS attack?
08/18/2015 11:41 PMPosted by Huuith
If you read the blues posts they said that sometimes they give game time for the unexpected problems with the game.
We don't need any refund people its a game (EXPECT) minor issues to arise its not perfect... GIVE BLIZZARD A BREAK they are doing the best they can. Just go to bed if your that frustrated... seriously
C'mon GMs..most of the larger realms are down. we all appreciate your work but could you just give us a hint as to how long it will take to get us back online?
08/18/2015 11:36 PMPosted by Bunnymilk
08/18/2015 11:33 PMPosted by Wrathofbeans

because we are paying for a product we cant use. its like paying the electric bill and not having electricity on. guess what happens when you have a power outage. you don't pay for anything because its not on or working

Read this. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/14056995756?page=4#71

Then halt your subscription. It doesn't change anything except that you're no longer paying something that appears to aggravate you.

You probably shouldn't buy home alarms, pay local taxes, power bill, cable bill, or anything that can ever go out. In fact, go off the grid. That's the only way to alleviate yourself of paying for stuff that isn't up 100% of the time.

World of Warcraft for all of it's outages is still up 99.992% of the time. Most SLAs in the $100,000 to $200,000 range don't offer 99.99% uptime. To put this into perspective for you, WoW is up over 8600 hours per year, with only 72 hours per year (on average) of unscheduled downtime.

And you pay less than $180/yr per account, per year.

No amount of threats, and no amount of money is going to fix this particular issue. I only brought up one method of DDoS, there are dozens. Every time you account for one, another one is used. You can't account for all of them because then you'd be pissed about your 500ms latency that results from scanning, routing, and dropping undesired traffic. Not to mention the hoops you'd have to jump through to authenticate yourself through the layers of network topology. (The technology I'm describing doesn't exist except in private WAN and LAN, FYI.)

So, either enjoy your 8600ish hours of uptime, or quit over the .008% time that it's down if that's too much to bear.

To add to that, $15/30 days of game time amounts to $.02/hour to play WoW. I think getting upset and demanding/expection/feeling entitled to free things over $.04 is a bit presumptuous. Unless the poster that demanded free game time actually picks up pennies out of water drains and such?
Nesingwary
08/18/2015 11:38 PMPosted by Ruined
Proudmoore just went down.

this
Haha what did WoW do to China man. DDoS is still hitting... :( beddy byes for me probably best to wait them out I'm on the east coast anywho gn!
For players asking if they'll be notified of game time is granted, we don't proactively notify players. It's a seamless game time grant - if you check your Account History for your WoW Account you'll see game time applied.

Game Time is applied before subscriptions, so if you have a running sub and a free day is awarded it'll be used before you're billed again.

Edit: Also worth mentioning, people are frustrated and passions are high. Try to be respectful in voicing your frustrations (and please try to be mindful of that when replying to those who are equally frustrated). I'll continue to moderate the thread accordingly, but I want everyone to have a chance to express themselves appropriately.
Awwwww, Magikarp. Yeah.... Just as a quick note, I wanted to mention that I haven't ran into the problem as of yet.

>.>

<<Knocks on wood.>>

But shouldn't we only be mad at the people who are doing the DDOS'ing? Can't really blame the victim. Just wanted to leave that comment...
Not sure if it matters but, on Blackwater Raiders/Shadow Council; if I try to port directly to SMC on my mage, it doesn't work, gives me the x realm zone is down transfer aborted blah blah blah message. But, I can port to Shattrah, and then I can teleport/portal to SMC. However, there are no obejects or NPCs loading. Not a single bench, not a single leader npc, not even the general and local defense. Not sure if it helps you guy's in fixing the servers, but I hope it helps.
08/18/2015 11:43 PMPosted by Butterfli
This is gonna sound so stupid what is a DDOS attack?

Distributed Denial of Service.

Copy and pasting from webopedia...

"DDoS is a type of DOS attack where multiple compromised systems, which are often infected with a Trojan, are used to target a single system causing a Denial of Service (DoS) attack. Victims of a DDoS attack consist of both the end targeted system and all systems maliciously used and controlled by the hacker in the distributed attack."

"How DDoS Attacks Work
According to this report on eSecurityPlanet, in a DDoS attack, the incoming traffic flooding the victim originates from many different sources – potentially hundreds of thousands or more. This effectively makes it impossible to stop the attack simply by blocking a single IP address; plus, it is very difficult to distinguish legitimate user traffic from attack traffic when spread across so many points of origin."
08/18/2015 11:44 PMPosted by Glaxigrav
For players asking if they'll be notified of game time is granted, we don't proactively notify players. It's a seamless game time grant - if you check your Account History for your WoW Account you'll see game time applied.

Game Time is applied before subscriptions, so if you have a running sub and a free day is awarded it'll be used before you're billed again.

Edit: Also worth mentioning, people are frustrated and passions are high. Try to be respectful in voicing your frustrations (and please try to be mindful of that when replying to those who are equally frustrated). I'll continue to moderate the thread accordingly, but I want everyone to have a chance to express themselves appropriately.

There, now hopefully the whiner babys will stop crying about it.

So what if you lose your like $.50 you lost today. People lose that much on a daily basis just falling out of their pocket or getting lost in their car. (Or stroller).
Parsed means to look at a set of data and to reorganize it to suit your needs...
Is Moon Guard still down?
Honestly, asking for compensation for something like this is rude. If the problem continued for multiple days, possibly, but people who missed out on arena rating or a boss kill or a rare spawn and are asking for compensation currently, well that's just pathetic.

That's like asking the government to compensate you because it was raining when you walked to work.
It's out of their hands, the best you can do is take an umbrella and the best blizz can do is try to mitigate or block the ddos.
My tin hat foil theory is that since no flying happened today, all of the flying crowd who are mad did a ddos attack tonight on as many servers as possible. Guess time will tell as to what happened.
Should we worry about our account safety at all?