Guild Rep is 100% Stupid.

General Discussion
Prev 1 34 35 36 66 Next
As fas as I know, only group activity can give you guild rep. That is a perfectly sound idea, and I agree with Blizz that guild perks and stuff is something you have to work for, ad if you never get them, so what?... they're supposed to be privileges for the most cooperative players in the guild: intense people who hold guilds together. I've never liked the loners that get invited by whatever reason but after that they just wander around minding they're own game, never hopping into vent, never helping, etc. Its just as if they weren't there.
I also, with blizz, strongly disagree with the idea of buying your way into perks... thats just terrible.

Nevertheless, i think that there should be some individual activity that does give you guild reputation, like getting a hard achievement, being generous to the guild bank, and even getting lucky in archeology or in getting a mount drop... all of these i think are valid sources of guild rep because they give you guild reputation in real life; and therefore adds to guild interaction. The grinding could be prevented with daily rep cap, or even a specialized (in game) individual sourced rep diminished returns.

Might sound too complex for such a small issue (you don't get the armadillo... so what? enjoy the game emo kid), but I think its important we consider that not all "alone" activities in wow are "loner" activities.
01/20/2011 6:59 PMPosted by Paxis
I apologize, I don't intend to keep being combative against specific comments as if the system is perfect. We've brought up a lot of these concerns to the designers, I know for a fact they're constantly discussing it, and we're of course looking for ways to improve the system as a whole. To briefly reiterate, we appreciate the constructive feedback that's been offered or has yet to be posted.

Could you broadcast the dev discussions as live chat. I would love to watch and see what you guys talk about.

I've only been asking for this for about six years... don't hold your breath ;P
A couple suggestions.

1. Quests should give a set amount of guild xp depending on their color in the quest log.
Green quests = x
Yellow quests = x + y
Red quests = x + y + z

This means a level 10 players quests give the same amount of xp to the guild as a level 85 player. This fixes everything from leveling guilds not being able to level up their guild to just running out of quests on your 85's and dailies not getting you to the guild daily cap. Allow you to use your leveling alts.

2. Guild rep should be obtained from profession skill ups. Leveling your professions is good for the guild and should give you rep. Once you have maxed out your professions you can no longer get guild rep by creating recopies that would other wise give a skill up.

3. You should get guild rep when you craft an epic pattern. The same patterns that show up in the guild news feed. If it is important enough to show up there it should give you rep.

4. Let gray quests give more guild rep. Just like gray quests for other reps.
Just admit that guild rep is broken; it does not scale to guilds of all sizes and styles.

I like the idea of building my guild... but at what cost? Hiring a bunch of goons into my guild that make /g as terrible as /trade?

Or going the slow route and working with a group of people I know and trust?

There needs to be better ways to measure guild devotion. Can't you add some other ways to gain? Just make it like certain religious/cult establishments; donate to the guild bank and your reputation will go up by a fraction of what you contribute!

Ok ok... that last one was rough but guild rep, as it is now, is broken.
01/21/2011 9:16 AMPosted by Aphrodyti
My issue is that bringing my alts into my guild i've been with for over a year gets me nothing ... my alts should share my rep since I AM THE PERSON IN THE GUILD. All my 85 alts should share my guild rep (lower then 85 i understand).

GRep is there for exactly the reason Bash stated that it is there:

01/17/2011 12:05 PMPosted by Bashiok
Guild rep exists to gate rewards based on someone's actual contributions to their guild, not just being some dope on the roster.

It has only one other purpose (to prevent GM's from soliciting for members explicitly for hard to get Guild Achievements, like Legendary) and there's really no reason to care about it on your alts.
01/21/2011 9:22 AMPosted by Siekai
The guild rep system is actualy one of the best things blizz has come out with and its also one of the only systems that i have seen out there that actualy works. now when it comes to peopel that say "oh we should not have to do this if were officers" lol the best way to find out if your good for any guild is if you work to get exalted with your guild that way you can keep your rank. guild rep is the perfic indicator of how hard you work to make your guild beter.

Firstly I don't think the idea was terrible just maybe the implementation. I don't expect to reach exalted in a week and I have no problem with the rep level I have.

I agree that officers shouldn't start with rep they need to work at it too.

But i would like to point out guild rep is not the perfect indicator of how hard YOU work to make your guild better.

It IS the perfect indicator of how many Tol Barad dailies you do to get YOURSELF a gold and items.
It IS the perfect indicator of how many rep quests you do for a faction to get a 359 for YOURSELF

It is NOT the perfect indicator of how many guildies you help out by making 333 or 346 gear with blacksmithing/leatherworking etc... and not selling it on the AH.
It is NOT the perfect indicator of how much you help out other guildies with their skills buy giving them ore/herbs/cloth etc... instead of selling it on the AH.
It is NOT the perfect indicator of all the free flasks/gems/food/drums etc... you provide for raids
It is NOT the perfect indicator of all the time you take researching boss fights and helping out other guild members with damage rotations and PVP tips.
It is NOT the perfect indicator of all the times you take time and help a Lowbie in your guild with a quest.
It is NOT the perfect indicator of all times you hit pass on the chaos orb so someone else can make an epic for another guildie.

It's MAINLY the perfect indicator of how much time you spend working on things that ONLY help YOU.

I love you.

I want everyone to read the above post. This poster is my hero.
01/21/2011 9:45 AMPosted by Sariax

It has only one other purpose (to prevent GM's from soliciting for members explicitly for hard to get Guild Achievements, like Legendary) and there's really no reason to care about it on your alts.

Uh, not at all. On my main's server I saw a high level guild already posting in /trade that they are accepting members at 20k gold a pop to be in the guild to earn the Reins of the Dark Phoenix

Now plenty of people responded back and bashed them; pointed out it would take months to grind rep; and that nothing would prevent a /gkick before the mount was earned. Still - this is not a way to reduce guild solicitation for rewards, and only further widens the gap between small / casual guilds and large workforce guilds.
01/17/2011 12:15 PMPosted by Bawsy
The point is not to force you to do things you do not want to do, but instead be rewarded for participating in activities with your guild. And it uses criteria that ideally keep it from getting too 'gamey'. We could probably say if you make a flask, give it to a guild mate, and they drink it, you get some guild rep. And then that type of action turns into a fun farming game that has nothing to do with actually encouraging guild interaction.

how do random dailies or fishing quests have anything to do with guild interaction?

[b]shhhhh!!!![/quote]

i like that i get guild rep from those seeing as it's so slow to accrue.

Uh, not at all. On my main's server I saw a high level guild already posting in /trade that they are accepting members at 20k gold a pop to be in the guild to earn the Reins of the Dark Phoenix

Now plenty of people responded back and bashed them; pointed out it would take months to grind rep; and that nothing would prevent a /gkick before the mount was earned. Still - this is not a way to reduce guild solicitation for rewards, and only further widens the gap between small / casual guilds and large workforce guilds.

Well, that kinda falls under the gating rewards example. IE people can't just pay to be in the guild and expect to buy an unlocked reward immediately. They would have to spend 12 weeks in the guild grinding rep before they could buy that particular reward.

The achievement example works in the other direction, Joe Thunderfury has a Legendary, and the Guild wants to buy his membership to unlock the Legendary achievement. But in order for his possession of Thunderfury to count, he would have to stay in the guild and get his rep to Revered, which would take a number of weeks/months.

01/21/2011 10:02 AMPosted by Aestu
I have every legendary. When I dinged honored with my guild, we got "The Ultimate Collection" instantly, even though I can't equip the warglaives and Thoridal in my bank and don't have the associated feats (not for want of crying to GMs).

That's exactly the way it's supposed to work, you had to spend time (and effort) in the guild to reach the required reputation before it counted. The point is you couldn't go join another guild for 5 minutes just to unlock the achievement for them.

Edit: I realize that my original statement did not include a mention of the required time investment, so I can see why it was confusing.
01/21/2011 10:14 AMPosted by Aestu
Getting honored takes, what, one month? And the achievement persists after the player has left the guild.

If a guild offered me a few thousand gold to sit in guild long enough for them to ding the achievement, I'd totally go for it. What's it to me? I can grind my former guild rep right back up.

That is certainly your option if you wish to do that. Actually it only takes about ~3 caps to reach honored. The system doesn't prevent the behavior, it just limits it, and makes it require time (and effort).

Also was under impression that the rep requirement for that achievement was Revered not Honored. Still, there's a time investment required regardless. And you couldn't just sit in their guild for 3 weeks, you'd have to run dailies and heroics with them and whatnot to cap your rep, though that may be what you'd normally do anyway.
01/20/2011 6:27 PMPosted by Mishotem

That would cause a whole host of other issues, and when someone legitimately works up their rep with a guild we feel that them keeping the reward is only right.

Punishing the majority who work to earn their rewards is not a solution.

Wait. I thought they lost purchased rewards if they leave the guild. I remember reading that.

Me too... when was this changed? I specifically remember reading that ocne someone leaves, they lose *all* benefits including recipes, items, etc.

01/20/2011 1:25 PMPosted by Hexecution
[quote]
I read this, and then looked at your character portrait.

You sir, are a jerk.

You sir are slow as molasses. Look at the portrait, that is the evilest angriest looking gnome I've seen, not a picture of fun. It was a light hearted joke for those of us with mental speeds above 3rd grade.