Azeroth: A Small Problem

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 13 Next
Yeah. I read something like this at one point or another. Using Vanilla, they calculated the radius of Azeroth at something between 10 and 11 miles.

Azeroth isn't even big enough to have compressed itself to a sphere. ;)

Of course we must consider that this is an abstraction for game convenience. I'd hate to have a to-scale Azeroth, msyelf :D
01/11/2011 9:30 PMPosted by Soeroah
Imagine the !!*#*ing if going from Orgrimmar to Thunderbluff took a fortnight.

I can see guilds making massive /follow caravans, rotating leaders over several days in order to get to a remote raid instance.
Video game worlds are always condensed to be much smaller than what they actually should be.

The RPGs (which present a more realistic interpretation of the world) list places like Goldshire and Razor Hill having hundreds of denizens, where as in the game-world of WoW they have a handful of people, 20 max.

Imagine the !!*#*ing if going from Orgrimmar to Thunderbluff took a fortnight.

I can see guilds making massive /follow caravans, rotating leaders over several days in order to get to a remote raid instance.

They could call it the Mulgore Trail! I just hope we bring enough Axels and Oxen to last the whole journey...
Yes, the game world has been compressed for player convenience. But how much it was compressed is what's great :)
Oh come on, guys, I know that the game world has been compressed and stripped down to make it more practical on a game scale. That wasn't the point. I wanted to know just how small Azeroth would be if the game world really were an accurate rendition, and was just kinda surprised at precisely how tiny it turned out to be, so I thought I'd share. =)
ow ow ow my wee wittle brain can't handle this.......

it's really interesting that you actually took the time to calculate this major kudos

but OWIE! lol
So... how bigs Outland?
I haven't flown Outlands to check, but I'm pretty sure it's about as long as Northrend on each side of the 'triangle' it roughly forms. That would give it a side length of roughly 10 miles and an area (including the bits of twisting nether between the islands of Netherstorm and between Hellfire and the surrounding zones to the north and south) of about 86 sq miles.

This also means that given that the curvature of Outlands is rather slight, Draenor was significantly larger than Azeroth appears to be in-game.
01/11/2011 10:09 PMPosted by Daelyn
I haven't flown Outlands to check, but I'm pretty sure it's about as long as Northrend on each side of the 'triangle' it roughly forms. That would give it a side length of roughly 10 miles and an area (including the bits of twisting nether between the islands of Netherstorm and between Hellfire and the surrounding zones to the north and south) of about 86 sq miles.

This also means that given that the curvature of Outlands is rather slight, Draenor was significantly larger than Azeroth appears to be in-game.

Perhaps there are other, larger fragments of Draenor out there still capable of supporting 'life'....
And interesting theory. Could be we may find them down the line, there were other dark portals if I recall correctly...
Wow! Well done!

In order to remain completely scientifically in-context, I'm going to theorize that the weird mass and other oddities are due to the Titan manufacturing the planet, rather than it being "born" on its own.

Things to consider:
- This explains why Deathwing traversed the entire planet in the space of one FMV.
-- This does not, however, explain where the hell Deathwing hides out, thereby denying me my "Stood in the Fire" achievement.
- Why does the Burning Legion want a planet so miniscule like Azeroth destroyed, then? It should be barely a blip on their radar of cosmic abundance!
- The Maelstrom could be the reason the tides are all "Earth-like", and is caused by the aforementioned black hole. That's why there's a Maelstrom in the first place!
- The size of the planet would be the reason why there's such quick boat rides between the continents. But it does not, as the loading screen is only a few seconds long. Can someone work out the maths on that? How fast is the boat travelling during your loading screen?
NPC: Hey! You there! Yes you, young Paladin, you look to have a strong back and much experience with combat. I have a task for you. Lately, troggs have been raiding our caravan on a weekly basis, and what few soldiers we had to protect us have been killed defending our meager supplies. We still have a long ways to go, and we cannot afford another attack. Will you help to thin their numbers, Judgeyoface?

Judgeyoface: hmmm i guess i can help where are they?

NPC: Scouts report their encampment lies about 4 miles east of here.

Judgeyoface: lol dude, im not going halfway around the world for you.

NPC: What? They are right over there!
The NPC points to a group of troggs 40 yards his right, busy doing trogg stuff
Judgeyoface: oh well in that case
12 dead troggs later
NPC: You have my thanks Judgeyoface. As a reward, please accept this 17 silver and 3000 XP points, as well as 250 reputation with Orgrimmar.
- The size of the planet would be the reason why there's such quick boat rides between the continents. But it does not, as the loading screen is only a few seconds long. Can someone work out the maths on that? How fast is the boat travelling during your loading screen?

Assuming the ocean is about 20 miles across (corroborated by the titan models of the planet, wherein the sea between EK and Kalimdor is close to a hemisphere on it's own), so a 25+ mile trip (since it curves around the Maelstrom (the wrong way! arrrrgh!)), and assuming a 10-second load screen (my addons weigh the boat down =/ ), the winds and current would have to be pushing the boat at over 9000 mph (straight up, too, 25 miles in 10 seconds is 9000 mph). Now, assuming constant acceleration to mid-point, then constant deceleration to end-point, rather than a constant speed....

Maximum speed at the mid-point of 4 miles-per-second, or 14400 mph, and an acceleration of just under 1250 m/s^2 (~128 G, about 10 times what the human body can tolerate sustained)
01/11/2011 10:05 PMPosted by Dstnyclwdfst
So... how bigs Outland?

It's probly like a parking lot.
01/11/2011 10:37 PMPosted by Daelyn

Assuming the ocean is about 20 miles across (corroborated by the titan models of the planet, wherein the sea between EK and Kalimdor is close to a hemisphere on it's own), so a 25+ mile trip (since it curves around the Maelstrom (the wrong way! arrrrgh!)), and assuming a 10-second load screen (my addons weigh the boat down =/ ), the winds and current would have to be pushing the boat at over 9000 mph (straight up, too, 25 miles in 10 seconds is 9000 mph). Now, assuming constant acceleration to mid-point, then constant deceleration to end-point, rather than a constant speed....

Maximum speed at the mid-point of 4 miles-per-second, or 14400 mph, and an acceleration of just under 1250 m/s^2 (~128 G, about 10 times what the human body can tolerate sustained)

I had a feeling it would be something extreme like that. They need seatbelts on those things.
I was thinking about what would happen if the distance and time compression ratios were equal. If we assume that Azeroth is supposed to be an Earth-sized planet, a diameter of 8 miles would work out at being 58 times smaller than Earth. This would mean that a pole-to-pole trip on Azeroth that takes ~10 minutes would work out at approximately 9.6 hours in "real" time, which would mean your flying mount is travelling at about 1295 mph (or mach 1.68).

However, multiplying your given speed of 65 mph by 58 gives us a speed of 3770 mph, or almost 3 times faster. This means that either the compression ratio is some zany variable number, or I buggered up my math on account of being so very, very tired. I'm leaning towards the latter, myself.
Very interesting. May I add that the actual known world of azeroth is probably only the size of Britain relative to the size of earth, ie what you see on the map is probably about 5% of the whole world map. Azeroth could also be located in the northern hemisphere and booty bay closer to the equator.

I suspect you will find later that there are more territories to be discovered :)
01/11/2011 10:55 PMPosted by Monsoon
Very interesting. May I add that the actual known world of azeroth is probably only the size of Britain relative to the size of earth, ie what you see on the map is probably about 5% of the whole world map. Azeroth could also be located in the northern hemisphere and booty bay closer to the equator.

I suspect you will find later that there are more territories to be discovered :)

That would be pretty sweet. Although there are globes of (assuming) Azeroth in Ulduar that show the world that we know as being the entirety of the globe. If that is to be believed of course.