Toxic playerbase?

General Discussion
08/19/2015 12:27 PMPosted by Caffeine

The nicest thing I can remember about vanilla was that someone helped me to my warlock's dreadsteed quest just to be nice

On the whole the community is more empathetic with new player than it used to be

Thanks to LFD/LFR you aren't forced to play with good players/bad people anymore like you used to be

One of my fondest memories of Vanilla are from doing the Dreadsteed chain quest with random people who helped me!
08/19/2015 12:35 PMPosted by Drarren

The nicest thing I can remember about vanilla was that someone helped me to my warlock's dreadsteed quest just to be nice

On the whole the community is more empathetic with new player than it used to be

Thanks to LFD/LFR you aren't forced to play with good players/bad people anymore like you used to be

One of my fondest memories of Vanilla are from doing the Dreadsteed chain quest with random people who helped me!
I remember doing the damn gel hunter quest and I couldn't not figure out where the hell it was I remember getting close. It was either located in Khaz'modan or Arathi highlands in a cave by the ocean hell it was SO long ago! Anyway someone final helped me :)
The first couple of months after Cata was released saw the most toxic community Wow ever had, IMO.

All the Wrath babies finding out that content was going to be difficult again (what's CC?) brought out the absolute worst in everyone.

From there, however, it got better.
08/19/2015 12:23 PMPosted by Probability
Toxic devs who are overcome with hubris = Angry player base.
Fun games = happy customers.
The expectation is different now. In vanilla, very few knew what the numbers were, or the fight strats, so everyone had a different one, and people didnt hold it against you for most things. There were always people who would boot you for being newb, but you had more control. People also had to ask if you did something, so you explained it through whispers. There was just more interaction that gave you more of a sense that people were actually PEOPLE at the other end. If find the systems are awesome now but they make things colder and more disconnected, which makes it easier to shoot insults.
I think the "toxic playerbase" is really "toxic humanity", the dark, sadistic, insulting, impatient part of many people's minds that they let out when it's anonymous. Read some comments to Yahoo news articles and you see exactly the same thing.

Sad really.
I too have been playing off and on with different accounts (money problems) since public beta of Vanilla. But, I have to disagree with the OP. The community has become more toxic since Cataclysm launched.

I've always been treated poorly in the game, but that's a result of me being a magnet for that sort of thing.

Vanilla - WotLK people were actually helpful and not as easily pissed off at others during dungeons and questing and stuff. I'm not saying anyone here are like the asshats I see in-game, but The community in general has become very toxic since Cata launched. Before that, people weren't as angsty as they are now.

I'm not saying that if you joined the game post-Cata you are super angsty.....I'm saying that the general playerbase has become more toxic/angsty since post-Cata. Also depends on what server you're on.
Well the forums have gone from bad to worse. Used to be 50% whining threads with a lot of downvotres. Now it's 90% whining threads with a lot of upvotes.
classic -trade chat -

"can someone tell me how to get to stormwind from darnassus please?"

"near the bank, you will see a glowing like doorway, that's a portal, go through it and look down near water, go there and you will see an NPC, talk to them and they will tell you which boat to take"

"thanks"

"np:)"

fast forward

cata and forward - trade chat -

same question

"google, its your friend"

"google, use it"

"lol noob"

"omg, fail"

"another lazy fail, look it up"

"look it up, don't ask us to waste our time you (fill in insult)"

classic and new to the instance, much more likely to get polite instruction

wod and new to the instance, likely to get kicked with nary a word

classic, new to the game, no clue what to do and in all probability, someone would spend 30 minutes with you telling you how to gear, what stats to concentrate on even referring you to a top line player in armory to copy

wod and same situation

and a new player will be told

"look it up (blank)"

"icy veins"

"no don't go there, use wowwiki"

"no those suck, use mrrobot"

"another fail tank/healer/dps"

There is a significant difference between classic and today, while there have always the rude players, more players used to be willing to step up, step in and lend guidance.
08/19/2015 12:10 PMPosted by Belf
Lol iv played off and on since the end of vanilla iv gone through 5 accounts (not good at remembering passwords) the playerbase has never been nice or kind if anything it used to be way WAY worse,

08/19/2015 12:13 PMPosted by Snowfox
I can accept that some of the playerbase has always been "angsty"

I do not believe, even a little, that it used to be worse.

And I agree with Snow..oo thats something new lol. But no we had our trolls always, but we never had the kind of overall community as nasty as it is now.
OP people are vile, its like that in any fanbase. Trust me, I have seen some insane people exist in the halo, cod, sonic, and I can keep going on. Be thankful wow has a filter and no one uses voice chat. Because if there was no filter and voice chat was used in game instead of text as the main form of communication. I could see your post being 100% true but then again I would have fun. But thats just me I purposely pick fights and make people mad when there being beeps. So much betraying in halo, kind wish wow had that but it does not.
My worst experiences with wow are from when I started.

Every time I asked a question it was 'lol Thottbot' (I actually didn't find out it was a website for a while, I thought it was some kind of esoteric insult)

The first time I managed to get into a dungeon group after asking for hours was for Scarlet Monestary and the group immediately kicked me out for being a 'lolretadin'

Later I was kick out of a group for not knowing what threat was

Man, my experience was nearly the opposite. I first started playing the day TBC's prepatch came out. People were just stellar leveling up and I dont think anybody I met seriously knew what they were doing but it was OK anyways. When I finally got attuned for Kara, I really had no business being in that raid but my mage only had one viable spec and only two dps abilities, so whatever.

Nowadays you see a certain intolerance towards new players, and I don't mean the 'just google it' variety. Is your first character not totally decked out in heirlooms? prepare to get kicked. Don't really know what secondary you need and roll on the wrong gear? You're a ninja and under no circumstances will a misunderstanding be let to slide. Feeling overwhelmed when your group wordlessly runs ahead pulling nonstop and you aren't sure what to do? git gud or git out.

There's another MMO that I like to play with a notorious community: Eve Online. If you haven't played, you probably know of it as a bastard fight pit full of bastards, and that is totally true, but there is also an unexpected culture of generosity. When you get podded, your opponent will mail you some funds to get back on your feet and advice for your next encounters. Any corp that wants get someplace will have a newbie onboarding program designed to feed you game knowledge, skillbooks, and cover the cost of your learning fails. The best thing (IMO) is that a day0 character can be useful in a fleet engagement, contrasted to other MMOs where you need to level up 100 times before you can even call yourself a newb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96b7Jk5xCTQ

The reason for this is simple. Eve is not the most attractive game ever, and it suffers attrition just like any other MMO. The players realize that their game is unique and will probably never be replicated anywhere else. If it dies, that's it, so to keep it alive, instead of !@#$%ing endlessly at the devs, they took it upon themselves to include new players in an unprecedented way.

Ten years from now, I wouldn't be surprised if WoW has been replaced, but I guarantee you eve online will still be going and will still provide something that isn't offered anywhere else.
08/19/2015 12:13 PMPosted by Snowfox
I can accept that some of the playerbase has always been "angsty"

I do not believe, even a little, that it used to be worse.

This pretty much sums it up.

Complaints used to be more in the vein of "Blizzard doesn't care about x," or "What is Blizzard thinking!?" Now it's more like "Chris Metzen is actually the public face of Emperor Palpantine and it's only a matter of time before he overthrows the senate and assumes complete control, ushering in an age of unparalleled tyranny and suffering."
its the internet, you have to be the change you wish to see