People exagerrate about Cataclysm IMO

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Opinions ahead, not facts:

Aside from Dragonsoul sucking Cataclysm was pretty good. It basically has "Return of the Jedi" syndrome. The quality was spotty in places and Uldum had too many pop culture references but it was still pretty enjoyable? I'm not trying to say Cata was the best expansion ever, it just gets too much hate.

The two things I outright hated about Cataclysm:
Dragonsoul
The "remake" of Shadowfang Keep

The whole old world revamp was a very ballsy move and it was really needed. I miss certain old zones like Azshara but I'm not going to try to say that zone was more enjoyable back then.

Disagree if you want, just how I feel.
Heroics were a nightmare unless you ran them with a group of friends that knew what they were doing.
I'm exploring the 'New' cataclysm world on many low level alts. I enjoy the leveling process quite a lot through the 'New' Azeroth in general much more than the old one- look at BC for reference for how old Azeroth worked (And take away your ability to fly, too.)
People hated Cataclysm because the return to challenging heroic dungeons exposed their skill level and it hurt their feelings.

But rather than rise up and get better, they whined for things to be nerfed to their level.

And this has been a pattern ever since. The latest one is whining about the need to do Pathfinder to fly.
Good for you. I'm a MoP fan :)
Pretty sure people hated cata for different reasons.

We had to spend 12 months in Dragon Soul.

Also..... Go'el...Go'el....Go'el my love... GO'EL!!!!!!!!!

Seriously green jesus I'm glad you're not stealing all my thunder again..... Oh wait WOD nagrand.
09/07/2015 12:47 AMPosted by Goldbrand
People hated Cataclysm because the return to challenging heroic dungeons exposed their skill level and it hurt their feelings.

Funny. I hated Cataclysm because of lackluster raids, only 5 additional player levels, zones were spread out and it felt like jumping from zone to zone rather than exploring a continent, no new cities, very few additional features added to the game, new zones were horribly designed and lackluster, no new class, destruction of talent trees, horrible reputations that make no sense and have had no impact on the storyline or world at large.
09/07/2015 12:49 AMPosted by Aaeiyn

MoP <3.
09/07/2015 12:38 AMPosted by Aznable

Aside from Dragonsoul sucking Cataclysm was pretty good. It basically has "Return of the Jedi" syndrome. The quality was spotty in places and Uldum had too many pop culture references but it was still pretty enjoyable? I'm not trying to say Cata was the best expansion ever, it just gets too much hate.

Dragonsoul

The whole old world revamp was a very ballsy move and it was really needed. I miss certain old zones like Azshara but I'm not going to try to say that zone was more enjoyable back then.

IMO cata sucked. It was the only exp that made me leave the game.
Cata heroics were nasty!
09/07/2015 01:01 AMPosted by Haysus
09/07/2015 12:47 AMPosted by Goldbrand

Funny. I hated Cataclysm because of lackluster raids, only 5 additional player levels, zones were spread out and it felt like jumping from zone to zone rather than exploring a continent, no new cities, very few additional features added to the game, new zones were horribly designed and lackluster, no new class, destruction of talent trees, horrible reputations that make no sense and have had no impact on the storyline or world at large.

While I'm sure you hated Cataclysm for legitimate reasons, surely you remember the influx of threads like these.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1406223891?page=1

That thread was asking for heroics to be nerfed, just 3 days after the expansion release. Three. 3.
I miss cata. It was when I first started playing the game and the dungeons were amazing. They were difficult and as a new player I enjoyed every minute of it.

Sucks that that was my first experience of dungeons, as ever since I feel let down at their difficulty. Oh well, im probably one of the few who enjoyed their difficulty anyway.
09/07/2015 12:38 AMPosted by Aznable

Dragonsoul

I've always defended cata. I had a great time. Several of the zones are among my favourites of all time.

Worgens and goblins were completely wasted though. Draenei and blood elves were a key part of BC. Pandarens were a key part of MoP. Worgs and gobbies though, they added next to nothing.
Takes what... 2.5 expansions for a "hated" expansion to be liked?

I didn't troll the forums in Vanilla or BC, but I started paying attention to them during Wrath. "Wrath baby" was coined, and people endlessly talked about how "awful" Wrath was. Everything about it (with VERY occasional praise for certain portions of the story, e.g. Battle for Undercity) was derided as garbage.

Then Cata came, and it was the new posterchild for hatred, with much derision thrown at "wrath babies" for being "spoiled" and whining about how "hard" Cata was. Repeat the derision for Cata.

Then MoP. Early comparisons to Wrath, especially with regards to ease of dungeons. Derision from every direction, longing for the "good old days" of yore. Then whisperings of how awesome Wrath was. Finally MoP was considered an utter failure, derided for all the same reasons as Wrath and Cata (with the exception of difficulty of heroics in Cata).

Now as WoD gets long in the tooth, Wrath is held up as the pinnacle of WoW's success, and Cata is beginning to get whispered as being good.

So what, by the end of the expansion after Legion people will begin to look fondly on WoD, and by the expansion after that it will be remembered as something enjoyable.

FWIW, WoD is the most fun I've had leveling in a long time. Aside from some Garrison complaints, I found leveling in WoD very enjoyable.

I loved MoP too.

I remember the cata launch heroics well because it was the first (and last) time I decided to learn tanking on my DK. To be honest I had a ton of fun in places like Stonecore and Grim Batol, rough, but I talked to my friends on skype and we'd group together.
I genuinely enjoyed cata, and not for the "Oh well I started then" nostalgia. The dungeons were a ton of fun, and I really enjoyed all the dailies. I was among the crazy people who wanted more than 25 dailies a day. I actually took a liking to alts and pvp, because tol borad was a ton of fun with a bunch of people.

Since then I've become bitter and impatient when it comes to alts/pvp/dungeons, because they don't hold my interest like they did in cata.
09/07/2015 01:14 AMPosted by Aznable

I loved MoP too.

I remember the cata launch heroics well because it was the first (and last) time I decided to learn tanking on my DK. To be honest I had a ton of fun in places like Stonecore and Grim Batol, rough, but I talked to my friends on skype and we'd group together.

*GASP*

Playing an MMO with friends?!
09/07/2015 12:44 AMPosted by Angrella
Heroics were a nightmare unless you ran them with a group of friends that knew what they were doing.

Only for the first 2 weeks. Then they got easily facerolable through.I'd love to know why the initial difficulty was the only thing that stuck in peoples minds.
09/07/2015 12:44 AMPosted by Angrella

I ran countless pugs and LFDs and apart from a few exceptions you really only needed 2 or 3 party members who knew what they were doing. Of course the tank absolutely had to be one of them.
09/07/2015 01:03 AMPosted by Goldbrand
While I'm sure you hated Cataclysm for legitimate reasons, surely you remember the influx of threads like these.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1406223891?page=1

That thread was asking for heroics to be nerfed, just 3 days after the expansion release. Three. 3.

That's a valid point. But let's not pretend harder dungeons were the sole reason people were unhappy with Cata.

As for people complaining about having to do pathfinder, it's not a difficult achievement, it's not hard, it's just that it has been hit max level (or near it), pay gold, and you can fly for 8 years now. I like and enjoy that model, I am sure plenty of others did as well. I never had a problem with that model, and it actually gave me more choice than the current model. They took a part of the game I found enjoyable, and made it un-enjoyable. That's the problem I think most people are having.
09/07/2015 01:01 AMPosted by Haysus

• Talent trees weren't blown up until MoP.
  • The entire old world was revamped and flight was added - saying there were no new features is just wrong.
  • I liked the Cata zones. Vash'jir was kinda hit/miss but Hyjal, Deepholm and Twilight Highlands were great. I liked Uldum too though many disagree.
  • Reputations are always senseless grinds - I've never been a fan.