People exagerrate about Cataclysm IMO

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 8 Next
09/07/2015 02:30 AMPosted by Berg
I still can't get the Uldum taste out of my mouth. The zone was gorgeous, but they decided to fill Azeroth's cradle of civilization with 80+ Indiana Jones references.

I just feel like Uldum was the beginning of the end as far as WoW lore goes. It was the exact point at which the writers at Blizzard made it clear that they consider WoW's story a joke that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously in any capacity--a full 180 from the epic that was Wrath of the Lich King.

Really, compare the two. Compare Lich King to "Onyxia and Nefarian are BACK! AGAIN! And Ragnaros is back AGAIN too! And Zul'Aman is back AGAIN! And Dragonblight is back AGAIN! And time travel or something!"

Perhaps the most unfortunate thing is that Cataclysm has bled into all the expansions. Vanilla is gone because of it, and it's still affecting the game. For example, Stormwind Park will still be on fire even in Legion. The devs really care so little that they aren't going to make Stormwind not on fire after five years? So tacky, so disappointing for the #1 MMO in existence. WoW deserves better.

Quoted and up voted and adding that the Park will not be fixed because the crater and ruins are the site of a quest opening up a Cata zone. Don't expect that park to ever be repaired, Alliance people.
I'm sorry, but the disjointed feel of everything, an entire zone completely lost to an endless movie reference, the obliteration of multiple characters for "reasons," etc etc... it's not as bad as Warlords but I don't think it should be let off the hook either.
I played right at the start and enjoyed the harder heroics, but quit early on. Came back for firelands, but quit for DS, so Cata for me was pretty awesome.
I hated cata.

There were raids that were just flat ignored because they weren't really worth while. The 5 mans were okay and brought some interesting changes were overall lacking. The questing was absolutely horrible with an entire zone being completely garbage. The professions were gutted and lost a lot of what made them fun. And it felt like a bulk of the development time went into redesigning old world. Which really did need the redesign and still is the worst part of leveling; but it came at the cost of so much that should have went to making the game more sustainable.

There are reasons why Cata saw the sharpest subscription decline. It just wasn't very good.
09/07/2015 01:30 AMPosted by Druimeister
09/07/2015 12:44 AMPosted by Angrella
Heroics were a nightmare unless you ran them with a group of friends that knew what they were doing.

I ran countless pugs and LFDs and apart from a few exceptions you really only needed 2 or 3 party members who knew what they were doing. Of course the tank absolutely had to be one of them.

That sounds about right.

As a tank pugging I very rarely ran into problems. As a healer pugging I occasionally ran into trouble. As a dps pugging it was a crap shoot.

While this was closer to mid cata I recall duo'ing every boss in a H Stonecore on my resto shaman with a prot warrior. The dps kept finding every "one shot" mechanic out there. The first boss was by far the trickiest with the crystals but back then resto shaman had pretty good aoe dps with magma totem and the exploding flame shock thing.

I have so many memories of doing crazy things in those dungeons like managing to heal some prot warrior through H Deadmines while he was wearing nothing but blue pvp gear and being allergic to defensive CDs. When I zoned in a dps mentioned I was the 5th healer. They were at the first boss.

Tanking a Grim Batol on my prot paladin doing the first boss the hunter agreed to do the CC. I pulled the boss to the tent to give him about a mile to work with. The purple trogg came out, trap went down, he was in an ice cube. Perfect! A second later he was running towards the hunter with serpent sting. Doh! I reflexively taunted him then facepalmed myself. I totally didn't mean to do that. So out came the "No AoE! Single target only!" After my incidental AoE tanking had him close I stopped myself and went single target. When the boss was well into execute range I killed the trogg, buffed the boss, then the boss fell over. Achievement spam for all! :)

Speaking of Grim Batol in one partial guild group we had trouble with the last boss in not getting enough dps on adds. Fortunately our fire mage was able to do a 5 minute coaching session giving basic rotation advice with pointers to future resources with an underperforming pug. After that his dps more than doubled letting us kill the boss.

Sure I had a few bad runs and even a few I just couldn't salvage. I think had the proving grounds been in place it would have mitigated a lot of that. It may just be my rose colored glasses but looking back I thought it was pretty fun.
09/07/2015 07:27 AMPosted by Bomdanil
Don't mind him. Apparently he thinks people have forgotten the endless tears he shed on the forums about things being too difficult for him in end game content just because he's gone all try-hard on us this expansion. He was very much one of those people that needed the nerfs to get anything done.

Please don't engage in the fallacious misrepresentation of what I've said. Nowhere have I said it's bad to express personal objection to something about the game, or to quit if it doesn't please you. What annoys me is entitled hardcores thinking the game should cater to their microminority because they confuse the concepts of "better player" and "better customer".

My position has always been that Blizzard would do better, as a business, if they catered more to people like me and less to people like you.
Wotlk was like filet mignon while cata was the equivalent of ground chuck. If all you ate was filet mignon, then one day you switched to ground chuck, you would hate it more comparatively.

Cata doesn't seem so bad because Blizzard found a way to make something even worse than cata. Now it is like comparing ground chuck to the slab of maggot-infested beef that is WoD.
09/07/2015 08:07 AMPosted by Deepchill
Wotlk was like filet mignon while cata was the equivalent of ground chuck. If all you ate was filet mignon, then one day you switched to ground chuck, you would hate it more comparatively.

Cata doesn't seem so bad because Blizzard found a way to make something even worse than cata. Now it is like comparing ground chuck to the slab of maggot-infested beef that is WoD.

Tell us how you REALLY feel. >_>
09/07/2015 08:09 AMPosted by Wolfar
Tell us how you REALLY feel. >_>
A little sleepy and a bit hungry. Thanks for asking. (。◕‿‿◕。)
I still do not have good opinions on Cataclysm:

-All the 80-85 zones were scattered and barely connected besides the Twilight's Hammer stuff
-Blizz cowering out and nerfing heroics after they said they wouldn't
-Raids were simple and short, and not in a good way (although the fights were good)
-Dragon Soul was a terrible raid and we had it for a full YEAR
-Vashj'ir was an interesting experiment but it felt incredibly disconnected
-Half of Uldum was a giant movie reference
-4.1 was a terrible patch (although to be fair, they did finish the Zandalari story arc well in 5.2)
-GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL GO'EL
-Thrall's wedding questline was the most cringeworthy questline I've ever seen
-Old world revamp took a lot of time and resources from other areas
-Alliance were basically forgotten in the revamp
-Tol Barad was a poor man's Wintergrasp
-Deathwing wasn't a good villain
-Madness of Deathwing was an awful way to kill Deathwing (and Thrall gets the kill-shot)

Not as bad as WoD though I have to say.

09/07/2015 02:30 AMPosted by Berg
I still can't get the Uldum taste out of my mouth. The zone was gorgeous, but they decided to fill Azeroth's cradle of civilization with 80+ Indiana Jones references.

I just feel like Uldum was the beginning of the end as far as WoW lore goes. It was the exact point at which the writers at Blizzard made it clear that they consider WoW's story a joke that doesn't deserve to be taken seriously in any capacity--a full 180 from the epic that was Wrath of the Lich King.

Really, compare the two. Compare Lich King to "Onyxia and Nefarian are BACK! AGAIN! And Ragnaros is back AGAIN too! And Zul'Aman is back AGAIN! And Dragonblight is back AGAIN! And time travel or something!"

Perhaps the most unfortunate thing is that Cataclysm has bled into all the expansions. Vanilla is gone because of it, and it's still affecting the game. For example, Stormwind Park will still be on fire even in Legion. The devs really care so little that they aren't going to make Stormwind not on fire after five years? So tacky, so disappointing for the #1 MMO in existence. WoW deserves better.

This is pretty on par
09/07/2015 12:59 AMPosted by Starbûck
Pretty sure people hated cata for different reasons.

We had to spend 12 months in Dragon Soul.

Also..... Go'el...Go'el....Go'el my love... GO'EL!!!!!!!!!

Seriously green jesus I'm glad you're not stealing all my thunder again..... Oh wait WOD nagrand.

Is it weird that I though of his name being said as if some one made a goal at a football/soccer game?
09/07/2015 12:46 AMPosted by Myu
look at BC for reference for how old Azeroth

Isn't Silithus the oldest content?
Muahahaha.
09/07/2015 12:38 AMPosted by Aznable
Opinions ahead, not facts:

Aside from Dragonsoul sucking Cataclysm was pretty good. It basically has "Return of the Jedi" syndrome. The quality was spotty in places and Uldum had too many pop culture references but it was still pretty enjoyable? I'm not trying to say Cata was the best expansion ever, it just gets too much hate.

The two things I outright hated about Cataclysm:
Dragonsoul
The "remake" of Shadowfang Keep

The whole old world revamp was a very ballsy move and it was really needed. I miss certain old zones like Azshara but I'm not going to try to say that zone was more enjoyable back then.

Disagree if you want, just how I feel.

Nope Cataclysm pretty downright sucked. It's just WoD was worse.

Cataclysm had little end game content because so much effort was put into updating 1-60

Cataclysm had hyper linear quests that felt disjointed and confused. Uldum in particular I hated because of the Harrison Jones quests. Don't mistake, I have no problem with a fun joke quest. I have a problem with most of a zones quest line being a joke quest.

End game was a disaster. They decided they would put no end game content in except for a very small amount of dungeons and raids and then tuned it badly.

For heroics they made it so rather than testing your individual skill you were basically rolling the roulette on your team as to whether you would complete it or not. And if you got Grim Batol you were pretty much out of luck no matter what. The reason people complained was not because it was too hard for them as an individual, but because their success or failure in the heroic had nothing to do with them only random chance from the group finder.

The raids went from allowing social guilds to make slow progress in the raids to stone walling you after the first boss. People were pretty upset.

Cata did manage to get back some of the subs it lost when they added LFR so it ended up getting something right at the end I suppose.

WoD sure didn't, they seem to be eager to double down on mistakes.

WoW has always been full of pop references, and WoW's story has been a joke since BC when they resurrected Illidan, Kael'thas, and did lots of retconning.

WOD's story in the universe is definitely worse though.... They said its canon, but I really hope they completely ignore it going forward.

For heroics they made it so rather than testing your individual skill you were basically rolling the roulette on your team as to whether you would complete it or not. And if you got Grim Batol you were pretty much out of luck no matter what. The reason people complained was not because it was too hard for them as an individual, but because their success or failure in the heroic had nothing to do with them only random chance from the group finder.

So.....pretty much like every other bit of group content in this game? I sure wish raiding was based off individual skill. I would have killed heroic arch months ago.
I thought tier 11 was fantastic. Didn't do any of 12 or 13.

I liked the changes to leveling... at first. Now I look back and wish they hadn't really !@#$ed with the world.
09/07/2015 12:59 AMPosted by Starbûck
Pretty sure people hated cata for different reasons.

We had to spend 12 months in Dragon Soul.

Also..... Go'el...Go'el....Go'el my love... GO'EL!!!!!!!!!

Seriously green jesus I'm glad you're not stealing all my thunder again..... Oh wait WOD nagrand.
only reason people like you hated it is because you never had an alt during that whole time and made up the choice before hand that you would hate Cata Cata was the best expansion ever BC sucked vanilla had almost no questing experience and no quest hubs quest hubs made wow fun
In the past, I've kept Cata at the bottom of the list, but only because something had to be last. I truly liked Cata, and it was a fun time for me to be in a guild which has led to some permanent friendships. I think all of the expansions have a lot of really strong points and some weak points. Some of the things I really liked about Cata were:

-Fun dungeons that made you play smart or die(at least initially)
-Molten Front, which has since been a model for Isle of Thunder, Timeless Isle, and Tanaan
-World bosses in every zone-I remember fighting Garr and Mobus sometimes for over an hour
-Tol Barad dailies and battles(until the zerg technique was perfected lol)
-Firelands-had a couple of my all time favorite boss fights
-Deathwing flying around and cooking you to a crisp from time to time
-Questing that still felt interesting for alts and opposite faction alts(Uldum was my least favorite)
-BoT and BWD were a blast
-Most of DS was fun for me---even getting stomped by Zon'ozz repeatedly if one mechanic wasn't followed.
-Guild incentive/leveling
-Reputation gains-leveling got you most of the way there, and tabard dungeons got you to exalted.
-To me, professions were at their peak in Cata

I think that they implemented an appropriate number of new ideas into the game without dismantling what the game was. WoD ripped out way too many of those things that I loved about the game, so it easily takes the bottom spot. Cata now gets some separation from that honor and stands next to the others as good/great expansions.
Cata is the only time I cancelled my sub. Firelands killed this game for me for a long time. Rhyolith alone was enough to make me hate everything
One of the biggest problems with Cata was that dungeon finder was a thing. When I ran heroics in a guild group, while definitely more challenging, things tended to go fine. But with dungeon finder it was a massive headache.

Stonecore in LFD *cringe*
09/07/2015 08:03 AMPosted by Osmeric
Please don't engage in the fallacious misrepresentation of what I've said.

You may want to reread what I wrote if you think I was telling you to ignore yourself.