Was I Too Harsh?

Dungeons, Raids and Scenarios
I've been leveling my shammy and finally hit Cata dungeons. I always loved these, because even in the normals there were mechanics you had to follow (especially for trash mobs). We were in Stonecore and explained how you have to jump when the rock giants hit the ground, and not to stand in front of the flayers. The monk in our group seemed to think he was above listening to us, because on the very next pull he gets hit by every mechanic and is killed in 2 seconds.

Almost instantly, he says, "rez me." It wasn't a big deal, but for some reason I was irritated. I told him we just explained the mechanics and he can run back while thinking about what he'd done. About 20 seconds later, I'm booted from the group. I didn't think what I said was rude or mean. I'm a high school teacher and a volleyball/football coach. When one of my students makes a mistake during practice, I make him or her run a lap. I applied the same principle here.

If we hadn't just explained the mechanics, I wouldn't have been annoyed. A lot of people forget how punishing Cata can be if you don't pay attention. Was I too harsh, or were those guys being too soft?
Could go either way honestly, although from what you've said I would have ressed him unless they had started to mouth off against the party and blaming their death on you and/or the tank. What's done is done, they have to pay for a repair bill already, not ressing them is just going to slow down the run at that point.
08/15/2015 03:26 AMPosted by Alleautrice
Almost instantly, he says, "rez me." It wasn't a big deal, but for some reason I was irritated. I told him we just explained the mechanics and he can run back while thinking about what he'd done. About 20 seconds later, I'm booted from the group. I didn't think what I said was rude or mean. I'm a high school teacher and a volleyball/football coach. When one of my students makes a mistake during practice, I make him or her run a lap. I applied the same principle here.

As a fellow teacher, this surprises me.

1) People are naturally sensitive about mistakes. Being called out for them, right or wrong, can feel confrontational. You are not this person's boss or coach. You are another player in a game.

2) You essentially chose to 'punish' a player for what you believed was a mistake. It would have cost you nothing to res them. Instead you decided to punish them. If you were their boss, that would be acceptable. But you are a random stranger, which means it comes off very poorly.

3) As a teacher, you should know that negative reinforcement is generally a very poor teaching tool except in very specific cases.

4) You also decided to hold up the entire group to prove your point.

Overall, you were a jerk. You decided to hold up the entire party just to punish an individual who wasn't playing at your standards - in a leveling dungeon no less. I would have booted you too.
It wasn't a big deal, but for some reason I was irritated.

My guess is, he ignored mechanics, got himself killed, then demanded a rez. Frankly I'd have refused the little sh!t too.

Doesn't mean it was the right way to handle the situation, but I can understand how it'd trigger a teaching moment to correct asocial behavior. Hell, I've seen players like him get kicked, and back when I used to run dungeons, releasing immediately and running back had been ingrained in my head because that's just what you did unless told not to (or when fighting a boss). Different time though, so a different perspective.

But ultimately, yeah, he's just a random stranger who behaves badly, and it might feel like caving in but your actions are unlikely to have any effect in a situation like this, so probably just rez and move on, then /ignore him.
You were just another player in that dungeon, not his teacher. You basically wasted the groups time by not just rezzing him. I have no doubt he could very well suck at the game, but in the end it doesn't really matter. That dungeon is there to level you now, and that's it. I think you should maybe just leave the teaching attitude for when you're in your classroom. Explaining fights is fine, but acting like you're someone's superior in a game does not go over well.
When one of my students makes a mistake during practice, I make him or her run a lap.

That just wastes time that could be used more productively. Like making someone walk back because you feel they need to be chastised.
dude was probably drunk/high and u ruined his posi-vibes enjoy da boot
I wouldn't have rezzed him, but I wouldn't have pretended to hand down judgment from some pedestal onto him either.

Like other people already said, you're on the same level as him as far as this game is concerned, not above him. Treat people like equals and not like they are of inferior status or rank.
Seriously, if I were tanking, I'd have rezzed him and, if possible, open kick on you. No one is above making mistakes, not even you. If they weren't being abusive or making the run impossible, then it's not up to you to teach them a lesson. And if they were, you don't passive-aggressively "teach them", you kick them.
08/15/2015 10:24 AMPosted by Kîdboogie

Kîdboogie
74 Undead Mage
KiLLsHoT
Stereotypical tryhard pvper lmfao, from tich no less

Anyway OP you should have just kicked him for being bad.
08/15/2015 01:07 PMPosted by Micheerio
08/15/2015 10:24 AMPosted by Kîdboogie

Kîdboogie
74 Undead Mage
KiLLsHoT
Stereotypical tryhard pvper lmfao, from tich no less

Anyway OP you should have just kicked him for being bad.

Typical liberal high school authority power tripper sympathizer
No OP, you were playing the game as intended. The devs' design philosophy for the game is "you are bad and you should feel bad", so if you heap calumny on an underperformer you are doing the job they want you to do.
You were, and you probably are a terrible teacher as well.
08/15/2015 05:16 PMPosted by Begrooved

Doubtful, kids who grow up in overly lax environments become typically slackers and underperformers because nothing's pushing them.
08/15/2015 06:03 PMPosted by Micheerio
08/15/2015 05:16 PMPosted by Begrooved

Doubtful, kids who grow up in overly lax environments become typically slackers and underperformers because nothing's pushing them.

Precisely. I was a very smart kid, but never applied myself. It wasn't until a few teachers in high school stopped giving me a pass that I started to shape up. I feel most kids are the same as I was. I wasn't mean to the guy, or anything. I didn't call him names or say he was bad. I just said if we're going to type out the mechanics and you don't bother to listen, I'm going to have you run a lap back to us instead of getting a rez.
Man, coach gave us detention for falling behind him during practice on laps.
tbh its kinda of your fault expecting people who are leveling to pay attention to mechanics just pick up the extra slack for the people who don't try or go level through cata zones. Still better than the wrath grind, my god.
it's all messed up these days anyways, he would have been to harsh anyways. Likely got all uppity and wanted revenge, hence the kick. If these loot drooling savages don't get on with their plan asap, then its all downhill.....this rush mentality sure makes for a hallow experience. To many people out there think everyone operates exactly like them, then disappointment ensues from them.
I'm a high school teacher and a volleyball/football coach. When one of my students makes a mistake during practice, I make him or her run a lap. I applied the same principle here.

Believe it or not your actually in a position of authority as a teacher. So students will do what you say.

Dont make the mistake of thinking you have any authority in a pug.
08/16/2015 12:42 AMPosted by Hymedog
Believe it or not your actually in a position of authority as a teacher. So students will do what you say.

Dont make the mistake of thinking you have any authority in a pug.

Yeap. Mister teacher taught them a lesson about how much of a jerk he is. Specially for the other 3 members who had their run needlessly slowed down because someone wanted to play authority.