We need more women in this game

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 11 Next
08/22/2015 05:20 PMPosted by Anja
More importantly, incorporating feminism into a video game is something I disagree with almost entirely ; it just serves no real purpose other than to be divisive, at least in every manner that misguided people have attempted to employ it thus far, when we could instead be spending time thinking of ways to bring more players together.

Absolutely. As much as possible, video games shouldn't be used as a platform for any sort of social commentary, unless the game is designed around precisely that. It does not need to champion feminism any more than it needs to champion things like religion and politics.
I had enough females in my garrison taking care of garrison work. I see no need for more.
08/22/2015 05:32 PMPosted by Florence
Yes, yes very well read and thank you -- that fly on the wall who watched, and those snipers who were dangerous. You understand these things, know I couldn't stop the -1 bleeding there, I tried so hard. Even of you didn't care I did.

That, Pouncey, the flies and the snipers, is how it is for me existing in these circuits. The scary thing, for some at least, is that I love it and I will never let them take it away from me. Never.

If they can believe they are immortals who will survive the decay of their very own body, then this is what I will do.

The one thing to take away from this is that I am very, very serious, and I thank you for your response.

...What?

Did I time warp and we've been talking about something totally different for the past little while?

08/22/2015 05:28 PMPosted by Pouncey
No offense intended here, but... I'm really glad you're not in charge of WoW's story development.

None taken. You are a Draenei, after all.

...Would you prefer I post on a human character?
08/22/2015 05:34 PMPosted by Woopee
08/22/2015 02:52 PMPosted by Pouncey
I liked Yrel, apart from her lack of executing Grommash Hellscream at the end.

She doesn't even say a word to the man who attempted a genocide of her entire race. So ridiculous.

Had he even explained what had happened that made him do it in the first place and later realize he'd been tricked?

Because Garrosh sure didn't get a chance to.
08/22/2015 05:20 PMPosted by Anja
More importantly, incorporating feminism into a video game is something I disagree with almost entirely ; it just serves no real purpose other than to be divisive, at least in every manner that misguided people have attempted to employ it thus far, when we could instead be spending time thinking of ways to bring more players together.

It's seriously as simple as injecting a few female characters that actually do things into the main cast. Currently you more or less have Jaina and Sylvanas. Yrel was a pretty decent example in WoD, but she's effectively gone. Just about every other character that gets focused on for any length of time or does anything of note is male. I really have to question people who treat feminism like a bad thing.

08/22/2015 05:34 PMPosted by Gaahr
video games shouldn't be used as a platform for any sort of social commentary,

Media basically can't help but be a platform for social commentary.
08/22/2015 02:49 PMPosted by Inja
We need more strong independent women in this game that actually think for themselves!

For example, Tyrande. She was awesome in WC3 but now Malfurion takes the spotlight and says stuff like "Hush, Tyrande."

The only female character that actually is important and gets stuff done is Sylvanas, but she's insane!

Way to promote stereotypes Blizzard.

nice satire m8

Cause Blizzard thinks no matter what crimes the orcs did must be forgiven immediately, Yrel was doomed worthlessly.

And if they do the same to "Draenei critters" in the Warcraft movie, the movie will be doomed too.
08/22/2015 05:42 PMPosted by Ieathordies

Cause Blizzard thinks no matter what crimes the orcs did must be forgiven immediately, Yrel was doomed worthlessly.

And if they do the same to "Draenei critters" in the Warcraft movie, the movie will be doomed too.

If the leaked footage I saw is any indication, I'm not going to have a fun time with the Warcraft movie.

It's seriously as simple as injecting a few female characters that actually do things into the main cast. Currently you more or less have Jaina and Sylvanas. Yrel was a pretty decent example in WoD, but she's effectively gone. Just about every other character that gets focused on for any length of time or does anything of note is male. I really have to question people who treat feminism like a bad thing.

I do not at all see it as a bad thing, just that it is typically poorly handled in this context.
It is a wonderful thing in everyday life, where it serves a greater purpose.

Would I love to see more excellent female characters in the game ? Absolutely. The chances of that happening, however, do not seem high. Maybe I simply have a less hopeful perspective ; I would certainly enjoy being shown wrong by Blizzard.
Likewise, I would not be bothered if Blizzard chose not to make anymore weak attempts at placating us with more poorly-written women who are supposed to be "interesting" characters.
...What?

Did I time warp and we've been talking about something totally different for the past little while?

I wrote:

Yes, yes very well read and thank you -- that fly on the wall who watched, and those snipers who were dangerous. You understand these things, know I couldn't stop the -1 bleeding there, I tried so hard. Even of you didn't care I did.

That, Pouncey, the flies and the snipers, is how it is for me existing in these circuits. The scary thing, for some at least, is that I love it and I will never let them take it away from me. Never.

If they can believe they are immortals who will survive the decay of their very own body, then this is what I will do.

The one thing to take away from this is that I am very, very serious, and I thank you for your response.

((You have the public answer, and the one you know in your heart. The latter is all that's important here.

08/22/2015 05:37 PMPosted by Pouncey
...Would you prefer I post on a human character?

Doesn't really matter, they speak for a Draenei.
08/22/2015 05:46 PMPosted by Florence
((You have the public answer, and the one you know in your heart. The latter is all that's important here.

The only thing I think I can take away from what you said is that you're calling me crazy and dismissing me based on my mental illness.
08/22/2015 05:50 PMPosted by Pouncey

The only thing I think I can take away from what you said is that you're calling me crazy and dismissing me based on my mental illness.

Stop the appeal to oppression, you only fool dullards.

You're half right.

you're calling me crazy

Yes

dismissing me based on my mental illness.

The opposite is true. I accept you for it. Read:

And on:

They can make *you* feel bad for it, and that's so sad. You run from it. I embrace it.You dismiss yourself when you call it illness.
I love it when people are so convinced that they're right that they dismiss everyone else, so adorable.

And this game would be really ,really dull if it only had three playable races.
08/22/2015 05:57 PMPosted by Kurisuto
I love it when people are so convinced that they're right that they dismiss everyone else, so adorable.

And this game would be really ,really dull if it only had three playable races.

CUDDLEFOX! : D

:: pounce! ::

:: hugs ::

:: licks his face all over, except the eyes because she knows he doesn't like being licked on his eyeballs :: ^_^
08/22/2015 05:44 PMPosted by Pouncey
<span class="truncated">...</span>

If the leaked footage I saw is any indication, I'm not going to have a fun time with the Warcraft movie.

Same here, unless they can describe how evil the hordies are after it happens.

But it seems somehow like they are justifying for the orcs' crimes, if so, if they had gone too far, that will be really disgusting to most audience except a few idiotic horde fanboys.

But it seems somehow like they are justifying for the orcs' crimes, if so, if they had gone too far, that will be really disgusting to most audience except a few idiotic horde fanboys.

I suppose we'll know more as more is revealed.
08/22/2015 05:57 PMPosted by Kurisuto

Me too. I really, really love it. It is extremely fun to do. I am right. Me. I am right and all of you are wrong.

It's very empowering.

BTW, glad you find me adorable /twirl
08/22/2015 05:57 PMPosted by Florence

Stop the appeal to oppression, you only fool dullards.

You're half right.

you're calling me crazy

Yes

dismissing me based on my mental illness.

The opposite is true. I accept you for it. Read:

And on:

They can make *you* feel bad for it, and that's so sad. You run from it. I embrace it.You dismiss yourself when you call it illness.

Uhh... I don't feel bad about or ashamed of the schizophrenia. But I'm definitely glad I got it treated.

However, I've been up for over 36 hours now, so my comprehension of allusion and metaphor is spotty at best.
08/22/2015 05:45 PMPosted by Anja
I do not at all see it as a bad thing, just that it is typically poorly handled in this context.
It is a wonderful thing in everyday life, where it serves a greater purpose.

Would I love to see more excellent female characters in the game ? Absolutely. The chances of that happening, however, do not seem high. Maybe I simply have a less hopeful perspective ; I would certainly enjoy being shown wrong by Blizzard.
Likewise, I would not be bothered if Blizzard chose not to make anymore weak attempts at placating us with more poorly-written women who are supposed to be "interesting" characters.

OK, my bad then. I am very used to people who talk with any reservation regarding feminism in any context basically being entirely against it.

I really don't know how people manage to screw up writing female characters in a fantasy setting like WoW's though. It's seriously just as easy as write the character the same way you would a male character.

Also, since I mentioned Jaina, I really hate how they handled her post-Theramore's destruction. Getting upset and wanting to annihilate Orgrimmar is one thing, but she's way too intelligent, idealistic, and levelheaded to hate the entire Horde years later. She and Varian have essentially swapped places, with her going from the person who said, "I'm just proud of my king," when Varian showed even the slightest shred of compassion for a member of the Horde to being given the cold shoulder by Varian because she has pretty much been turned into a zealot.

08/22/2015 06:01 PMPosted by Kurisuto

I suppose we'll know more as more is revealed.

The main part I've figured out is that hearing the death screams of a thousand Draenei civilians who are having the souls torn out of their bodies (I guess that was more family friendly than having Gul'dan personally slit the throat of a young Draenei child) makes me really, REALLY unsympathetic to any plight the Orcs might ever be going through.