We need more women in this game

General Discussion
Prev 1 6 7 8 11 Next
08/22/2015 02:59 PMPosted by Inja
There are some pretty cool minor characters, but almost no major female characters right now that actually do stuff.
You must be new here. *Looks at achievement points* yuuuppp. Take heart you angry little Gnome, Lady Sylvanas is comin' round in Legion to make things aaaalll better. Here you may wanna read up on her before the ex-pac, she's done one or two important things...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sylvanas_Windrunner
08/22/2015 06:04 PMPosted by Pouncey
Uhh... I don't feel bad about or ashamed of the schizophrenia. But I'm definitely glad I got it treated.

However, I've been up for over 36 hours now, so my comprehension of allusion and metaphor is spotty at best.

You got me beat by ~10 :-(
I shall some up my thoughts on this matter in the time honored Simpsons tradition. MEH.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Same here, unless they can describe how evil the hordies are after it happens.

But it seems somehow like they are justifying for the orcs' crimes, if so, if they had gone too far, that will be really disgusting to most audience except a few idiotic horde fanboys.

I suppose we'll know more as more is revealed.

Their weird and disgusting justification of Grommash had already gone too far in game, and Blizzard "thought" it was ok, Yrel was sacrificed for the lousy justification of the orcs, it's completely unworthy.

If their justification of the orcs in the movie is equal to it, no doubt the movie will be destroyed too.

Grommash at least should do something for the Draenei due to his crimes.
As to the topic at hand, well, I dunno, it's like the answer to more LGBT type characters, don't just put them in to have them in, make a character that is awesome and happens to have those qualities.
08/22/2015 06:09 PMPosted by Kurisuto
As to the topic at hand, well, I dunno, it's like the answer to more LGBT type characters, don't just put them in to have them in, make a character that is awesome and happens to have those qualities.

:: nodnod and hugs more ::
08/22/2015 05:40 PMPosted by Nixx
Media basically can't help but be a platform for social commentary.

To an extent, yeah. No need to deliberately push buttons, though, if it can be helped.
Hi.
08/22/2015 06:12 PMPosted by Gaahr
08/22/2015 05:40 PMPosted by Nixx
Media basically can't help but be a platform for social commentary.

To an extent, yeah. No need to deliberately push buttons, though, if it can be helped.

Sadly in cases it simply can't be helped, at all, as some will draw their own connections, even when there actually aren't any connections to be made.
08/22/2015 06:13 PMPosted by Kurisuto
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Sadly in cases it simply can't be helped, at all, as some will draw their own connections, even when there actually aren't any connections to be made.

...Master doesn't come on the WoW forums often, does he?

That's pretty much all we do here.
08/22/2015 06:12 PMPosted by Gaahr

I guess I wouldn't consider including more female characters or generally trying to write them as more complete people to be pushing buttons.
08/22/2015 06:04 PMPosted by Nixx

OK, my bad then. I am very used to people who talk with any reservation regarding feminism in any context basically being entirely against it.

I think, unfortunately, that is because most people have been exposed to a very poor representation of it which consists of some or all of the stereotypical "femi-n_zi" rubbish.
This is the primary reason I dislike it even being brought up to certain demographics in certain media formats because, frankly, the target audience just does not care to see beyond that stereotype after a point.

It is a double-edged sort of problem. The people in the position to make meaningful changes in the game have a poor idea of what we would like to see and attempt to placate us with ineffectual gestures.
Meanwhile, we can barely make any sort of constructive response without it being shot down by that jaded subset which instantly disregards any sort of feedback as "lol tumblr sjw femin_zi" ranting.

I really don't know how people manage to screw up writing female characters in a fantasy setting like WoW's though. It's seriously just as easy as write the character the same way you would a male character.

Because, I believe, they still think that people want to see female characters written as being totally different from male characters.
In reality, I would just like a couple of characters that were solidly written with an interesting story and a prominent place in the game.
It would be absolutely a simple task to modify an existing female character in WoW to have a prominent, significant place in the game's story. It just does not really seem like the writers have any actual idea how to do that without stepping on someone's toes or something.

Also, since I mentioned Jaina, I really hate how they handled her post-Theramore's destruction. Getting upset and wanting to annihilate Orgrimmar is one thing, but she's way too intelligent, idealistic, and levelheaded to hate the entire Horde years later. She and Varian have essentially swapped places, with her going from the person who said, "I'm just proud of my king," when Varian showed even the slightest shred of compassion for a member of the Horde to being given the cold shoulder by Varian because she has pretty much been turned into a zealot.

Which, again, just points to the bizarre mannerisms of the writers at Blizzard and how they seemingly feel that in order to write a compelling female character, that character has to be treated differently for expressing traits stereotypical of the male characters.
08/22/2015 06:11 PMPosted by Pouncey

Happy your support arrived, love. Really enjoyed our convo!

Well, yeah.

You "dunno" so I'll shed some light on it. They are not just going to put some character in the game with the story "This guy is gay" and leave it at that. Of course, they are gonna try and make the character awesome. Whether we believe that character is awesome or not is of course another thing. What you say is a given.
08/22/2015 03:02 PMPosted by Adelphie
People just complain endlessly about any female character Blizzard tries to develop.

People complain because the few females that were any good have REALLY stupid things done to their characters.

1: They put Tyrande in HEELS. They put *THE warrior priestess, who spent all of the last war armored, on tiger back, in HEELS.
2: They made Maiev go overboard with the whole pursuit of justice thing.
3: They took the MOST reasonable Alliance leader, Jaina Proudmore, and turned her into a borderline homicidal maniac.
4: Vereesa Windrunner is so heavily regulated to a subordinate position, she can do nothing but whine after the death of her husband.
5: They made Yrel incapable of doing ANYTHING on her own from the very start.

I'm sure there are lots more examples too.
08/22/2015 06:11 PMPosted by Pouncey

Happy your support arrived, love. Really enjoyed our convo!

:: growls at :: Him is MY fox. Not yours! Hands OFF!

Well, yeah.

You "dunno" so I'll shed some light on it. They are not just going to put some character in the game with the story "This guy is gay" and leave it at that. Of course, they are gonna try and make the character awesome. Whether we believe that character is awesome or not is of course another thing. What you say is a given.

Like Jenny Awesome?
08/22/2015 06:07 PMPosted by Gorrek
08/22/2015 02:59 PMPosted by Inja
There are some pretty cool minor characters, but almost no major female characters right now that actually do stuff.
You must be new here. *Looks at achievement points* yuuuppp. Take heart you angry little Gnome, Lady Sylvanas is comin' round in Legion to make things aaaalll better. Here you may wanna read up on her before the ex-pac, she's done one or two important things...

lol

I have two accounts, and this is an account where I just post on the forums.

I love how you talk so condescendingly as if you think I'll actually be intimidated by it lmao
08/22/2015 06:20 PMPosted by Vailnite
08/22/2015 03:02 PMPosted by Adelphie
People just complain endlessly about any female character Blizzard tries to develop.

People complain because the few females that were any good have REALLY stupid things done to their characters.

1: They put Tyrande in HEELS. They put *THE warrior priestess, who spent all of the last war armored, on tiger back, in HEELS.
2: They made Maiev go overboard with the whole pursuit of justice thing.
3: They took the MOST reasonable Alliance leader, Jaina Proudmore, and turned her into a borderline homicidal maniac.
4: Vereesa Windrunner is so heavily regulated to a subordinate position, she can do nothing but whine after the death of her husband.
5: They made Yrel incapable of doing ANYTHING on her own from the very start.

I'm sure there are lots more examples too.

I think 5 is because this is an MMORPG, which necessitates the player having to do the bulk of the work (or else the game would be way too easy if Yrel did everything during her quests).
08/22/2015 06:20 PMPosted by Vailnite
They put Tyrande in HEELS. They put *THE warrior priestess, who spent all of the last war armored, on tiger back, in HEELS.

I don't really care about the heels, to be honest. Plenty of heroines have worn heels, and it's not like guys aren't overdone either.

They took the MOST reasonable Alliance leader, Jaina Proudmore, and turned her into a borderline homicidal maniac.

Hardly, they made her a good character. She was too much a pacifist, too much an apologist, and too much of a whiny baby before. Once she stood up to the Horde it was amazing. She wasn't homicidal nor a maniac at all, barring the one time she was emotionally a wreck and unstable from her loss and grief, but even then she didn't go through with drowning Orgrimmar.

The problem with Warcraft isn't a lack of female characters, it's a lack of good characters and a lack of relevance spread out over the characters rather than given to Varian or Thrall.
<span class="truncated">...</span> You must be new here. *Looks at achievement points* yuuuppp. Take heart you angry little Gnome, Lady Sylvanas is comin' round in Legion to make things aaaalll better. Here you may wanna read up on her before the ex-pac, she's done one or two important things...

lol

I have two accounts, and this is an account where I just post on the forums.

I love how you talk so condescendingly as if you think I'll actually be intimidated by it lmao

Unless they're separate Battle.net accounts, they'll share achievement points. Unless of course you set a particular character to display only their own achievements.

However, achievement points are kinda useless. I have 18,000 of them and I'm still a terrible keyboard-turning clicker who hasn't done anything harder than LFR since WotLK.

But for anyone (not you, just anyone) who wants to learn more about WoW's lore, Nobbel87 on YouTube has some really great lore videos. Just, ah, don't use the English closed captioning, it really, really hates his accent. Although it is quite funny to see what the CC turns the lore terms into, like when you read about terrible autocorrect stories.
I'm not sure if OP is trolling or not, but what ever the case is...

Tossing in a character for the sole sake of tossing them in for X reason is a recipe for a bad character.

Let's look at Guild Wars 2 for example.

They go as far as to add transgendered characters in. I have no problem with that, but the execution of it is really, really random.

You'll be questing along and some NPC just randomly indirectly mentions they're transgendered. Doesn't have anything to do with the story or the task at hand - just randomly blurts out that they're transgendered.

When there's a character who can have some awesome potential for a story then by all means toss them in.

But if its just "lets add in a bland female character for the sole sake of putting in a female", that's when you start getting some issues.