Blizz may not call WoD a "filler"

General Discussion
But I for one feel that all WoD existed for was to be a bridge between Garrosh and seeing Illidan again. It has been a very flimsy bridge, though.

I feel like almost all the characters in WoD will never again matter. I suspect Grommash will, for some reason. Why else would he be alive and not decapitated? I hope it wasn't all for the sake of bad writing. He also said something about "when I next face your Legion" during HFC. Gul'dan will, of course. Not to mention, who else was a better candidate to free Illidan than an orc warlock who stops at nothing to increase his power? Not to mention, the very same warlock whose power Illidan once absorbed. Of course, we had to go to an alternate universe to find another Gul'dan. This would explain the random Garrosh escape into the alternate universe.

Khadgar will matter, but he's been in the game for awhile already. He's probably the Guardian (I shouldn't even say probably, considering he has Atiesh), which we would need for a Legion invasion. WoD gave a lot of players an introduction to Khadgar, in addition to giving him some purpose in current lore. Perfect setup for him to be a big deal in Legion, as well.

Other than that, it seems like Draenor may as well never have happened. That is, except to lead us to getting Illidan back and fighting the Legion.

Anyways, Blizzard may not think it was a filler but it seemed like a way for them to buy time while giving some strange explanation that leads to us fighting alongside Illidan.
I was so disappointed that the final cinematic didn't result in Grom getting his head lopped off. Now we're going to be stuck with some long-winded redemption featurette for a mass-murdering slave driver from an alternate universe that doesn't even matter.
09/08/2015 09:10 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
I was so disappointed that the final cinematic didn't result in Grom getting his head lopped off. Now we're going to be stuck with some long-winded redemption featurette for a mass-murdering slave driver from an alternate universe that doesn't even matter.

I agree. He'll probably die in some heroic fashion while fighting the Legion as an attempt to "redeem" himself. No tears will be shed that day...
Whatever it might be no company is going to call a full priced product "a filler" just the same as outright calling it a failure. This is just company 101 stuff. They will say in interviews how features, concepts, etc...were not as great as they intended and all that kind of stuff but never full admittance to anything.

Now as far as I believe, I don't think they intended on it actually being this lacking. I know they desire to move the expansions faster but the content was poor in this one. I believe they realized that the core concept of WoD revolved around the garrisons and that due to how unhappy that made people it was best to just let it end.
09/08/2015 09:16 PMPosted by Sevaira
Whatever it might be no company is going to call a full priced product "a filler" just the same as outright calling it a failure. This is just company 101 stuff. They will say in interviews how features, concepts, etc...were not as great as they intended and all that kind of stuff but never full admittance to anything.

Now as far as I believe, I don't think they intended on it actually being this lacking. I know they desire to move the expansions faster but the content was poor in this one. I believe they realized that the core concept of WoD revolved around the garrisons and that due to how unhappy that made people it was best to just let it end.

Very true. No smart company would talk down their own product, at least not on purpose. There's no denying that.

It's really hard to tell what actually happened with WoD's production. From the outside, it looks like there were a lot of internal issues within the company. A lot of decisions that got reversed, and a lot of last minute changes of mind. I still think that even with a little more content and another zone the expansion would have appeared as a small bridge between MoP and Illidan/Legion. None of the other expansions have felt this way to me at all.
The garrison concept was a good one, just badly implimented. After that failure which the expansion was built around I can't really blame them for just moving on to the next xpac.
09/08/2015 09:15 PMPosted by Astute

I agree. He'll probably die in some heroic fashion while fighting the Legion as an attempt to "redeem" himself. No tears will be shed that day...

And I will stare at the Wrathguard who defeated him, and after a long moment I will say to him, "You stole my kill..." And promptly dice up said demon-Eredar.

However, I don't think Grom will be coming with us to the main universe yet. He, like the Draenei, will be too busy rebuilding their world.
Grommash Hellscream was my favorite character from the original WoW lore. He was our alternative to Thrall. I don't think we will see him die, I think Thrall is going to final bite the dust and Grom will replace him as top Orc. He is the Warchief we always wanted. WoD was filler but its one redemption imo is that we get Grom instead of green jesus to be the focal point of the orc story.
09/08/2015 09:24 PMPosted by Astute
It's really hard to tell what actually happened with WoD's production. From the outside, it looks like there were a lot of internal issues within the company. A lot of decisions that got reversed, and a lot of last minute changes of mind. I still think that even with a little more content and another zone the expansion would have appeared as a small bridge between MoP and Illidan/Legion. None of the other expansions have felt this way to me at all.

Yeah, I also think there were a lot of internal confusion amongst the internal problems, it always seemed as though no one was on the same page.

Here is hoping for legion to be awesome though.
09/08/2015 09:07 PMPosted by Astute
I feel like almost all the characters in WoD will never again matter.

That's what happens when you introduce an alternate universe into your game that players go to and interact with.
Doubt we'll lose Thrall. Grom will likely die in the intro/pre-launch and all/most of WoD will stay behind. Just my thoughts
09/08/2015 09:30 PMPosted by Sevaira
Yeah, I also think there were a lot of internal confusion amongst the internal problems, it always seemed as though no one was on the same page.

Here is hoping for legion to be awesome though.

At this point I need more to go on than hope. I was hoping back when Cata was announced. It's been a long, long time since my hope-well ran dry.
They've never referred to any of their expansions as "filler".

Nor would they, as that would be bad business practice.

But filler is filler. No one in any official capacity need label it as such for it to be what it is.
It probably didn't turn out how they imagined.

WoD was probably supposed to evoke the nostalgia of seeing the familiar figures and lands of Outlands in a new savage setting.

Did they put too much time into making things like the Garrison systems? It really is a pretty bit of software design.

Draenor also really has a lot of nice craftwork put into it. The landscape is gorgeous, there are a variety of mobs with a variety of looks and abilities, hidden treasures, treasure maps, bonus objectives, silly achievements, scripted events, cinematic moments, and some stories told in quest form.

To be blunt, it's practically impossible to guess what will make players happy two years down the road. They probably felt WoD was a good expansion because it allowed players to make most of their own choices.

I dunno. Would a new island in WoD make a big difference? Would it be better if the crafting recipes were discovered as drops instead of bought on a vendor? Would it be better if the <Work Orders> were fed into a Goblin Auto-Skinner? Would it be better if the Garrison Workers needed to be paid and fed? Would it be better if they had given us 2 new dungeons instead of Timewalking?
the entire point of going into warlords of dreanor was to stop the iron horde from entering our azeroth

grom didn't want to win using fel magic

he basically was like, ok i get we want to be rad and kill everyone but do we really have to drink this blood Guldie?

ya

no

ya

all the cool kids are doing it

no

fine torture for you

I'll bet my next royalties check that Grom will be fighting the legion invasion right next to Thrall, Thrall will be overwhelmed and drop his weapon. Grom will carry Thrall away and save his life, meanwhile Shaman will be tasked with getting the hammer back and wielding it because Thrall will be wounded and need time to heal. At the end of the story, Thrall will retire.

And we'll never get to kill him. :(
09/08/2015 09:35 PMPosted by Scuzz
At this point I need more to go on than hope. I was hoping back when Cata was announced. It's been a long, long time since my hope-well ran dry.

Different perspectives I guess, I didn't mind cata or MoP and actually thought MoP was pretty damn good for an expansion, definitely the Chinese theme was a nice vacation from the same stuff. As far as WoD I don't dislike it nearly as much as everyone likes to say they do on here, if I hated it that much I still wouldn't be playing it.
09/08/2015 09:51 PMPosted by Muddybuddy
WoD was probably supposed to evoke the nostalgia of seeing the familiar figures and lands of Outlands in a new savage setting.

nostalgia is a dangerous tool. For every person who brought into the #SAVAGE experience there was another who wondered why we're back killing worthless versions of the same orcs we killed in BC. You cannot predict how your playerbase will fall and when nostalgia is concerned you often get these radical divides
09/08/2015 11:26 PMPosted by Zeryani
09/08/2015 09:51 PMPosted by Muddybuddy

nostalgia is a dangerous tool. For every person who brought into the #SAVAGE experience there was another who wondered why we're back killing worthless versions of the same orcs we killed in BC. You cannot predict how your playerbase will fall and when nostalgia is concerned you often get these radical divides

It was a bad choice considering we were stuck in SoO for how long and Cataclysm forced Thrall down our throats.

How are orcs nostalgic when they've been shoved down our throat with almost every other race ignored?
Panda land was a much worse filler IMHO. At least draenei and orcs were pretty much part of the lore, not crash on random island now randomly pandas monks and some guy that won't shut up and let you fight in dungeons.