The legendary ring was a fail design...

General Discussion
No matter what you do[in groups], there's always an idiot who procs your ring for their selfish desires. World boss Kazzak, LFR(for the gold since it's short), non-Draenor raids, normal/heroic/mythic Draenor raids, guild runs, so on. Every class has a particular set of skills to increase your damage output combined with ring. For me it's Focus fire x5 + Beastial Wrath but it's impossible with idiots who proc it 24/7. At this point I'm just considering making a 695 Tanaan ring for group activities to give those players 1 less proc to get damage from since it seems my 3rd proc on it(the explosion after 15 seconds) doesn't work for anyone but the person who originally proc'd the ring. I can't wait for Legion at this rate when this ring becomes worthless.

The only problem with it is the shared proc/cooldown and it needs to be removed. Thoughts?
"When this effect ends, each empowered player unleashes a blast of light that strikes all enemies within 20 yards of the initiating player's location, inflicting damage equal to (2500 / 100)% of all damage they dealt while empowered. (2 min shared cooldown)"

So yes, the initiating player needs to stand at the correct location for the blast to work. But, the legendary rings are balanced around guilds/any group with coordination.
Eh I have hated the last two legendary items, not for what they do but more for the reason that I think they should be class specific. I think the best legendary item was the one from the firelands just because of the quest line. I am also fine with them just having a very low drop rate from the final boss of a raid like Illidan of Kil'Jaeden.
09/13/2015 03:45 PMPosted by Kumorihanta
No matter what you do[in groups], there's always an idiot who procs your ring for their selfish desires. World boss Kazzak, LFR(for the gold since it's short), non-Draenor raids, normal/heroic/mythic Draenor raids, guild runs, so on. Every class has a particular set of skills to increase your damage output combined with ring. For me it's Focus fire x5 + Beastial Wrath but it's impossible with idiots who proc it 24/7. At this point I'm just considering making a 695 Tanaan ring for group activities to give those players 1 less proc to get damage from since it seems my 3rd proc on it(the explosion after 15 seconds) doesn't work for anyone but the person who originally proc'd the ring. I can't wait for Legion at this rate when this ring becomes worthless.

The only problem with it is the shared proc/cooldown and it needs to be removed. Thoughts?

I agree. The legendary ring questline took everything that the legendary cloak questline did well in MoP, took a large steaming dump on it, and lit it on fire. The ring is lame, the quests are lame and grindy, the story sucks... Hey, sounds just like WoD! I see a pattern here!
Upon learning what the actual proc does, I was wondering if it was even worth it to continue. Then when 6.2 hit and we were given the shipyard and it's little gate for the ring that I'd never ever be able to use to its full potential? Yeah, I gave up.

I'm not in a raiding group. I hate LFR and simply can't stand to set foot in it anymore. Thus, getting a legendary ring that procs as a group from other ring bearers seemed like a complete waste of time.
The legendary ring is perfectly fine. I have never had an issue with people popping the ring early, because if they constantly do so, they get kicked/benched.

Whilst poor design, the blast effect of the DPS legendary ring is (mostly) beneficial provided it was a melee who triggered it, due to the "within 20 yards of the initiating player's location" part.

Unfortunately, the number of times I've seen ranged use it, and then stay bolted 40 yards away from anything. Sad.

It needs to be changed to a ranged attack that "strikes all enemies within 20 yards of your current target". Problem (mostly) solved.
It's fine if you agree on a Melee to use it ahead of time.
09/13/2015 04:02 PMPosted by Moosafa

I agree. The legendary ring questline took everything that the legendary cloak questline did well in MoP, took a large steaming dump on it, and lit it on fire. The ring is lame, the quests are lame and grindy, the story sucks... Hey, sounds just like WoD! I see a pattern here!

Remind me how grinding Black Prince rep or random drops from raids isn't grindy? Also, for people who don't PvP, there are PvP stuff in that quest chain.
09/13/2015 04:03 PMPosted by Deydrania
Upon learning what the actual proc does, I was wondering if it was even worth it to continue. Then when 6.2 hit and we were given the shipyard and it's little gate for the ring that I'd never ever be able to use to its full potential? Yeah, I gave up.

I'm not in a raiding group. I hate LFR and simply can't stand to set foot in it anymore. Thus, getting a legendary ring that procs as a group from other ring bearers seemed like a complete waste of time.

You still get the 25% extra damage and the explosion for yourself even when solo. But yeah, if you don't raid at all, there is no point.

As for the original complaint, overall you want to use the ring on cooldown right as the fight starts and every 2 minutes after. It results in overall more DPS, as waiting until your RNG gets you 5 stacks is just wasted time people could be getting 25% more damage when their cooldowns are up. BM is pretty terrible anyway. You complain about people using it for their own selfish desires, yet that is exactly what you are wishing you could do.
Yeah I think it's crap imo. They water down classes beyond belief then throw in the ring proc like it's some crazy CD you need to think more than a second about to manage it well.

Questline is extremely boring on alts because of how faceroll and uninteresting LFR is. Also can't really finish it unless you do Normal or higher, which I think is a little dumb to cut people off right at the end.
09/13/2015 04:02 PMPosted by Moosafa

Most initial content from the start of wod was pretty good, legendary start as well. But the quest itself gotten very stale and the ring felt very irrelevant towards the story progression.

"lets make a ring to help you crush gul'dan, go kill some ogres and obtain some magical kidney stones."
"great you killed some ogres, now go kill blackhand and a different variety of magical kidney stones."
"grabs some books, yeah..."
"oh noes <spoilers>, oh yeah you should turn that ring into legendary, talk to yrel she probably could of done this months ago but... i forgot to mention it."
09/13/2015 04:06 PMPosted by Ellssa
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Remind me how grinding Black Prince rep or random drops from raids isn't grindy? Also, for people who don't PvP, there are PvP stuff in that quest chain.
The solo challenges were better than anything this expansions questline had to offer. The Thunder Forge was especially neat. Also you cant compare grinding black prince rep to the obnoxious tedium of elemental runes. Elemental runes are several levels worse than grinding black prince rep was.
09/13/2015 04:09 PMPosted by Yoloswagpope
Yeah I think it's crap imo. They water down classes beyond belief then throw in the ring proc like it's some crazy CD you need to think more than a second about to manage it well.

Questline is extremely boring on alts because of how faceroll and uninteresting LFR is. Also can't really finish it unless you do Normal or higher, which I think is a little dumb to cut people off right at the end.

Essentially it's the same thing as the "mythic only" upgrades to artifact in Legion. Top tier PVP'rs and mythic raiders will have the best form of Artifact weapons, as was this expansion with the 795 ring. On the bright side you could join a normal group near finishing the run and having some spots open.

09/13/2015 03:57 PMPosted by Flaeshia
Eh I have hated the last two legendary items, not for what they do but more for the reason that I think they should be class specific. I think the best legendary item was the one from the firelands just because of the quest line. I am also fine with them just having a very low drop rate from the final boss of a raid like Illidan of Kil'Jaeden.

Yeah I DESPISE versality completely. Specially on my warlock. Why do I need mastery/versality on Destruction warlock over haste or critical strike?

09/13/2015 04:06 PMPosted by Kroozmissile

Whilst poor design, the blast effect of the DPS legendary ring is (mostly) beneficial provided it was a melee who triggered it, due to the "within 20 yards of the initiating player's location" part.

Unfortunately, the number of times I've seen ranged use it, and then stay bolted 40 yards away from anything. Sad.

It needs to be changed to a ranged attack that "strikes all enemies within 20 yards of your current target". Problem (mostly) solved.

Yeah I was thinking they should instead make it for ranged players, on on-hit effect buff. "The next basic attack will deal 25% damage of all damage done in the last 15 seconds in an area around the target". That would fix it just fine.
The solo challenges were better than anything this expansions questline had to offer. The Thunder Forge was especially neat. Also you cant compare grinding black prince rep to the obnoxious tedium of elemental runes. Elemental runes are several levels worse than grinding black prince rep was.

"Several levels worse", you say? *looks at 5 legendary rings vs 0 cloak* My inventory disagrees with you. I agree that the solo challenges are challenges. Was fun laughing as my friend recount to me how he tore his hair out on the way to getting the cloak. Funny how he left that character outside WoD until recently. (He brought other characters in first)
Just chiming in that I am not a fan.

The ring is legendary in text only. It's more like a group trinket in my opinion. Or a raid cool down. It would be cool if it was a new form of bloodlust. That would make sense.

But as a ring you actually have to grind and get solo? The only reason to have it is honestly because everyone and their mom will demand it shortly. The game would be better without it.
I've never seen an issue with it in the organized runs I've done.

I agree with it being a poor design, though. It's bland and disappointing to spend the entire expansion working hard to get a "legendary" only to find that the "legendary" does nothing for you, the individual except provide you with orange text on your armory. Of course, it's great to help my groups down bosses in a more efficient manner. I just wish they didn't make the end reward so utterly useless for anything besides raiding.
From what I've seen so far people are far too conservative with the ring, often forgetting to use it entirely or using it maybe twice per fight. I think it's annoying that I need to hope someone else is paying attention or if they aren't run into melee range risking range-only mechanic fails to use it.
the real question is.... will the artifacts be better then legendaries? well mine is "will unholy dks actually get a sword or will i just deal with a crappy axe or mace?"
Lean to save your cooldowns so that they are up right on the rings cooldown.

It's funny to call them selfish when, if you popped the ring when you wanted to, chances are it would be a bad time for somebody else.