How do you guys do it?

General Discussion
Being from a medium population server, and seeing how Invincible's Reins on the BMAH for a whopping 955k, how do you guys make so much gold you reach gold cap?

I've been playing WoW for FIVE YEARS and could never get past 100k gold, yet a lot of players are so rich they have gold capped on ALL their toons. I don't know how I can manage to keep up with what the market demands at whatever time and place, and since professions have drastically reduced AH sales (except for those gear upgrade items), I really wish to know how you guys get so much gold!
09/08/2015 08:14 PMPosted by Shoadowolf
how do you guys make so much gold you reach gold cap?

I don't.

I'm a WoW hobo. On the other hand though I am one hell of a stud.

Have you seen my jawless face?
Playing the AH can make you a lot of gold.
Loot everything, auction stuff, don't buy stuff.
A surprisingly large number of them buy gold.

The rest spend hours each day:

- Obsessively scanning the AH looking to buy very low and sell very high/corner markets

- Have maxed out money making garrisons on 8-9 alts and do them all every day (this alone is good for an easy 20k a day with the right followers and buildings)

- Farming like crazy in search of Felblight, etc.

Just a few ways. There are many others.

#1 thing to remember: It takes money to make money. The more you have to invest, the more you'll earn.
RULE NUMBER ONE OF GETTING GOLD: Do not buy crafted stuff from the AH. Need a 30-slot bag? Use your tailoring alt. Need a new enchant? Use your enchanting alt. Need food for raids? If you can't craft it, you are bout to lose gold. The only thing I buy off the AH is crafting mats, and only if I really need it. With garrison dailies and 3 level 100 characters I don't really ever run out of mats for my crafting needs.
I prefer not to sit there and play the AH, and by that I mean buy and resell. Now if I happen to catch a crazy deal while I'm putting stuff up on the AH I will buy that item and sell it again, but I just can't sit there doing it all day for some reason.

-Heroic 25 Cata raids are ~8k gold a week per character. BoT, BWD, Firelands, Throne, Dragon Soul
-Level 3 garrison with level 3 inn missions (grab treasure hunting followers) and level 3 mine/herb garden generates a lot of money.
-Weekly Kazzak for felblight, whether you sell it straight up or craft upgrades it's good money
-Profession crafting is still profitable. Use primal spirits for savage blood and craft the upgrade stuff.
-If you have flying unlocked and a druid (ideal because of instant flight form), double gathering in Tanaan is amazing right now

More than anything, it all adds up, especially if you aren't spending it. I've made 300k in about 3 and a half weeks just being active with my garrison, having 5 level 100s (I have a 6th but his garrison still needs work), doing the raids and selling extra profession mats.
I am no longer capable of doing the herb and mining in my garrison. It feels like death just leaaaaaaaaaning down to pick one more flower.

The mats are worth very little now anyway so meh.
I briefly started to do the whole AH thing and downloaded a few addons. I then realized in about 30 minutes that this is a game, not a job and quickly gave that up.
I know a guildie who at the start of the expansion was very enthusiastic. He had like 9 level 100 alts doing the Barn.

That's what it takes, just a lot of time.
Before the garrison nerf you could have alts just accumulating gold, tons upon tons of gold. Before this expansion only a few people ever had a significant portion of gold. They would obtain this via professions, working the auction house, old dungeon farming and looting everything. So yes there has been an abrupt increase in the number of people with large sums of gold and it is because we all figured out the garrisons barn formula plus gold missions.
I could see garrisons being great potential for gold income across many alts, especially back when some of the stuff was selling for more. I only wish I had more garrison tolerance. I can't even consistently focus on two garrisons. I can't imagine the people that have 11.
Invincible's Reins on the BMAH for a whopping 955k

So what happens if somebody bids gold cap? Do they automatically win because nobody can bid higher?
09/08/2015 08:23 PMPosted by Ehione
Loot everything, auction stuff, don't buy stuff.

This doesn't help.

You want to get that much gold? You have to buy and sell on the Auction House. Only way to do it. 955k isn't something you achieve by saving your pennies.
09/08/2015 09:14 PMPosted by Lumexstraeza
I could see garrisons being great potential for gold income across many alts, especially back when some of the stuff was selling for more. I only wish I had more garrison tolerance. I can't even consistently focus on two garrisons. I can't imagine the people that have 11.

With an add on it takes about 2-3 minutes per alt so it's not so bad. Now if you focus on the mine and herb garden then yeah that's a problem. Focusing on professions would also give you more gold, but same can be said about older expansions when you used up your daily cooldown to make more gold.
I have reached gold cap, never bought gold, never did shady business, scammed, or cheated.

Warlords of Draenor has been by far, the easiest expansion to make gold, I started at about 250k at the start of the expac and have since reached the cap and am sending excess gold to my bank alt's personal guild bank.

The easiest, and most profitable, way to make gold is play the AH. You don't need to scan every item. It doesn't require immense amounts of excel spreadsheets or addons (though auctioneer helps.) Find items that move, these are trade goods, battle pets, flasks, potions, gems, things that players need and will always need, the higher the demand, the better. Just watch those items, for about a week or two so you can get a good idea of the price. And then when you see someone post significantly under the norm, buy it, and then sell for slightly above the norm. Of course, sometime you will lose out, but that's fairly rare if you have been paying attention to the prices. I haven't used The Undermine Journal in awhile but when I first started it was an excellent resource.

If playing the AH is something you really don't want to do, or you want to supplement it (which if you have the time/will you should always) the next best thing is to run old content. As a fresh level 100, you should be able to solo pretty much everything up to MoP content, and this includes 25H Cata raids. Running all the raids, selling battle pets earned from said raids, selling the cloth, selling the BoE purple/blues, and selling the sought-after transmog pieces, frequently earns you 30k a week. Think about that. You do it every weekend for a month, boom, 120k. 4 months later and you are almost halfway at the cap. No significant AH playing, no bidding wars, just grinding it out.

Now, granted, running all the old raids straight takes about 7-8 hours straight going full speed. So I would try to spread it over my week, an hour a day over the week, and finish up everything I didn't finish over the weekend.

Really, play the AH, it is essentially passive income and really only requires about a half hour a day to play, but if it is really something you don't want to do. Run old content. In addition to all the old raids, temple of the jade serpent both heroic and normal takes about 7 minutes for me to complete, and depending on drops gets me 100-400 gold.
They play the AH. If you like it go for it. You'll be rich in little time. You have to love clicking on menus and checking lists tho. I actually prefer to play the game so eventually I accepted I will never be as rich as the AH players and thats about it...
I don't know. The most gold I have on any single character is like 23k and that's because I got lucky with a drop. The character I've mained through WoD has about 18k. People say professions, but I can never stay interested in those long enough to farm/craft whatever sells well.
Get alts. More you play, more you make. It can be mind numbing at times to do the same task again and again on multiple toons (farming blood/grinding old raids/pet battles..) but it pays off as far as gold is concerned.
Being from a medium population server, and seeing how Invincible's Reins on the BMAH for a whopping 955k, how do you guys make so much gold you reach gold cap?

I've been playing WoW for FIVE YEARS and could never get past 100k gold, yet a lot of players are so rich they have gold capped on ALL their toons. I don't know how I can manage to keep up with what the market demands at whatever time and place, and since professions have drastically reduced AH sales (except for those gear upgrade items), I really wish to know how you guys get so much gold!

Never reached cap but 100k is easy. Just had that other day, down to 60ish atm cuz I bought a mount lol
I make money like this. Find a market that gets bought often like fish, meat, craft materials etc. Buy the bottom half of the market and raise the price. You spend no more than half your money doing this. Control bottom of market by buying anyone who undercuts you and reposting. If you have chosen the right product a crafter/raider/rbger will come along and buy all of it. Rinse and repeat with more expensive items. After you get a feel for prices on your AH buy anything that is "too cheap" and raise the price. Learned that from Economics 101 lol