Nightfall "sometimes" grants 2 shards

Warlock
Hedo just unveiled the groundbreaking logic (to me at least) that nightfall actually grant 1.25 shards instead of 1 so every 4th shard generation grants 2. This solves the mystery of why we gain 2 shards when we could never figure it out before.

THANKS FOR TELLING ME EARLIER HEDO. YOU DOODY HEAD. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO USE THIS WA. I STRICTLY FORBID IT.

Anyways, I (and by "I" I mean Strawberry) helped me out with a WA that translates shards into a raw number format that tracks your actual shards down to to the fraction. Remember how everyone likes to say Weakauras can do anything? WELL THEY'RE DAMN RIGHT IT CAN. FIND THE CODE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST.

Here's how it works: Import the aura into WA. You'll find it's just called Soul Shards Exact and the aura is just a number so drag it wherever it tickles your fancy.

1 shard = 100 points in this counter. If you are out of combat, and at 4 shards (400 points) and pop soulburn you will watch it drop to 300 and instantly start scaling up to 400. It takes 20 seconds to go from 1 to 100 because that's how long a shard regenerates. If you start combat at 335 points you actually have 3.35 shards and after three procs you'll get a second shard. Your number can get really crazy depending on how it all plays out with gaining/losing shards and dropping combat and gaining fractions of them back before reentering combat.

When you gain nightfall you gain 125 points in the counter because that's how much nightfall is worth. This means that whenever you're at X75-X99 you're going to get two shards back on next proc instead of 1. No more guessing when you get a 2nd shard.

This also means that you are/can actually waste a HUGE amount of a shard since you could be at 300-399 shards depending on how combat started. It shouldn't be a big deal in raid settings and such, but it's something to consider. Regardless, assuming you start combat at 4 shards this is extremely straightforward, but it also shows that even if you don't get a full 20 seconds to regenerate a preemptive soulburn before the pull that you're still getting some of that shard back which means you

The TL;DR of how this all works is that the WA grabs the raw data from API to give a 100% accurate shard number. It doesn't track nightfall, or anything. It just takes the raw data and puts it into a number format.

dOd9caGEvj6LQcAxefBtsMPQaZwPUne9nOQXjLStjv7vSBLSFWpjknmi8Bu5ysLHQkkdgz4qLdQkItPQWHHY5KsTqvvwQQinkvfTCi9qvP8ukltIEovDnQ0uv0KjY0jDrvHCvvr1ZKuUUcBuvvZsvsBMk2okY0qvFvvcFwQ67OOESeUSkJwvPXlfDjvH6wsHtt48OWkrP)suTivP60LzmKXKIjLzmhULAIxEPo(YynL1XXFA(JVKhF7wTl5ruwRw7w8XPbVBmjHh3gJX8AQXECrSIHx5qoVMAmNXQqfCRp)aybciGacybciGac90b6cONVe6Z4y(q)8DCBmgh67Vce(xbsrh3halqabeqabeqabSabeqaDljGfiGaciGfiGaciGfiGaciGfiGaciGfiGaciGfiGaciGfiGaciGfyJHE9cU1KbUlMEn1yILqLxWHe3(0tk17IHjjjub3cBlxrf99hQpZOXuurF)HMzmLbUlMxX0Hp2WFYX2mJXWROJl)Inwht3sJHnuUyht3sJ9g3ssOcULp2WFYhlHMFrJXSqs)M)UD8U47Qqu2QcbpFxvCAW7gBnqorf99hQp17I99e9F183frvLRlIkxE3A1QQvgNg8vXyiRJJ)08Vrf(2iCB52UcrvzRYs(40G3n2MdtkZyk2(wAMXqo2QiZOrJvSX8(mJ5fR(9f7fp5Ppq23Ey0yschhrXyRmYmgYXwfzgnAmuSIlZyihBvKz0OXg(tUh3vKFX84UImJ5fR(9L6DrJn8N8InM3NFXq52xMXqo2QiZOrJgtifZ4gBGSVyOsEGEutScnAmFSsz6KbHm4JXuQ3Xx2fnba
You're welcome.
Think I like the way yours works better, but here's one I found over at mmo-champ made by OOMM.

https://gist.github.com/OOMM/e2e31763b095da40f68a

I believe this one works by counting up to 3 every time Nightfall procs, and then it resets.
Now for more important questions:

WHY IN THE NAME OF FEL IS NIGHTFALL GIVING FREAKING 1.25 SHARDS INSTEAD OF 1??

This makes no sense at all

Thanks for sharing the info btw.
08/17/2015 07:25 PMPosted by Exorrt
Now for more important questions:

WHY IN THE NAME OF FEL IS NIGHTFALL GIVING FREAKING 1.25 SHARDS INSTEAD OF 1??

This makes no sense at all

Thanks for sharing the info btw.

I think, as Saoren mentioned in the Affliction guide, that it has to do with the empowered corruption perk. This never happened before it. It's probably a bug on Blizzard's part, and one they've never cared to fix.

08/17/2015 07:19 PMPosted by Saoren
Think I like the way yours works better, but here's one I found over at mmo-champ made by OOMM.

https://gist.github.com/OOMM/e2e31763b095da40f68a

I believe this one works by counting up to 3 every time Nightfall procs, and then it resets.

Oh, this is actually what Strawberry made the first go around because as I explained to him we were getting 1.25 so if we made a counter to track the procs you should be able good to go if you start at 4.

Then I had a realization that I didn't know how shards worked so I popped soulburn, waited 6-7 seconds, and then started combat. I realized the counter was now off. I went back to Strawberry and freaked out, and his reaction was just THIS MAKES IT SO MUCH EASIER.

Hence the creation of the original aura.

To reemphasize the reason a nightfall tracker aura doesn't work is because shards don't regenerate once every 20 seconds. They regenerate by the second.
I think, as Saoren mentioned in the Affliction guide, that it has to do with the empowered corruption perk.

Someone with a lock below lvl 92 could easily test this
123 not it because I don't have a warlock level 10-91
Interesting, but I could've sworn I've got the 2 shard procs back to back before, or maybe I just remember it wrong.
08/17/2015 07:46 PMPosted by Exorrt
I think, as Saoren mentioned in the Affliction guide, that it has to do with the empowered corruption perk.

Will test now, give me a few minutes to import WeakAura and drag my alt from wherever I left it to a home city.
08/17/2015 08:29 PMPosted by Volescu
Interesting, but I could've sworn I've got the 2 shard procs back to back before, or maybe I just remember it wrong.

I would say yeah I feel like I have too, but I think the reality is that now that I know how shards regenerate (on a per second basis) and that they

You can actually hop in and out of combat while your shards regenerate and watch as the tracker perfectly stays in line with when a shard regenerates. This means you can dump yourself to 0 shards, and hop into combat at 58, then drop combat and watch it pool back up to 97 and then hop back into combat. Drop combat and you'll almost immediately gain a shard.

What I'm trying to say is that because shards are a lot more fluid than I think most people realized it created a lot of scenarios where you could easily see back to back shard procs through entering and leaving combat. This also contributed to why people thought it was random because it's entirely possible to continuously enter combat at a fraction that would result in a double proc.

08/17/2015 07:46 PMPosted by Exorrt

Will test now, give me a few minutes to import WeakAura and drag my alt from wherever I left it to a home city.

Just so we're clear: You should see a solid 100 point gain whenever nightfall procs if it holds true (and I bet that it will).
Ok, but the real question is where are the DK buffs?

JK JK..

I have a lock too. This is cool.
08/17/2015 09:04 PMPosted by Varlth
Just so we're clear: You should see a solid 100 point gain whenever nightfall procs if it holds true (and I bet that it will).

Yeah, I'm getting a flat 100 on Nightfall procs. Posting on relevant Warlock because why not.
Now go get empowered corruption (at 98) to confirm.

FOR WARLOCKS EVERYWHERE.
But that means leveling and I hate leveling D:
08/17/2015 09:35 PMPosted by Deviance
But that means leveling and I hate leveling D:

Do it for science.
Why does figuring out the behavior of nightfall sound like some thesis paper...

just tried it, this thing is !@#$ing a HUGE breakthrough. Makes affliction WAAAAY more interesting

So, are you going to update the affliction guide with this?
08/17/2015 11:17 PMPosted by Demues
Why does figuring out the behavior of nightfall sound like some thesis paper...

just tried it, this thing is !@#$ing a HUGE breakthrough. Makes affliction WAAAAY more interesting

So, are you going to update the affliction guide with this?

In a raiding environment it really shouldn't monstrous, but if you don't get a full 20 second countdown you will have an uneven number to work with, that mostly just translates into getting a 2nd shard earlier than you would have if you didn't pop soulburn until entering combat. Even if you start at a weird number you're only going to be able to generate 125 points through nightfall, and if you cap your shards partway through the fight you're basically set back to "0".

I think in PvP it does actually make it slightly more interesting because there is now visible proof that getting out of combat is beneficial, even if it's only for 5-10 seconds.

It will be updated to reflect this though.
Yes this is true, you actually gain 1.25 per nightfall proc. I was talking to Furty about this the other day. You always want to stay around 2 shards, unless you're able to track it. Obviously you don't want to waste those shards. It's just another thing to think about and it allows you to min/max a tad more, knowing you have 2 shards about to come up
I have experienced double Nightfall (like less or closer than ONE sec between them) and now I know how it works! The mistery is gone!
08/18/2015 05:12 AMPosted by Varlth
In a raiding environment it really shouldn't monstrous, but if you don't get a full 20 second countdown you will have an uneven number to work with, that mostly just translates into getting a 2nd shard earlier than you would have if you didn't pop soulburn until entering combat. Even if you start at a weird number you're only going to be able to generate 125 points through nightfall, and if you cap your shards partway through the fight you're basically set back to "0".

Was whacking a training dummy for around 31 minutes, was able to keep haunting spirits up the entire time. Dunno if it's just RNG, a placebo effect or w/e, but it feels like I won't have to worry about shard RNG as much now that I can keep track of this thing.

As for the ideal start though, 15 seconds before pull is alot more manage-able than 20 seconds, and if I at least start with like 350 or so, at least the double proc will come sooner