Ability pruning was a failure

General Discussion
1 2 3 19 Next
So we can all agree to this correct?
Since they're reworking on class fantasy, we can safely say, pruning removed that.
Which means we can expect more spells next expansion hopefully?
I miss my curses. I miss Fel Flame. I miss when Rain of Fire did something.

In some ways, yes it was a failure.
09/08/2015 07:10 PMPosted by Vendall
I miss my curses. I miss Fel Flame. I miss when Rain of Fire did something.

In some ways, yes it was a failure.

Removing our curses was probably the worst thing they could've done to our class fantasy.
Idk, I liked ability pruning I didn't like feeling that I had to keybind things and figure out exactly how to get my keys in a good spot, or purchase a expensive mouse to be able to play effectively. I enjoy that i can use keys 1-5 and not hurt my dps.
What made wow's combat so fun and successful? Over time, the practice of "pushing buttons" gets committed to muscle memory, becoming visceral.

That's the real "immersion" that everyone talks about, but struggles to define - the visceral interaction between you, your peripherals, and the game. Its a combat system that requires you to learn the game before you get to fully experience it.

However, trying to explain that to the console generation.... is like trying to explain Shakespeare to a spider monkey.

None the less, that's not why we keep getting pruned.

The "5 buttons with semi random procs inside of 3 second time intervals" that we have today, doesn't take "critical thinking" to understand. its a half arsed combat system that's just easier to tune.
09/08/2015 07:15 PMPosted by Zoombies
Idk, I liked ability pruning I didn't like feeling that I had to keybind things and figure out exactly how to get my keys in a good spot, or purchase a expensive mouse to be able to play effectively. I enjoy that i can use keys 1-5 and not hurt my dps.

You must play League of Legends then.
You pretty much said, you dislike learning how to play.

Keybinding is where the skill is born.
i saw in one dev interview how they were wanted to move difficulty from the rotation to the boss encounter.

as a non-raiding pvper yea i would say its a failure, doing damage is just not as fun or interesting.
09/08/2015 07:16 PMPosted by Swålsh

You're a LFR player. You can button smash #1 and #2 and won't hurt your dps. I actually like having more than 4 main abilities. Otherwise I'd be playing Diablo.

What does LFR have to do with it? I LFR because I can't stand elitist jerkwads. Heck I barely even LFR only recently started to because I want the legendary ring.
Ability Pruning definitely makes leveling boring. I don't get any spells at all from levels 11 through 17. Very dull.
Not there best move. But not so bad either.

I agree with this.

There should be class specific toys however.
09/08/2015 07:19 PMPosted by Fronny
Ability Pruning definitely makes leveling boring. I don't get any spells at all from levels 11 through 17. Very dull.

But it takes like 1 hour to level 11 to 17. So you have to go an entire hour without any new skills. My god, the agony.
No I'm pretty happy with it.

Looking back on all my old screenshots? So MANY ABILITIES with so little room to work with, all while having 5-6 different macros just to make stuff work...

Need I remind you all the community WANTED pruning but in usual WoW community fashion as soon as you get what you want, you complain that it was better the other way...ugh.

Now my bars are nice and clean, I can use the space for other things like toys,buffs,hearthstones,mounts,engi stuff (Glider, boost)

Look at poor monks...they didn't get pruned at all.

And no more buttons to hit didn't make it complex, stop that.
I do agree that ability pruning and the removal of talents made leveling feel less meaningful, but I still enjoy what it feels like at max level versus what it used to feel like. My bars are less messy and it's much easier to press the buttons I need to press without lengthy keybindings and a special mouse that costs more then anyone should spend on a mouse.
09/08/2015 07:06 PMPosted by Miranda
So we can all agree to this correct?
Since they're reworking on class fantasy, we can safely say, pruning removed that.
Which means we can expect more spells next expansion hopefully?

Some people think it didn't go far enough because they still have more than 2 buttons to press during a fight. Sad to say that those are the gaming demographics that Blizzard is trying to appeal to with things like the ability prune and the upcoming "revamp" of specs.
09/08/2015 07:17 PMPosted by Miranda

You must play League of Legends then.
You pretty much said, you dislike learning how to play.

Keybinding is where the skill is born.

This is my problem with so many MMOs. Rift kind of hit it right with the amount of spells each Soul (Talent tree) had. But Wildstar, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars, etc all just had far too few abilities.

It was overwhelming for a bad/casual player like myself, but at the same time it felt empowering. Using your class to the fullest potential felt GOOD. Now there's no difference between raider A and raider B because there's like six buttons to press total.

It's one of the reasons why I feel allured by Monks, they haven't lost THAT many abilities. Playing my Druid or Warrior just makes me sad. Warlocks are also pretty boring now. Ability pruning (besides forced CRZ stuff) has made this game worse. I'm no doomsayer, and I still love WoW, but my opinion is that.
my issue with the pruning personally is that they pruned the wrong abilities.
09/08/2015 07:21 PMPosted by Rahaon
Need I remind you all the community WANTED pruning but in usual WoW community fashion as soon as you get what you want, you complain that it was better the other way...ugh.

Because the WoW community isn't a hive mind. I didn't suddenly stop wanting ability pruning. I never wanted it, not even going into MoP. The MoP prune at least didn't completely wreck things and was mostly OK, but when they went into WoD still pruning, they went completely overboard. I wasn't happy before, during, or after either prune. Guess what? Still not happy they did it. It was a dumb idea and the number of abilities was fine. At least in MoP they gave us some abilities in exchange for what they took. Reducing them further just to not even give us back more abilities was dumb and a waste of time. Now I have like a dozen extra keybinds on some classes and nothing to do with them.

09/08/2015 07:21 PMPosted by Rahaon
And no more buttons to hit didn't make it complex, stop that.

You're pretty much flat out wrong. More possible decisions = more complexity