Ability pruning was a failure

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 19 Next
09/10/2015 08:07 AMPosted by Bunny
Do other classes REALLY only press 5 buttons? :P I am skeptical about that. I have at least 10 as resto that I use every fight.

PvE as a DemoLock (pretty damn easy and set rotation):

Corruption, Doom, HoG (twice, but stagger it), Shadowbolt, Soul Fire on proc.

At 80% fury: DS, 4xChaosbolt, Pet ability

AoE: Hellfire

As needed: Healthstone, Soulstone, Pet's stun, my stun, Lifetap, Doomguard

So ~15 ish buttons in general cases?
Well on my Mage I use Frostbolt, Ice Lance, FrostFire Bolt, Ice Nova, Pet ability, Frozen Orb, Icy Veins, and Comet Storm for single target.

So 8.

AoE, switch Comet Storm to Frost Bomb in talents.

Also 8.

Blink, Ice Block, Blazing speed when needed.

So 11 in total.
09/08/2015 07:06 PMPosted by Miranda
So we can all agree to this correct?
Since they're reworking on class fantasy, we can safely say, pruning removed that.
Which means we can expect more spells next expansion hopefully?
No, we can't.
Rip in pepperoni abilities like DI and Eyes of the Beast

Meanwhile Eagle eye and Far sight still exist...
Glad they pruned abilities. Quality > Quanity
09/10/2015 07:46 AMPosted by Artunias
This only works for Mythic encounters, and even then really only the harder bosses. Maybe 2-3 heroic bosses the entire expansion, but everything outside of Mythic is hardly challenging enough to warrant interest with how dull the combat has become.

Don't know about how challenging it is. Raids still challenge me. But the encounters feeling the same even on different classes is a real thing.

Do a fight as a mage v a warlock or a rogue v a warrior and you can barely tell your playing a different class aside from your rotation. Even being different classes they all seem to handle every situation raids have thrown at us too similarly.

If I had to name things that make the classes listed react differently during a boss encounter it would be blink v portal/gate Iceblock v dark bargain

and evasion v die by the sword or.... whats different for a rogue from a warrior??? Whats a cool thing a warrior can do that a rogue can't? Forget numbers and damage, they can be adjusted, think game play here. What makes them different and unique classes? Out in the world, in PvP, and during Raids.
09/08/2015 07:25 PMPosted by Fran
my issue with the pruning personally is that they pruned the wrong abilities.

Whirlwind is a great rage du... I cant even finish that sentence..
09/08/2015 07:10 PMPosted by Vendall
I miss Fel Flame.

Seriously, this... if I miss anything, it's that

I also miss when Rain of Fire actually did something, but "durr PvP balance".
Couldn't they just make it not generate embers when flagged, or something?
The inconsistency of it is what bothers me.

Protection still has tons of abilities. I have 1,2,3,4,5,6,E,R,T,Y,U,F,G,J,K,l, [, two mouse buttons, number pad 0 and enter bound to things I use all the time.
Arms is unplayably bad, but I don't miss it, I just stick to Prot.
I play my Rogue with 4-5 keys, maybe I'm just bad, but that toon seems too easy.
Elemental Shaman is broken beyond repair, taking away casting while moving has turned me off that class, which used to be my favorite alt. Even at i690, it seems to take longer to get things done that the warrior (704) or the rogue (677).
Haven't noticed a big change on my hunter, ever since I bound pet taunt to the same key as my warrior's taunt, hunter requires no thought to play.
09/10/2015 10:54 AMPosted by Eivaler
09/10/2015 08:07 AMPosted by Bunny
Do other classes REALLY only press 5 buttons? :P I am skeptical about that. I have at least 10 as resto that I use every fight.

PvE as a DemoLock (pretty damn easy and set rotation):

Corruption, Doom, HoG (twice, but stagger it), Shadowbolt, Soul Fire on proc.

At 80% fury: DS, 4xChaosbolt, Pet ability

AoE: Hellfire

As needed: Healthstone, Soulstone, Pet's stun, my stun, Lifetap, Doomguard

So ~15 ish buttons in general cases?

Demonbolt isn't the proper way to play demo since 6.1...
the people who like the pruning are pretty much saying that they like the fact that blizzard made classes very shallow and uninteresting by removing all the complexity and class flavor. Leads me to believe that those people are either very stupid and incapable of learning any class that has even a smidgen of complexity, or that they are just flat out unwilling to even try to learn and instead just want the game dumbed down to their level. In either case, the devs shouldn't cater to the people who want the game dumbed down.
The prune wasn't just a good idea; for some classes it was damn near a necessity. Some classes, hybrids particularly, were reaching critical mass with their spellbooks. Having so many spells that you're struggling to find space for all of them between six action bars, let alone use them all effectively, is not an L2P issue.

No, the prune wasn't perfect, and yes, there are abilities that got pruned that I wish hadn't. Some classes got hit too hard (poor, poor Arms warriors), others didn't get hit hard enough (why do I still have Unleash Elements?), and plenty got pruned in the wrong places, but that doesn't mean that pruning was a bad idea in and of itself.

There's a difference between depth and complexity. Having tons and tons of abilities didn't necessarily make for deeper gameplay; just more complicated gameplay. Needing to dump Holy Power into keeping Inquisition up did not make for deeper gameplay, because there's nothing deep about "keep this ability up all times to do more damage;" it just makes it more complicated because you have another button you have to hit every so often to make your other abilities hit as hard as they're supposed to.
Don't hold your breath. I bet they prune even more abilities or make more spec specific.
It definitely seems like it hit some classes harder than others.

For example, my paladin still has quite a few spells and the prune didn't seem to hurt them all that bad.

Then you have this warlock, where Affliction is essentially "Put three dots up on your target, spam drain soul until you have to put the three dots back on, throw out a haunt when RNG lets you".

I mean taking away curses was pretty questionable in itself. And I also really miss Fel Flame, like everyone else.
So much subjectivity being touted as fact.
I really miss that the level 90 Priest talents no longer both damage and heal and only do one or the other now. It was great timing Divine Star firings on some raid encounters to greatly assist the healers in keeping the group alive.
I really miss that the level 90 Priest talents no longer both damage and heal and only do one or the other now.

I remember going into scarlet halls as a heler I think early mop. I tried speccing into halo, and I found out I couldn't really use it, at all, or would pull everything in a huge radius, which at that point would probably still cause a wipe. Even divine star was risky, the only safe spell to use was cascade.
As a healer, I miss choosing between the long slow big heal (like Greater Heal) and fast smaller heal (like Flash Heal).

I liked using those big heals on a player to fill up their health bar, but sometimes it didn't work out and they died before I could get the heal off xD I think to myself, next time I should use Flash Heal. Next time I would use Flash Heal, I would notice that it's an expensive heal mana wise, and I could have squeezed in a Greater Heal.

Anyway point being, it gave me a choice. I had to assess the situation and chose the best heal. Now it's FLASH HEAL, FLASH HEAL, FLASH HEAL....
09/10/2015 01:40 PMPosted by Aragost
09/08/2015 07:25 PMPosted by Fran
my issue with the pruning personally is that they pruned the wrong abilities.

Whirlwind is a great rage du... I cant even finish that sentence..

My wife spit out her coffee and laughed for a solid 10 minutes when I read that to her
Definitely want to see more pruned on some specs. Really don't care if they prune stuff that can be macroed together but there is a limit to muscle memory and manual dexterity - adding new talents constantly really led to too many abilities to be able to consistently hit.

I have no idea what people are talking about with 5 keybinds. Of the 7 specs I play i think disc priest has the fewest with 21 for me and there are a few things i don't even have bound or don't really use the binds much in addition to that.