Anyone else having trouble with Windows 10?

General Discussion
I have not had a single issue with windows 10 since I force started the upgrade.

It has truly been a seamless upgrade and experience so far.
09/15/2015 06:04 PMPosted by Bitterhope
I started at the Micrisoft store Friday. They tell me they will have it right by tomorrow.

If Dell had not locked the data directory at 100mb and if the partion were not locked ...

I'll probably never buy a Dell again and may not buy Microsoft again.

You bought a dell? Well, have you learned your lesson OP? The only thing dell makes thats good are their ultra sharp monitors. Their computers are junk, and their customer support are appalling. For the price you payed for that shiny new dell you could have built your own with better quality everything for the same price.

09/16/2015 08:25 AMPosted by Murlocholmes
I have not had a single issue with windows 10 since I force started the upgrade.

It has truly been a seamless upgrade and experience so far.

I wont ever upgrade to windows 10 because I dont like my data being collect, I want control over my own security, and I dont want microsoft's adware showing me pop ups when I do stuff. I really don't care how good windows 10 is. Untill they nix the data collection I wont upgrade it, even if that means i have to shell out money for it later.

Am I being irrational? Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Micorsoft has in their terms of service that "we will collect data and may use it for diagnostics"? That's really dangerous. What that is basically saying in legal speak is they MAY collect data for diagnostic purposes, but they also may collect it for some other reason not defined in the terms of use. Legal speak is tricky, deceptive and often nefarious. Never take any legal document at face value, scrutinize every word of it, because the wording is what could end up screwing you over.
09/16/2015 08:28 AMPosted by Moosafa
I wont ever upgrade to windows 10 because I dont like my data being collect, I want control over my own security, and I dont want microsoft's adware showing me pop ups when I do stuff. I really don't care how good windows 10 is. Untill they nix the data collection I wont upgrade it, even if that means i have to shell out money for it later.

Am I being irrational? Am I the only one bothered by the fact that Micorsoft has in their terms of service that "we will collect data and may use it for diagnostics"? That's really dangerous. What that is basically saying in legal speak is they MAY collect data for diagnostic purposes, but they also may collect it for some other reason not defined in the terms of use. Legal speak is tricky, deceptive and often nefarious. Never take any legal document at face value, scrutinize every word of it, because the wording is what could end up screwing you over.

You can disable it, it's just a little bit convoluted, and something that your average user is not going to do, or be aware about.

The fact that you ARE aware about it shows that your head is on straight enough to begin with. It's not all too complicated to disable it. It involves modifying your registry and setting a couple of services to "disable" as opposed to "automatic"
Been using w10 preview build and then the official release for quite a few months and have had zero issues with WOW or with anything really.
Let me be clearer.

The HP laptop went to ten flawlessly. One advantage

The Dell I got wholesale for less than the parts to build my own.

The problem I had was the data folder cannot be repartitioned and is locked at 100 mb. Part of Windows 10 has to install there. Normal solution is to delete the language files for languages other than English. Dell locks that so you can't.

I contacted Microsoft and they told me that the new Microsoft stores will handle the upgrade for free.

Since 7 won't handle back up mirror drives larger than 1T and since the general report is a slightly faster WoW experience I decided to upgrade.

First, MS couldn't solve the problem and said they needed to do a fresh install.

Then they took more than twelve hours on the data backup from my SSD drive to the internal hard drive backup.

Then they did a fresh install of 7 not 10.

Then they failed to reinstall my Microsoft software as promised (I have to reinstall the rest of the software).

But, in theory, I'll have it back tonight.

But it sure seems like a lot of trouble and screw up.

I'm curious if anyone else has had that happen.

They seem cheerful, but really undertrained.

My wife keeps telling me this is proof I should have gotten a Mac.

Hope that is clearer in explaining the problem, the approach I took (I looked it up. Found the standard solution. Found it was locked out on my computer. Then followed up with MS).

But it made me wonder if this type of problem was normal.

I agree that next time I'll pay more and build my own. The wholesale discount doesn't make up for the trouble.

Glad the only game I'm playing is WoW.

Glad my critical data is on a USB duplicate on my key chain.

But seriously. Ouch.
Tried 10, worked OK, but I missed the time and date gadgets I keep in the upper right corner of my second monitor. Tried to revert, but it said the files were gone (2 days since install!)
Fortunately, I had taken an image backup of my drive before I ran the update, so all was well after a 45 minute restore.

Not going consider 10 until they come up with a secure replacement for the desktop gadgets.