Does this happen to you?

General Discussion
I log in and get sad. Nobody in guild speaks. Everyone is just listed in their garrison. You ask if anyone wants to do... and get no response. I let this happen for a few weeks and then /gquit. What's the point? I've been logging in just to do my gold missions and log out. I don't really want to do LFR or grind TJ reps and I've been honor capped for weeks. I have a bunch of other characters sitting at 90ish that I can't bring myself to get to 100. The social aspect of the game is dead. Even in real life... I saw a kid on campus today wearing one of the ! quest giver hats, said "hey man, I like your hat..." He just grunted at me.

Long story short, I'm lonely in game, pity me.
09/24/2015 03:11 PMPosted by Sabbathi
Even in real life... I saw a kid on campus today wearing one of the ! quest giver hats, said "hey man, I like your hat..." He just grunted at me.

I think after a full day of dealing with noobs trying to get quests from him he sort of gave up trying to talk to people.
09/24/2015 03:16 PMPosted by Azhu
Even in real life... I saw a kid on campus today wearing one of the ! quest giver hats, said "hey man, I like your hat..." He just grunted at me.

I think after a full day of dealing with noobs trying to get quests from him he sort of gave up trying to talk to people.

You're probably right. I was standing there thinking, "should I right click this dude?"
I hear you and honestly game wise aside from high end raiding and pvp there really is no incentive or need to interact with others. Many people are withdrawn into their own world or frankly a bit anti-social. Yet, we all desire a certain amount of interaction and friendship, sometimes we just need a push in the right direction.

This can be overcome and here would be my suggestion.

The guild is important and your right to leave if the situation is as you describe. I'd find a guild and look for a group that communicates regularly, in skype, vent, or whatever. Voice is important and if your not using it your passing on a very helpful tool. In either case, you want to find people like you, there out there. Just be yourself and see who you connect with.
It's been this way for a long while now, many Many people have just been very slow to the catch up because they were distracted by...<insert thing here>What with warlords shaping up to be the Shortest expansion ever (obligatory worst ever lawl first) and with the least amount of grinds and pointless activities (yea,turns out daily's and well planned out atunements are a good thing whodathunkit) and i said least amount not none, people are realizing that the community kinda blows unless you already have a clique.

And we can spew on and on about how LFD/LFR or the gods of Olympus ruined everything but not entirely, a multitude of bad choices led us to this and there is probably no fixing it because i don't see many people,least of all people who regular GD standing up and Being better people because ultimately,it's just a game and I'll never see you meet you or have to deal with you again so why bother?

Now that,that depressing rant is out of the way.Try taking a break and playing something else or catch up on tv/anime show you enjoy
I log in and get sad. Nobody in guild speaks. Everyone is just listed in their garrison. You ask if anyone wants to do... and get no response. I let this happen for a few weeks and then /gquit. What's the point? I've been logging in just to do my gold missions and log out. I don't really want to do LFR or grind TJ reps and I've been honor capped for weeks. I have a bunch of other characters sitting at 90ish that I can't bring myself to get to 100. The social aspect of the game is dead. Even in real life... I saw a kid on campus today wearing one of the ! quest giver hats, said "hey man, I like your hat..." He just grunted at me.

The game is dying. People that got used to WoW when it had 10-12m subs will never get used to this crap. Unless legion is a huge success WoW will never be the same for those who experienced the game with 10m+ subs.
Guilds are overrated anyway. The real conversations are in Trade chat.

Guilds ignore you unless you are in the officer/founding member clique.
I log on and get a hello from everybody then get on mumble and every one is talking. I don't know dude, surround yourself with people. If you ignore people you'll feel alone.
if someone from my guild started talking, id be so creeped out. @_@

i thought about throwing a lowbie on a server thats not Failrunner into a guild but ehhhh, I dont care for feeling like i HAVE to log in or get kicked. oh well, garrisons are... fun... right?
Join Moon Guard.

You'll find all kinds Of People there!
He just grunted at me.

Probably an Orc
It's not just WoW that suffers from "Empty guild Chat" syndrome. It is becoming more and more of a thing in All mmorpgs. Many players, even without realizing it, are becoming part of the Me Generation. If they don't gain power from it, they're Not interested. I've seen similar commentary in other MMORPGs out there in the past 2-3 years, so its not something exclusive to WoW.

The worst part of course is many players aren't aware of how they're alienating themselves from everyone around them. Your best bet is to hunt for that elusive group of players who still enjoy talking and socializing and everything. They're sadly a rare breed these days it seems.
Yes. It's so quiet. I sometimes see one or two people out and about in TJ but that's about it. It feels a lot like a single player game most of the time.
09/24/2015 05:15 PMPosted by Verdre
It's not just WoW that suffers from "Empty guild Chat" syndrome. It is becoming more and more of a thing in All mmorpgs. Many players, even without realizing it, are becoming part of the Me Generation. If they don't gain power from it, they're Not interested. I've seen similar commentary in other MMORPGs out there in the past 2-3 years, so its not something exclusive to WoW.

The worst part of course is many players aren't aware of how they're alienating themselves from everyone around them. Your best bet is to hunt for that elusive group of players who still enjoy talking and socializing and everything. They're sadly a rare breed these days it seems.

This is a very presumptuous post and itself a motivator for people to go "lone wolf" in MMOs.

Having negative interactions can really do a number on a person's drive to socialize in an online game. This includes getting cussed out for making a single mistake, taken advantage of after offering to help, and accused of being "selfish" or "alienating themselves" because they turn down a group request.

For crying out loud, I've been called these because I'm using a flying mount. This suppose to motivate me to play with others how?

Here. The following video does a better job of describing what I mean, then I could:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZipR5KIAvko

Okies, I am not saying this to argue or shoot you down... just a friendly suggestion:

You dont wanna LFR grind? Fine, dont go with the intention of "grinding," go with the intention of makin friends. A lotta times LFR is silent, or if someone is saying something it's something negative, but you can often change this by going to LFR and striking up convos with the people there. Just talk about anything and keep it up and often folks will start talking back. Sometimes you get LFRs that are "dead" where people dont wanna talk but dont let that discourage you. Eventually (and in short order) you'll get a LFR with people who are like so many we see on these forums who are kinda sad the social aspect of WoW is dying and they are willing to talk. You can do this in 5man pugs as well. If you keep it up you'll see yourself starting to get friend requests or people will straight up ask you for bnet info to run with you some more.

Your garrison? It can be a social experience if you want it to be. Just list it in Groupfinder. "Party at Sabbathi's garrison, come use my buildings, chase me through the mines, swim with me in the lake!" Hahah, lol, right? Yeah, but people out there actually like that stuff and I have had garrison parties before. It's fun.

Tanaan is quiet? Like LFR get people talking. If they dont start talking with you at first, keep your dialogue going or do something silly like converse with yourself, be silly, be witty, don't be afraid to get laughed at and often you can get people talking and make friends if you wish. I like talking about toons and I have found a lot of others do as well and so often I'll get people talking about that sort of thing. Also instead of asking for help that you need, instead offer to help others. That is a great way to get folks talking and meet others as well.

I am not a very social person, but when I wanna be I can really do it well. Some of the things written above have made WoW a better social experience for me and others I recommended it to.
IMO, it's a matter of everyone being at different stages in the game. 1 person needs to start the legendary chain. Another wants to conq cap. Another is farming felblight for his crafted stuff. Goes on and on.

It's not fair for me to expect them to drop everything and do what I want, and I won't get anything done if I do that.

So everyone is basically just doing his/her own thing. Sure, if you're in a raiding guild and it's raid night - you'll do that together, but I'd bet that most guilds are just full of people moping around wondering why no one wants to do things with them.

It's because WoW is a smorgasbord of content meant to appeal to a massively diverse audience.
09/24/2015 05:11 PMPosted by Gnocchi
He just grunted at me.

Probably an Orc

However, I bet he's not that kind of orc.

09/24/2015 03:41 PMPosted by Fallanaa
Guilds ignore you unless you are in the officer/founding member clique.

Not all guilds. Some still actually say hello, ask how people are doing, offer to help, etc, and not just to the officers/founders.

Even when a guild is not very active, you can still find people to do stuff with. I have one very good friend that I do stuff with on almost a daily basis. Find someone you get on well with, join their guild if possible, and do stuff with them. Ask others to join.
Yeah, this happens more than I'd like. My BC and Wrath guilds were really good about having members online during non-raid days, and they were always up to do something. BC especially was great, because we'd take newcomers who needed their attunements as well as newbies from other raiding guilds, add some pugs from trade chat, and get them all keyed at the same time. It was really cool and made for a server-wide bonding experience.

My last few guilds have been more like what you describe: empty, no one talking or wanting to talk, everyone doing their own thing. I'm not really a social person, but I do like to have a conversation every once in a while, and I like to help people out with things. Hopefully I'll find a new home in Legion.
09/24/2015 06:03 PMPosted by Gaahr
Yeah, this happens more than I'd like. My BC and Wrath guilds were really good about having members online during non-raid days, and they were always up to do something. BC especially was great, because we'd take newcomers who needed their attunements as well as newbies from other raiding guilds, add some pugs from trade chat, and get them all keyed at the same time. It was really cool and made for a server-wide bonding experience.

My last few guilds have been more like what you describe: empty, no one talking or wanting to talk, everyone doing their own thing. I'm not really a social person, but I do like to have a conversation every once in a while, and I like to help people out with things. Hopefully I'll find a new home in Legion.

Like I alluded to before, it's because WoW is a much less focused game. The idea is to give everyone something to do regardless of progression, but what ends up happening is everyone is wrapped up in their own compartmentalized section of WoW.

Long story short; there is an immense content drought that has been going on pretty much this entire expansion.