Warlock Spec

General Discussion
Hey guys, I figured Id roll a lock for some pve/raids. Wondering what spec it the best for leveling 1-100 and then what spec for end game content. Ive heard destro, but I feel like affliction would be more fun to play.
10/03/2015 07:12 PMPosted by Aarcus
Hey guys, I figured Id roll a lock for some pve/raids. Wondering what spec it the best for leveling 1-100 and then what spec for end game content. Ive heard destro, but I feel like affliction would be more fun to play.

Affliction was fun, but I found it took longer to kill a single mob than destruction, but when the amount of mobs increases, the relative speed of killing increases, since you can tick on multiple at once.

however, I was only aff up until 63-64, when I boosted (I absolutely LOATH BC zones) and switched to destro, and I am pleased.
10/03/2015 07:12 PMPosted by Aarcus
but I feel like affliction would be more fun to play.

Maybe when you go around with a glyphed inhale and use soulstones just right on critters. Throwing the green/purple orb around is entertaining.
10/03/2015 07:32 PMPosted by Hairydwarf
I was only aff up until 63-64, when I boosted (I absolutely LOATH BC zones) and switched to destro, and I am pleased.

Interesting. I can't get enough of TBC zones but utterly abhor Wrath ones. To answer the OP's question: Destruction is solid and remains solid both in leveling and end game. You'll make craters of mobs very quickly.
At the moment, Affliction is better for fights that last longer than a minute. While levelling, you should expect to kill mobs in less than 10 seconds.

Destro will kill faster, but for AoE killing, Afflic is a bit better at later levels with Seed of Corruption and Soul Shard Empowerments.
Leveling through 90-100 content on my Warlock I liked Affliction. A full set of DoTs would kill most things, so I could just continually spam them and keep pulling every mob in the area non stop until there was either none left or I had finished my quest.
I would say destruction. It's simple and straightforward. Of course I've only leveled a lock from 90-100 in their current form, so I don't know what any of the specs are like at lower levels. But I do absolutely hate affliction at the moment.
All of them

As for fun, I prefer Destruction, but this is just personal preference. There are also those who like Affliction and Demonology.

I also personally find Affliction incredibly boring. The other night on mythic Fel Lord progression I found myself losing focus and starting to tunnel vision near the end of the night because the spec is just that damn boring.
destro rocks
10/03/2015 08:35 PMPosted by Vreivai

I also personally find Affliction incredibly boring.

It was certainly done no favours in the transition from MoP to WoD, in that regard.
Rather sad, as I enjoy the spec in concept but not so much in execution anymore.

pls buff destro
10/03/2015 08:35 PMPosted by Vreivai
I also personally find Affliction incredibly boring. The other night on mythic Fel Lord progression I found myself losing focus and starting to tunnel vision near the end of the night because the spec is just that damn boring.

I've always liked Aff, but the WoD iteration is so...dull. They needed to add something else to manage when they took out snapshotting.
I'm looking forward to what they do with Demonology when they remove Meta

The spec should have always been the Warlock version of Beast Mastery, not you becoming the Demons.
I started playing my 83 lock this year - the specs had changed a lot since pre-MoP.

At first I chose Demonology because it is now the only spec that can have the Felguard, the pet I always used in the past. But I really dislike current demonology. To play it right you build up some "points" then switch to a demon form yourself and use up the "points" with a different set of skills - almost tanking. Two sets of skills, two styles of play, back and forth every fight. I really hated that (others may like it) and tried Destro.

Destro was a lot of fun solo leveling 83 to 100. At 83 I already has really powerful spells. I used the basic tank pet (voidwalker), whose tanking was so weak that on a typical fight of 3 mobs, at least one of them ignored the pet and went for me. But it didn't matter. I had enough different skills to handle lots of situations lots of ways. You still have the "build up points" idea, but this time the points are used to cast your most powerful ranged dps spell. You can store up enough points to cast it 4 times, so I usually saved it for the boss. Or used it to 1-shot a normal mob.

Have not done affliction at all so no comment there.
We have a valid spec now?
I raid as affliction. The other warlock in our raid goes destruction. I do better on single target fights. He does better when there are alot of adds and he can abuse Havoc. There's really not a huge difference in the numbers, though. Play what you enjoy. You'll be fine.
demo is by far the easiest / fastest spec to level as, in game. Nothing else can come close. You could literally run and never stop moving and annihilate everything the whole way from 1-100.

aff is the opposite. Probably the slowest spec to level in game. Your main damage is a 10 stack of agony, which takes time to build, it could probably hit 3-4 stacks before an average monster will die. It's terrible to play in the open world. I wouldn't know if something else is in fact worse because I don't play specs for too long in the open world if they suck to play in the open world. However, I can definitely say that disc priest is more efficient in questing / killing average mobs than affliction is.

destruction is in the middle. Not half as fast as demo, but not half as slow as aff.

That being said, if you're wanting to learn warlock while you level don't play demo. It's not viable at max level, and the way you play while speed leveling is way different than anything you'd do in a dungeon or raid anyway. But if you want to make it to 100 literally twice as fast as the next best class can and then learn how to play after you hit 100, play demo.
i leveled demo. Felgaurd is good and HoG and Choas wave are great since melee will obliterate most mobs before you can cast.
Hedo is best spec ask him he know warlock inside and out.
Personally for leveling, I think demo is the best leveling spec for right now (Demonic leap helps out so much more than you would think.)

For end game PvE would be: Destro and Afflic

PvP: All 3 specs are viable depending on what kind of PvP you're doing.

Demo is probably best for 1v1

And Destro and Afflic imo are pretty even depending on how you wanna go around things.

Destro can squash people like flies and can heal a lot, but if theres a melee on you, good luck casting.

And Afflic does a lot of damage and has ok survivability, but not as good as Demo or Destro. If you're allowed to sit back and cast as Afflic you can do massive damage.