A timeless memorial.

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is where I would post something like this but it is "general discussion."
My name is Viggy, not in real life but in my world away from earth that I have grown up on and experienced so much in. Anyway, Five or six years ago I stumbled upon a little guild on Aerie Peak named "Knights of Excalibur" wherein I met some of the most kind and generous people that I had come across in WoW in all my years of playing. The guild leader (Kickle) took me under her wing and pretty much raised me alongside her husband (Tanais... now Lownack after a server move). A few years ago Tanais was diagnosed with stage 4 Colon cancer and given a very short time to live. This news came after Knights of Excalibur packed up and hopped servers to Blade's Edge where we joined and even more loving and kind guild named United and Honored. We watched as Tanais became more and more ill, shed tears amongst one another, and offered every bit of support that we could to Kickle and her Family.

Tanais passed away last year, the cancer had grown too strong for doctors to manage. Kickle remained strong through the entire thing. Tanais passed knowing he had a huge family away from family to care about him. Even on some of his darkest days he would find time to play, or Kickle would be online to fill us in. Kickle, at this point a sister to me, knows where she can go when the world is just to much but we as a guild don't feel that it is enough. We decided to post a topic asking for a memorial to be erected in game in Tanais's name to honor a true WoW veteran. So that his name isn't forgotten and will stand as a timeless memorial to his bravery and love for the game and many of its inhabitants. Thank you for your time and please don't pass over this thinking its just another post.

After reading a few posts I love the ideas of personal Plaques in game or the cemetary idea. Maybe even a tombstone in SW's graveyard that says something about all of the people we, as players, have lost over the years.
-Viggy
Now that is something I would vote for even if I didn't know them!
Likewise, good luck in your venture!
gonna step in and say - Why is your friend more deserving of a memorial than mine, who died suddenly and unexpectedly last year, leaving behind a wife and 8 year old son. He was a fantastic father, loved his family, loved the game and was a great guy to have in our group.

Is blizzard expected to put a memorial up for every player who has passed away? there would be memorials everywhere.
Sincere condolences for the loss of your friend.
It is, however, simply unfeasible that every dearly departed friend receive a commemoration of their own.

I do think the idea of a generalised memorial to all deceased players would be more appropriate.
They won't do this.

You think your friend is the only person to have played WoW and died? That's a really myopic way to view the world. I'm sorry for your loss, but suffering is a condition that affects the whole human race, and you're hardly the only person to have known someone who played this game and died.
Definitely have my vote for this. Hopefully time will heal the wounds but the memory of the loved ones will grow stronger with love for them
Sorry for your loss.
10/05/2015 08:49 PMPosted by Rena
They won't do this.

You think your friend is the only person to have played WoW and died? That's a really myopic way to view the world. I'm sorry for your loss, but suffering is a condition that affects the whole human race, and you're hardly the only person to have known someone who played this game and died.

Of course they wont do this but why be a real PITA and be a jerk about his request. Be human and simply be decent.
Pretty callous response from u

No, it's a realistic response from me. Everybody dies. It's horrendous, but its one of those all-encompassing truths to our lives. And, unfortunately, some people die earlier than others.

I'm not trying to mock that his friend passed away, but after 11 years and 10+ million western subs, do you honestly believe that THOUSANDS of Warcraft players haven't died? Where's the statue honoring them?
10/05/2015 08:49 PMPosted by Rena
They won't do this.

Thats a pretty callous response . They wont do it true but try to be sympathetic and have a lil empathy toward his situation. Its the humane thing to do.
It would be cool if there was some kind of memorial in wow that allowed you to search for players who have quit the game. They could leave a message and list any names that their current character might have had over their years of adventuring so that those who are curious could look them up and successfully find them whether its been a day since they last talked to them or 10 years.

Obviously this would be all self input so if you didn't want to leave one then simply unsub and you're done.
While I am sorry for your loss the only Blizzard Memorials in game are for friends/family of the Blizzard company.

What they might do, however is add a few tombstones to say SW, and have a plaque that you can mouse over to read that says something like

"To our fallen friends, and Comrades. Though you may be gone from this world we will never forget you, and will fight to ensure you are not forgotten."

Or something.
I really am sorry, as someone who has had losses personally.

Having Blizzard erect a memorial in game for you would be a long shot. A lot of people's loved ones who played WoW with them have died before. They had thought of the same thing you are suggesting today, but to tell you the truth this game would have far too many memorials in it and it would be too much.

It would be interesting if Blizzard could think of something that could represent all the lost ones together somehow though.
Thank you all for the condolences it is truly appreciated. Thank you to my friends that put this together, it was a very sweet surprising gesture ... Love you.

Some may see this as just a game and while it is we make friendships some that may and hopefully last a lifetime, we add family members. Tanais and I have done just that.

No I am not the only one to lose a loved one, that was never said or even suggested. To those that have you truly have my deepest heartfelt condolences.

Will Blizzard do this probably not but the post alone made by someone who truly cared, never even met my husband but truly cared is tribute enough in my book.

If you have something negative to say stop and think what it would be like to lose your other half, a once in a lifetime true love ....

Tanais & Kickle --- I love you sweetheart
I am sorry for your loss. Nobody should have to leave a family so young. I think the idea of a memorial for all wow players that knew someone who left this world too soon would be a great idea.
Sorry for the loss, but why give a memorial to a non famous person?