Potential fix for level 1 gold spammers?

Customer Support
Would it be possible to "shadowban" these bots, so that they see their text coming up in chat but no one else does? I dunno if that would help, but I thought it'd at least delay them in making a new spam character.
Anything that is done to them will affect normal players who are using the Starter Account as well.
10/21/2015 11:14 PMPosted by Brunik
Would it be possible to "shadowban" these bots, so that they see their text coming up in chat but no one else does? I dunno if that would help, but I thought it'd at least delay them in making a new spam character.

Frankly, their impact as it sits now is quite minimal, compared to the alternative.

In the past, we had thousands of compromised accounts every day being used to spam chat, or draw websites on the ground in corpses.

We had thousands of new account creations using stolen credit cards, which blizzard has learned to detect and prevent based on IP address ranges.

A few starter characters spamming /say? That's easy to fix. Rt click report spam.

Yes, in the grand scheme of things, seeing them at/near starter city banks on both factions probably means there a few hundred to a few thousand spammer accounts at any given time active in the region.

But remember the days of the corpse spam. 20-30 accounts per city, per faction, per realm - all at the same time. Over and over. At the same time as the trade chat and say spam that were occurring concurrently.

Nope. We're in great shape right now.

Between the tokens, and the safeguards Blizzard has in place to restrict spambot invasions... Blizz has dealt a massive blow to the RMT industry, and the remnants of their bots that remain are an easy rt click away.
So, you just want them to keep another account open to alt tab to and see their text?
It wouldn't be hard for them to notice this, and any account watching wouldn't have to participate in any way that would get them caught. That's a pretty low bar for a "fix".

They have done a lot to lower the amount of spam. I doubt this would do any more than that.
I'd recommend using mods to help you report the spam faster, so they get actioned more frequently. Then, you don't see as much of it, it gets reported, and they don't adjust to the third party mods as frequently because there are multiple, they don't all look for the same things, and so you can't count on a consistent detection pattern across everyone.
We are well aware of the abuse of starter licenses for this purpose - that's one reason starter licenses have so many restrictions.

Short of taking chat away from a starter entirely (and by extension inactive licenses), the reporting system is by far the best tool to deal with these cretins.

Of course the REAL solution is for players to never give these thieves money. If they had no customers, they'd disappear, at least from a game where they made no profits.

It is very very dangerous to deal with these individuals. I don't call them thieves lightly. They are heavily into credit card fraud and identity theft - quite often, credit of their very own customers.

Not only is their 'inventory' manufactured from exploits, scams and theft of accounts - forget that part, they are after real world dollars, and credit card information anytime they can get it. If someone gives them enough information to 'bill' an order, they can use it for whatever they like - and do.

No one should be buying anything from these cockroaches. Not mounts, boe gear, gold, nothing.

Remember, friends don't let friends buy gold from third party sites.
10/22/2015 12:19 AMPosted by Brugh
Rt click report spam.

this really is the best thing any of us can do. not only does it report the account to blizz, it also temporarily ignores that character (so you don't have the ad spam clogging up your chat window). also, if enough people report the spam, an automated system will temporarily cut off that toon's ability to post in chat. this also reins them in until the gm department can investigate and deal with them.

thanks for being one of the good guys and helping make the game a better environment.

10/22/2015 05:19 AMPosted by Orlyia
No one should be buying anything from these cockroaches. Not mounts, boe gear, gold, nothing.

i'd also add leveling services (character, profession, battle pets, etc) to this list. there are also groups that sell "carries" for raids, arenas, achievements, challenge modes, etc. i'd avoid those, as well.