Purple Fatigue

Priest
I love my shadow priest. I really do. No matter how many alts I make I always come back.

But I'm feeling "purple fatigue". I'm ready to not be purple. I don't want to look like I've bathed in grape juice and tied smoke bombs to my shoes anymore.

I'm not switching classes or spec--shadow priest for life! I really am just talking about purple.

Blizzard, as we're going into the next expansion, would you please consider giving us a way to turn off the shadow effects completely? I'm glad to have the Glyph of Shadow to tone it down, and I love that mounts aren't shadowed anymore. Can we take it the rest of the way somehow? At least those of us who want to?

I know, I know, class/spec identity and all that. And it is a cool effect. For the first few years anyway. But I for one am ready for some other colors.
inb4 Mer

Edit: I'd be pretty pissed if they added this after taking away default shadow mounts. Eroding this class's theme and aesthetic for people who signed up for something they don't like is never going to sit well with me.
OP, prepare to be ripped apart for having a preference. Everyone on this forum would rather be a featureless humanoid blob that negates all gear/transog/cosmetic effects.

10/26/2015 08:18 PMPosted by Nixxe
inb4 Mer

Yep. More options, always bad, confirmed.
10/26/2015 08:27 PMPosted by Mer
Everyone on this forum would rather be a featureless humanoid blob that negates all gear/transog/cosmetic effects.

As I said, I'd be pretty pissed if they added yet another option for people who don't want anything to do with the single most iconic and thematically core ability of the class right after screwing the rest of us.
I don't think non-shadow mounts were added for people like me and OP. Who would even ask for such a thing?
People who don't like Shadowform.
Clearly. But people who don't like Shadowform would undoubtedly prefer that the entire effect is removed. By a glyph, ideally. The mount effect is irrelevant.
You can prefer whatever you'd like, but there's really nobody else such a decision would appeal to. What you want and who Blizzard is trying to appeal to are not dependent upon each other.
There seems to be a great deal of hostility over cosmetic choices, and I can't wrap my head around why more options are perceived to be a bad thing.

10/26/2015 08:18 PMPosted by Nixxe

I'd be pretty pissed if they added this after taking away default shadow mounts. Eroding this class's theme and aesthetic for people who signed up for something they don't like is never going to sit well with me.

Off the top of my head I can think of several reasons. Player A's guild needed a healer in BC so the player created a priest but eventually got burned out healing so they tried shadow and while they found it enjoyable they can't stand shadow form. Player B has played priest since pre-cata and shadow form allowed them to maintain a consistent look even with mismatched gear, but now they want to see their transmog. Player C has a transmog set that they like the look of but it clashes with the purple from shadow form. Player D wants to play a ranged DoT class but hates demons. Player E loves the Cthulhu theme.

I personally had a difficult time deciding on a class as the race, transmog, spells, animations, and the way it plays all have to be just right. Priest is about the closest I could get but there are still things that I don't care for.

10/26/2015 08:59 PMPosted by Nixxe

As I said, I'd be pretty pissed if they added yet another option for people who don't want anything to do with the single most iconic and thematically core ability of the class right after screwing the rest of us.

While you may consider shadow form the most iconic ability (and I'm sure many others would agree) ascetics are opinions and we should aspire to allow others to have ones that differ from our own.

I'm not sure how priests were screwed. Are you talking about the shadow form being removed from the mount? If so, there is a glyph that restores it. I can understand a bit of frustration at needing to use a minor glyph slot but I would hardly consider that being screwed. If anything we should be asking for more minor glyph slots or the ability to use minor glyphs in the major glyph slots.

All of this being said I'm happy RPing a novice with the glyph of shadows but given the popularity of the warlock green fire quest line I would love to see a similar quest for priests to allow a different color scheme for shadow
I agree but TBH I just ended up fixing it myself. Casting SF doesn't dismount so it can be flipped off and on as much as I want. Simply turning it off is plenty easy to keybind.

/stopmacro [harm][combat]
/cancelaura Shadowform

/cast [stance:0] Shadowform
/cast Shadow Word: Pain

As for Glyph of Shadow, I'm happy with it the way that it is, I don't want it to totally remove the visual when I can just turn it off. You can see the color of what you're wearing so it isn't too monotonous, and it also helps hide minor color mismatches (SCREW YOU 500 slightly different blue & gold tones)
10/27/2015 07:07 AMPosted by Mátalín
If so, there is a glyph that restores it.

That is inextricably bound to another effect I detest. I had something and liked it, and then it was taken from me and "generously" given back to me in an inferior form. Let's not even talk about the erosion of gameplay mechanics over the years thanks to people who can't figure out how to stop playing a spec they don't enjoy.

10/27/2015 07:07 AMPosted by Mátalín
If anything we should be asking for more minor glyph slots or the ability to use minor glyphs in the major glyph slots.

I think the system should be scrapped entirely in favor of a more robust customization menu more spiritually similar to D3 where there are more options and each effect can be toggled independently of the others. I have no idea who was smoking what when they decided "Making my character standout" was a good place for "fun" hard decisions, but I assume it goes for thousands of dollars per ounce.
Strip away the whole shadowform design.

Then add shadowy wings permanently to the Shadow Priests. That will be the shadowform or name it shadow wings.

The other two should have the white wings that occasionally come out like with the MoP t14 set.
10/27/2015 11:35 AMPosted by Sím

Then add shadowy wings permanently to the Shadow Priests. That will be the shadowform or name it shadow wings.

I'd probably never do business with Blizzard again if they announced something like this other than an April Fool's joke or something.
The glyph is good enough. If you really hate being purple that much, you're more than welcome to cast spells outside of Shadowform. There isn't a single spell that requires you to be in it.
10/27/2015 11:35 AMPosted by Sím

Actually the whole point is not to look bad.
10/27/2015 01:10 PMPosted by Impsie
The glyph is good enough. If you really hate being purple that much, you're more than welcome to cast spells outside of Shadowform. There isn't a single spell that requires you to be in it.

In all fairness, a 20% nerf to your damage is substantial enough that it's not realistic to tell people to just cast without Shadowform.
Then go be a mage or something, OP.

Shadowform IS the most iconic character effect and it's been this way since the very beginning of this game. The changes they made buckling to the "omg i cant see mah mog or mount" vanity was just Wrong.

Do not mess with our shadowform any further, Blizzard.
10/27/2015 01:49 PMPosted by Vixie

Ah yes, the mage, the quintessential hybrid character, in many ways comparable to the priest.

But not really.
10/27/2015 02:12 PMPosted by Mer
10/27/2015 01:49 PMPosted by Vixie

Ah yes, the mage, the quintessential hybrid character, in many ways comparable to the priest.

But not really.

He won't be all purple fatigued though.
The Kirin Tor do seem awfully fond of the color purple...