How come there is such a gap in player skill?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
How come you can get a person of ilvl 690 and one of them pulls 40k dps while the other one barely pulls 25k? Is it that the classes are just hard for some people to master? I am really curious about what's really going on with this.
Some people care to put in effort to min/maxing their DPS, some people care to invest their time in other departments of the game. "Skill" in this game is rather limited, it's more of a "did this person look up their most optimal rotation/stats or not" type of thing.

Obviously players are better than others, but in the instance you're talking about chances are one person put a bit of effort into learning their class and the other didn't. Some classes are indeed easier than others, but no class is beyond performing well at this stage in the game.

The answer lies in the player
It's not about difficulty, it's about people willing to play.

Don't get me wrong -- there's players who play this game with disabilities and other handicaps that actually do prevent their performance, and that's fine, I know some of them. I love them all the same.

But majority of people are apples or oranges: They'll either want to work to do a good job, or won't bother. That's mostly why there's any difference.

Not to mention that some classes/specs are worthless without, say, tier or an Archimonde trinket. Item level does not play into that: these items do.
If it's not the same spec in the exact same gear, your point is moot.
Secondary stats matter. Class matters. Spec matters.
I dunno, I saw a hunter pulling 5k.
I'm still wondering how he managed to do that when I see him using some abilities and is decently geared.
It mostly depends on the two people altogether.
11/08/2015 12:45 PMPosted by Ellie
How come you can get a person of ilvl 690 and one of them pulls 40k dps while the other one barely pulls 25k? Is it that the classes are just hard for some people to master? I am really curious about what's really going on with this.

Some classes really suck this expac. Case in point: this warlock (okay, she's not 690 yet and missing a couple of ring enchants, but I've basically spent this whole damn expac perfecting her rotation). But I can walk into a raid on my hunter or rogue, with worse gear and they'll be pulling 30-40% more DPS without even trying.
Mostly because some have been playing for a VERY long time and others are new. The people who have been here a long time hate on the newbies, even though they used to be one.

I try to help newer players out and 9/10 times they are always very appreciative.
Why get better when u can go to Tanaan or lfr and get gear without even trying or knowing how to play your class
Sometimes, it depends on luck and RNG (whether you get that crit/proc). When I was still raiding, I would notice a lot of fluctuation in my own dps from one attempt to another (checking dps after consectutive wipes on the same boss). I didn't change my gear or buffs or ability priority, but my dps would vary greatly between satisfactory or abysmal.
For me I have yet to find a toon I want to level to 100 so I'm always restarting with new toons
Sometimes I notice that I had been mashing on the buttons and the instance chat is full of ones and twos spammed by me.

Or other times I find myself waiting idle doing auto attack waiting for a cool down.

I could continue but then that might only be considered as disruptive to your topic. etc sometimes I found myself facing the wrong way or locked out of the boss fight in lfr.
11/08/2015 12:52 PMPosted by Xerastrasza
Why get better when u can go to Tanaan or lfr and get gear without even trying or knowing how to play your class

Because that's not exactly fun gameplay. That's why.

11/08/2015 12:57 PMPosted by Iceacid
Sometimes I notice that I had been mashing on the buttons and the instance chat is full of ones and twos spammed by me.

Or other times I find myself waiting idle doing auto attack waiting for a cool down.

I could continue but then that might only be considered as disruptive to your topic. etc sometimes I found myself facing the wrong way or locked out of the boss fight in lfr.

I think the OP is asking why you basically don't bother to actually play the game well. Instead of just pointing out that you don't.
It's always been that way.

Back when I raided in Wrath, I would wear PvP gear and wreck other ferals in full tier strictly because I am the type of player that does research and learns how to extract the maximum possible performance out of my character...rather than just playing a feral because I'm a crazy cat lady or some !@#$ and think Druid kitties are cute.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything about Druids. But I go all in, and other players just aren't as dedicated sometimes. Players like that exist for all classes and roles.
11/08/2015 12:52 PMPosted by Xerastrasza

Because that's not exactly fun gameplay. That's why.

When you can buy a 90 or a 100, buy gold from Blizzard, and buy things that you used to earn, it will attract people who have a completely different sense of "fun game play".
There's truth to what people said in terms of X player cares and did his homework, and Y player didn't. The other thing that is very important is that ilevels aren't created equal. Trinkets and set bonuses are very important, especially the further into the expansion because Blizzard consistently makes them more absurd as the expansion goes on. It's not exactly uncommon for a final tier's gear to be extremely absurd in the amount of damage it makes up for a player.
It's UI.

Many people don't know, or don't care to, set up a UI for the spec/class that they are playing. Simple things like knowing how many stacks of maelstrom weapon you have or how long does the harmony buff you have left is what separate the players.
"skill" is not the same as "give a d*mn"
11/08/2015 12:59 PMPosted by Kazutoshi
There's truth to what people said in terms of X player cares and did his homework, and Y player didn't. The other thing that is very important is that ilevels aren't created equal. Trinkets and set bonuses are very important, especially the further into the expansion because Blizzard consistently makes them more absurd as the expansion goes on. It's not exactly uncommon for a final tier's gear to be extremely absurd in the amount of damage it makes up for a player.

As one final note people missed (homework and specific gear) it's important to realize that a lot of people really have poor basic mechanics. Beyond just keyboard turning and clicking you have people that aren't buffering casts to make up for lag and reaction, you have people who don't try to utilize every GCD or even understand the interaction between abilities and the GCD. At a base level it's homework, but not just class-specific homework.

One of the biggest DPS gains possible for a new or not skilled player is to begin playing mechanically correct, even if they are not playing priority/rotationally correct yet imho. At least in my opinion it's the foundation of proper play.

*EDIT -- I think the wow scene needs a version of Day[9]s series of dailies about the base mechanics of playing SC2 (e.g. his video on scerets of APM, hotkeys, and camera control, or his refining your mechanics video) but I don't really see anyone trying to produce content for the extremely entry level player.
11/08/2015 12:59 PMPosted by Kazutoshi
It's not exactly uncommon for a final tier's gear to be extremely absurd in the amount of damage it makes up for a player.

I know it wasn't the final tier, but...ToT fury warrior 4p set bonus...OMNOMNOMNOMNOM.