Release date is... interesting

General Discussion
Depending upon your own views or Blizzard's views, a summer release can be anywhere from May through September. Regardless, once the Legion Beta is released, we'll have a four to six month window to gauge where the release date will be.
11/09/2015 07:59 AMPosted by Aenistris
Depending upon your own views or Blizzard's views, a summer release can be anywhere from May through September.

Summer starts June 20, 2016 if people want a firm definition.
I believe that the expansion will likely release in tandem with the movie to maximize sales.The movie's current release date is June10th, 2016.

Technical beta for Legion is set to start in a few weeks. Tech beta's typically don't last too long and I truly expect us to see a closed beta start January-ish.
11/09/2015 12:20 AMPosted by Lyánna
The end of the Legion trailer says, "SUMMER."

While I know the end of summer is Sept 21, I'm not sure most people think of it as summer. At least I don't, and I'm in SoCA.

Seems the most ideal time would be July, just weeks after the film's release, in order to capitalize on marketing for both.

There is so much riding on this game & movie, that the longer the delay, the smaller the money window gets.

EDIT: Distracted myself into a different rant due to the above money window thought, and didn't mean to derail this thread.

It's absolutely possible it could get a mid to late July release. Beta will probably last what, six months give or take? There's no way it takes nine to ten months to get through Beta for a September release. I can't see it happening.
Put my bet down for August.
11/09/2015 08:32 AMPosted by Searik
Put my bet down for August.

No chance of that happening. With their announcement that the beta will start in the weeks after BlizzCon, we're looking at an April through June window (the beta is normally 4-6 months in length).
Considering Legion may as well be named "Last Hope," it's no wonder Blizzard is giving themselves a big fat timeframe to try and make it as good as possible.
11/08/2015 11:43 PMPosted by Blackwald
Burning Crusade Beta starts October 12 - BC Release January 16 the following year.
3 month gap between beta opening and release.

Wotlk beta started July 17, release on November 13.
4 month gap between beta opening and release

Cata beta started June 30, release December 7
5 month (and a week) gap between beta opening and release.

Mop beta started March 21, release September 25
6 month gap between beta opening and release.

Wod beta started June 27th, release November 13th
5ish month gap between beta opening and release.

Legion beta has been declared to begin in the weeks following blizzcon. I will, out of skepticism, give it a christmas start.
A late September release would be a 9 month gap between beta opening and release.

I know they were hesitant to give out info that hadn't been locked in, given how much from WoD was cut, but I feel like they may be giving some really conservative dates and estimates.

lul, ive been trying to say exactly this. it points to april through june if you look at the averages of it, plus with the marketing hype of the movie, its additional advertising for the game.
11/09/2015 12:07 AMPosted by Ekunnlol
wod wasnt rushed. they worked on it for two years with dev team that was bigger than tbc/wotlk

Look in your garrison there is a hut with a cooking npc. They didn't get the cooking npc in that would have given dailies and some kind of farmville like there was for fishing and battle pets. They didn't have the time. As the CMs say "We need to release something".

Also Ion admitted the reputation grinds were inexcusable to pass of as content, it was a last minute add in that in the big picture was better than nothing, well we could debate that all day if nothing would have actually been better.
Just as a reminder to folks, WoD had the same sort of date. They said it would release on or before 12/20/2014, it came out 11/13/2014. Even though it would mean quite a long beta, my money is on late July or early August.
11/09/2015 09:08 AMPosted by Taurii
ive been trying to say exactly this. it points to april through june if you look at the averages of it, plus with the marketing hype of the movie, its additional advertising for the game.

They managed to get MOP out sept 25, thats 5 days before the end of the quarter so that they could boast subscriber numbers and revenue. Subscriber numbers are no longer being reported however if they don't get it out by last week of march it doesn't matter if its out April 1 or June 25, Q2 earnings is Q2 earnings.
My bet is definitely a July release. Like most have said beta will last 4-6 months give or take. If the closed beta starts in January then July release will be 6 months of beta.

Now I'd honestly be very happy if it was released before July as long as the content is ready and not rushed out!
11/09/2015 09:17 AMPosted by Mageski
Just as a reminder to folks, WoD had the same sort of date. They said it would release on or before 12/20/2014, it came out 11/13/2014. Even though it would mean quite a long beta, my money is on late July or early August.

Their earliest target is end of Q2 if they can get to the point where they are confident in a finished product. That's June 25 latest to give gamers a few days to release its out and buy it.

Their latest target is end of Q3 where they have written in legal documents because of the preorders that they will release whatever game they have at that point. That's the Sept date.

Game will probably be released mid August since they will miss the Q2 deadline and hopefully make sure they release a finished, well designed, quality product so that players don't leave in the millions like they did in WoD.
11/09/2015 09:28 AMPosted by Harlen
11/09/2015 09:17 AMPosted by Mageski

Their earliest target is end of Q2 if they can get to the point where they are confident in a finished product. That's June 25 latest to give gamers a few days to release its out and buy it.

Their latest target is end of Q3 where they have written in legal documents because of the preorders that they will release whatever game they have at that point. That's the Sept date.

Game will probably be released mid August since they will miss the Q2 deadline and hopefully make sure they release a finished, well designed, quality product so that players don't leave in the millions like they did in WoD.

a 9-10 month long beta doesn't make sense, they average 4-6 months. lets say they get it started this month and that there is a 7 month beta (even though again, its outside the boundry of their average so far) it would still be june. Going even further outside of the average to an 8 month beta ends up in july. I can't see it being that far away. I'm still betting june.

If they get started next month, 6-7 month beta would still end up being june.
11/08/2015 11:43 PMPosted by Blackwald
I feel like they may be giving some really conservative dates and estimates.

I am sure they are padding it by several months, and expect it out sooner.

I am sure the reason is the thousands of "blizzard lies. blizzard are liers. Blizzard is dishonest" posts they have received in THIS forum any time they put something out later than their first estimate.
I'm still convinced from a previous thread that legion will be released on Christmas with no warning with the caption "You were not prepared".

It's just too great not to believe in.
11/09/2015 10:46 AMPosted by Cavalíer
I'm still convinced from a previous thread that legion will be released on Christmas with no warning with the caption "You were not prepared".

It's just too great not to believe in.

Christmas Eve or Christmas Morning?

Discuss...
Blizzard is, to put it politely, historically "not very good" at meeting deadlines.

I would not put all your eggs in the basket of Legion coming out "much sooner" than the stated date. Hope for a few weeks to maybe a month or two earlier, but that's unlikely. They might even push it back. We're in for another 8+ months of HFC.
Blizzard is, to put it politely, historically "not very good" at meeting deadlines.

I would not put all your eggs in the basket of Legion coming out "much sooner" than the stated date. Hope for a few weeks to maybe a month or two earlier, but that's unlikely. They might even push it back. We're in for another 8+ months of HFC.

Why do people post nonsensical claptrap? At this point, they're legally obligated to release the game on or before the fall equinox for 2016, and even then, that release date would make it the LONGEST BETA IN THE HISTORY OF WOW (by a significant margin). No, depending upon the start of the beta, the game will be out at some point in April through June with July being - without question - the absolute latest that it would launch.
11/09/2015 11:01 AMPosted by Slux

I don't think you fully understand how these things work. When a game enters beta, it means it is typically feature complete. Feature complete essentially means that all of the major features of the software are in, and you simply need to find the bugs that are in them that block a full release candidate. Blocking issues are typically bugs that block testing in some way. They don't have a workaround for you to progress on other testing fronts. they can also be bugs that break major functionality, even though the rest of the testing isn't actually blocked.

That is what beta and alpha testing is for. You do not need a full 9 months to accomplish that with a properly staffed QA department and a sizable group of willing guinea pigs. In addition, a lot of software companies follow 6 month release cycles for a number of reasons when it comes to potential public facing release candidate builds. Mostly due to the fact that you can get a lot of work done in that timeframe, and it allows you to have a regular release cycle.

In comparison, if you need 9 months, your product is unstable to the point where you might as well write and re-write huge portions of it to a level where it isn't even recognizable from the initial version at the start of that nine months. That is pretty much the only reason you would ever need a 9 month release cycle. Take into account the OP, and the fact that the movie is coming out in the middle of June. If they release beta this month, they could have an insanely long 7 month test and still hit that mark, it would be their longest beta ever by a full month.