Was it explained why Xavius is alive?

Story Forum
Wasnt he killed in Stormrage by Malf? How did he survive? Also wasnt he an OG minion?
He did die. After his death, Sargeras fashioned bits of his old flesh into a new body, but its unknown how attached his soul is to this new body.

And, no, he serves the Legion. Satyr are mostly Legion property.
He was a Legion minion first, then an Old God minion. It is quite likely for him to revert to his allegiance to the Legion, or he is working with the Legion for the benefit of the Old Gods.
Everyone knows he works for Santa Claus now. Krampus is on vacation so Santa hired Xavius to do his bidding because he was 'close enough.'
I like Iyoma's idea. Xavius is playing a long con against the Burning Legion by trying to lure Sargeras to Azeroth where the old gods expect to be able to corrupt him and use his power to free themselves from their prison.
Xavius works for whoever ressurects him after he dies. Not a bad policy really.
Xavius is out for one dude: himself.
Well, the enemies in the Emerald Nightmare have very Sha-like appearances, so it's very likely he's still working for the Old Gods.
Theory:

Blizzard ignores Knaak books... (i hope so!)
11/09/2015 09:06 AMPosted by Fentine
Theory:

Blatantly untrue given how much is being pulled from the WotA books in Legion already. Heck, even Xavius himself is from the books. Stormrage has also been mentioned several times since Cata, primarily on Teldrassil.
Honestly, Xavius was always pretty odd to begin with. Between the weird crystal eye replacements, his being the first Highborne to contact Sargeras, and his devotion to Azshara being more measured and practical than the irrational obsessions and infatuations of the other Highborne, I have to wonder if he wasn't unwittingly getting "suggestions" from certain voices in his head that deliberately led him to find the Legion and bring it to Azeroth.

Kind of like how WotA Deathwing didn't seem to completely interpret the Old Gods' whispers as coming from an external agency, halfway treating them like his own brilliant inspirations, until they eventually tried to keep him from reclaiming the Demon Soul.

With Xavius, between the Legion and Old Gods, at this point he may just consider serving either one to be the same thing as serving the other.
11/09/2015 09:20 AMPosted by Reignac
11/09/2015 09:06 AMPosted by Fentine
Theory:

Blatantly untrue given how much is being pulled from the WotA books in Legion already. Heck, even Xavius himself is from the books. Stormrage has also been mentioned several times since Cata, primarily on Teldrassil.

Not to mention several Knaak characters that have made it into WoW, including:

Falstad Wildhammer
Rhonin Redhair
Vereesa Windrunner
All five Dragon Aspects
Krasus and Tyranastrasz
The orc shaman who enslaved Alexstrasza
The Dragon Soul
Xavius
The other Ancients (besides Cenarius)
G'nir the World Tree
Lord Ravencrest
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Falstad Wildhammer
Rhonin Redhair
Vereesa Windrunner
All five Dragon Aspects
Krasus and Tyranastrasz
The Dragon Soul
Xavius
G'nir the World Tree
Lord Ravencrest

Sinestra
Kalecgos
Hakkar the hound master (mentioned in Omor's lore in the dung journal)
Tyrygosa
Jorad Mace
etc
etc
11/10/2015 06:30 AMPosted by Vesiana
11/09/2015 09:20 AMPosted by Reignac

Falstad Wildhammer
Rhonin Redhair
Vereesa Windrunner
All five Dragon Aspects
Krasus and Tyranastrasz
The Dragon Soul
Xavius
G'nir the World Tree
Lord Ravencrest

Deathwing was in Warcraft 2 and Zuluhed the Whacked (the shaman who enslaved Alexstrasza) originated in Tides of Darkness, by Aaron Rosenberg.
11/10/2015 12:17 PMPosted by Kromkosh
Deathwing was in Warcraft 2 and Zuluhed the Whacked (the shaman who enslaved Alexstrasza) originated in Tides of Darkness, by Aaron Rosenberg.

Zuluhed was the Dragonmaw chief, but Nekros Skullcrusher from Day of the Dragon was the one who did the actual enslaving.
He's pretty much THE guy for betrayals, resurrections, and plot twists.

Either him or Deathwing...it's a very close match.
I want to clarify something. Someone who has read Stormrage could help.

Xavius during his stint as the Nightmare Lord... was he treated as an actual employee of sorts being given objectives by the Old God that spawned the Nightmare, or as an outside interloper who grabbed the reins of a directionless Nightmare effect that happened to originate from an Old God?
11/10/2015 05:33 PMPosted by Frosthawk
I want to clarify something. Someone who has read Stormrage could help.

Xavius during his stint as the Nightmare Lord... was he treated as an actual employee of sorts being given objectives by the Old God that spawned the Nightmare, or as an outside interloper who grabbed the reins of a directionless Nightmare effect that happened to originate from an Old God?

He was treated as the source of it until pretty much the end when Malfurion felt N'zoth's presence in the Rift of Aln, the only section of the Dream that remained corrupted as of the end of the novel. Not that it was named as N'zoth, N'zoth's link to the Nightmare was established at a Blizzcon.
11/10/2015 12:51 PMPosted by Reignac
11/10/2015 12:17 PMPosted by Kromkosh

Zuluhed was the Dragonmaw chief, but Nekros Skullcrusher from Day of the Dragon was the one who did the actual enslaving.

I thought Zuluhed did the actual enslaving while Nekros was just made to watch over her? I distinctly remember reading that Nekros was Alexstrasza's warden while Zuluhed was the captor.

Regardless, Deathwing first appeared in Warcraft 2 and not a Knaak book.
I like the Emerald Nightmare being a part of the Legion now.

It makes everything seem less Old God sided.