Holy pally nerf, bad way to fix a bad problem

Paladin
Prev 1 3 4 5 6 Next
01/24/2011 6:50 PMPosted by Rallea
I don't like this change either. It is pretty easy to go out of mana as a healer.

As holy I have close to 0 dps, at least let me heal. Thats what I bring to the instances and occasional bg's.

All i have is 4 healing spells and a judgement for mana which doesn't even have much range. I can't give someone a shield or HoT. I guess I have BofProtection which is cool to save casters from melee mobs, but thats very situational.

I have less than half of utility that druids/shamans/priests bring. Maybe if they made this change somehow be less of a burden on people with less gear would be nice. I don't know how it is at 85, but at 67 it gets pretty mana intensive at times.

Holy's mastery gives it shields. Word of Glory can be turned into a HoT.

Mostly, this is a nerf to pvp, I think. Healers never running out of mana and making a teammate pretty much immortal is a problem.
It wont be much of an issue for geared holy paladins, its the newer paladins in heroics and raids that are going to be frustrated beyond belief (specifically if their group is filled with stupid people who like to stand in avoidable crap)

That being said, i think its one of the worst things they are doing to holy paladin in general in an effort to 'fix' healing with other classes by making us worse and not adjusting anything of significance with resto shamans, druids, and holy priests. The 10% increase in mana cost to a few spells, maybe Holy Light and Divine Light, is fine...but 10% also added onto our emergency heal Flash of Light is a bit overkill and probably wont even see PTR testing for more then a few weeks. If these changes go live, especially the Lay on Hands one, id be surprised.

In the ulduar days they tried the LoH change to cause forbearance on other people. It was a disaster and it was quickly reverted after only a short time on live servers. I believe the same thing will happen here. The changes themselves wont affect geared players as many have mentioned before, but its just that they have to resort to something this crappy in the first place that kind of caught me a bit off guard

I think this is just to see what the extremes would be and they will tone down the nerfs (a lot) or buff something else besides divine plea to even out the very large mana cost thats going to be associated with all of our heals.
01/25/2011 2:45 AMPosted by Cbredbeard
I don't like this change either. It is pretty easy to go out of mana as a healer.

As holy I have close to 0 dps, at least let me heal. Thats what I bring to the instances and occasional bg's.

All i have is 4 healing spells and a judgement for mana which doesn't even have much range. I can't give someone a shield or HoT. I guess I have BofProtection which is cool to save casters from melee mobs, but thats very situational.

I have less than half of utility that druids/shamans/priests bring. Maybe if they made this change somehow be less of a burden on people with less gear would be nice. I don't know how it is at 85, but at 67 it gets pretty mana intensive at times.

Holy's mastery gives it shields. Word of Glory can be turned into a HoT.

Mostly, this is a nerf to pvp, I think. Healers never running out of mana and making a teammate pretty much immortal is a problem.

Must be some pretty bad players those two immortals are going up against then.
Pretty sure Blizzard intended for Cata to be more challenging than the earlier expansions. If everyone could play heroics easily, regardless of gear, gems, enchants (or total lack of)...what's the point? This thread reminds me of a kid I knew growing up. We played Nintendo games together. He hated any sort of challenge in a game and got upset every time he died. The day "Game Genie" came out, he begged and pleaded with his mom for one until she caved. He got his Game Genie. He could now play the games in easy mode with no skill, or thought required.

That's what WOW needs, game genie cheat codes. Make the game easy enough for anyone to play regardless of skill, gear, etc. Tanks and dps can rest assured when they see someone in 312-333 gear with no enchants, or gems that everything will be ok.
Holy is very OP right now and this nerf is to be expected. Still the change really won't hurt as much as you think. No one should be casting FoL unless it is an emergency so who cares if mana goes up. HL is so cheap anyway 10% really isn't going to stop you from casting it. DL should only be cast when you get the haste proc and shouldn't be bombed so ehh.

Really other healers need a buff in a bad way. Last night in ToT4W i was doing 10khps and the other two healers combined were doing 7k and running oom. I was not going below half.

So long story short is nerf really won't hurt that much but other healers really need a buff.

BTW i have a druid and shaman that i heal with and a baby preist. They all need some love.
nerfs arent needed as much as other healers need to be buffed

its just a lazy way out for blizzard, as usual with paladins.
I had no problem healing dungeons, in fact i sat over 90% on most trash pulls and even boss pulls.

The only time i had a problem was when i jumped into heroics before my gear was ready, but even then i was just running OOM a the end of encounters(which is design)

Raiding, depending on the fight, and we have downed, magmaw, omnitron, maloriak, atramdedes, halfus, and twin dragins... Basically I always have mana at the end.

Gem for int, reforge to spirit, use judgement on CD... LOH and take potions if u have to for mana. Mana is barely an issue in raid. All this nerf is doing is bring us closer in line with the other healers.
i dont understand why they keep nerfing paladins i mean its not hard give us mana and we are good to go but they make ever spell so much to use i mean 14 Divine Lights and im oom unless u have a God Trinket Like Winds Deck For a Start but they really need to give holy Paladis there Mana Regain Back From 2 Minutes Back to 1 Minute because for 1 When we use our Mana Regain we Put On a MS(Mortal Strike 50%) Less Healing So why they hell would they make it so we only cud use OUR MS MANA REGAIN Every 2Minutes i dont understand its so stupid For us to get Mana back We Take on a MS and that Sucks In Bgs When your Trying to Keep sOmeone up Who is Dying from 3 other and They still didnt nerf Priest Mana Burn this is so dumb give us Mana we gotta Use to the farthis intencity and then our Mana Regain Sucks blizz Tightin up PLZ
one more thing i would give anything to get Sacred Shield back to the game because this Bullsh*t Absorbs sucks so bad compared to Paladins Shield IMO
my main is a holy pally n i agree why bring the mana cost up if they are going to do that then they should at leats increase the effectivness also.i also oom in heroics mana issues are big prob with holy pallys right now. so again i agree shouldn<t be upping the costs without better compensation divine plea is all great but it stiil nerfs ur healing abilities even more when u activate sonot much help
01/24/2011 8:02 PMPosted by Drekor
I feel bad for newer paladins that don't have gear trying to heal PUG heroics.

i feel the same way too. week 1 was bad, week 2 much less so.

now that we are comfortable, nerf us to the ground baby.

and lower.

AND WE WILL STILL COME BACK AND HOLY SHOCK YOUR FACE
This nerf was called for ever since they fixed Conviction
01/24/2011 6:41 PMPosted by Toxcat
Also for the record, I utilize all of my cooldowns on boss fights and still get by barely, on some fights not so much which shows the difference in fight mechanics can make all the difference, such as the Alchemist in SFK compared to the Ripsnarl fight where your dps cannot take down the adds quick enough.

Sounds to me like the dps arent pulling the weight.

The healers mana is the new enrage timer, if you and your group members are not doing everything they can to reduce the damage they take, then you are meant to run out of mana, and lose the encounter, this is intended.

This is not Wrath, it isnt your job to compensate for the slack of group members when it comes to mitigating damage.
Ever since Blizz effectively did away with Shockadins, I have been a sad panda on the inside. These changes may SEEM daunting when you're reading the numbers but I can honestly say I can't imagine the good players having too many difficulties. For easy healing, play a priest. For a fun challenge and more rewarding experience, play a paladin.

I'll always secretly yearn for those Shockadin days, but things aren't as bad as they seem. In heroics (my average iLevel is 341) I don't really have a problem managing mana unless I'm in a group full of idiots and I generally tend to avoid that. In fact, even the last boss encounter in H:SFK isn't terrible despite the curse. Paladins are built to last and I don't think these changes will honestly make a huge difference. If you're having a problem, I can guarantee it's either
A. Your tank/group is not geared/intelligent enough for the encounter.
B. You may be using the wrong rotation, over healing is for druids and shamans, remember, you're a paladin!
C. You just may not be geared enough for whatever it is you're trying to do.

All in all, tl;dr - it ain't so bad.
i @*%%ing hate blizzard, they are the scrubs.
01/25/2011 2:50 AMPosted by Paladinwtf
I support this nerf, it wasn't fair to my raids other Healers, the fact that I can outheal them without having to worry as much about my mana as them.

Now it gets more fun for us. Anyone up for a challenge? (which isn't really one.)

Troll Zzzz. Priests and druids are easily on par with paladins as it is at the moment and in some fights they can out perform them. I do notice that shamans seem a bit gimped at the moment though out of all the healers. No mana issues? There will be if this goes through on hard modes and long raid bosses that go for like 10 minutes. People are too eager to jump on this whole "wow paladins are overpowered" bandwagon. It is disappointing if this is a pvp balance issue in arenas which ends up hurting the pve'rs more due to it.
This is my second pally and he will also be holy. I do think that this nerf is going to suck, but we will all figure a way around it. They are only nerfing the mana cost, not the amount we are healing for. I know many of you would say that you judge all them time, however I"m sure that you do miss one here and there. I'm also sure that you don't blow CD's about 1/4 into your mana pool. learning to control your mana is the hardest part of being a healer. Yes better gear helps, but it is not the end all. Even in a 354 ilvl i go oom on many fights. However the cause of me going oom early in the fight is because of the need to make up for other healer not doing enough healing. This does not work the other way around. I my heals are low the raid dies.
Also making sure that with your cast time on DL is at 2 secs with JP is a must, so reforging haste and gemming with reckless needs to be done. after you reach that 2 sec cast time i would go crit. Moreover, a meta gem is not going to keep him from going oom. the gem and the bonus are not going to even = 1 cast of DL, though it would be a good idea to get one.
We all thought that the HL nerf was the end of holy pallies, but in the end it wasn't a bad idea.
This nerf has nothing to do with pve, and ever thing to do with PVP.
(Belgrath, Blackdragon Flight)