PvP: Stamina > Resilience?

Death Knight
I had thought that Resilience was supposed to be the best defensive stat for everyone in PvP, but from my looking around it looks like Stamina is better, at least for Death Knights.
Since it's a primary stat, you can only get extra Stamina through Gems/Enchants/Inscriptions, which is what I'm referring to here. It seems terrible to choose Resilience over Stamina in those cases.

Stamina is itemized to give 50% more points than Resilience. This means a gem could give either 40 Resilience or 60 Stamina.
On my own character, it seems that every 100 points of Resilience gives 1% damage reduction in PvP, whereas every point of Stamina we all know gives 14 health.
So 40 Stamina would give 560 health, and 40 Resilience would reduce all damage taken by 0.4%.
An average non-tank amount of health would be 120,000.
560 is 0.46% of 120,000.

This means that Stamina grants 0.06% more effective health than Resilience point-for-point, as well as being itemized in such a way that you get 50% more of it from enchants and such than you do Resilience, making it 0.3% more effective overall.
On top of this, after the next patch Death Knights will get great percent-based healing from Death Strike, at the very least counteracting the effectively weaker static heals given by party members.
You would need 210,000 maximum health just for the two to break even in effectiveness.

Am I missing something?
I don't know... comparing 200k health to 120k health, party and potion healing would be 60% weaker, but Death Strikes would heal for 12,000 more each (nearly as much as an Alchemist Stone boosted health potion), and the effective health granted through gems/enchantments etc would be 57% more effective.
No.
The thing is, you're assuming you're in control of your character all of the time, and anyone who has ever pvped can tell you otherwise. If you're getting stunlocked, you can't death strike to make up for the missing resilience; your healer(s) have to heal so much more just to keep you at the same % health than as if you had stacked res.

Also, there is the issue of spending all of your runes on DS just to make up for the missing resilience. That doesn't seem practical at all, especially for unholy DKs since DS uses different sets of runes than festering strike, resulting in left over blood runes if you do use DS. (And not enough unholy runes to do damage)
Stamina doesn't lower magical damage, and for the hp to be worthwhile, you would need to be using death strike constantly, so if ever kited, or shut down, the stamina means nothing since you aren't healing, and using death strike in general is a dps loss.
01/24/2011 8:11 PMPosted by Valsoriel
Yes.

In Arenas do you want your healer to be healing 200k HP or 120k hp?

What I mean is that it's going to take a lot more mana for a healer to heal you back to full HP if you gem/enchant stam instead of resillience.

Now after the next patch, in non-rated bgs it would be worth it to gem/enchant stam over resil for the Death Strike buff, but who does that anyway?

Oh god, you're giving people advice again. Please stop.
01/24/2011 8:46 PMPosted by Catdaddy
Stamina doesn't lower magical damage, and for the hp to be worthwhile, you would need to be using death strike constantly, so if ever kited, or shut down, the stamina means nothing since you aren't healing, and using death strike in general is a dps loss.

Stamina does affect magic damage.
I can see what people are getting at though with Death Strike being difficult to use.
Death Strike healing improves at an equal rate to the reduction of effective party healing, and party healing is much more plentiful.
That only compares the healing though. I still wonder how much of an impact the 57% extra effective health from gems/enchants would have.
You would be some amount tougher overall, but your rate of recovery would be lower depending on how much backup you have.

I'm more interested in Frost than anything else. I'd like to know how well the two might even out. Especially since Frost in particular, on top of being able to use Death Strike a little more easily, is built around having fights end more quickly.
Stop wondering.

Stamina is a linear gain.

Resilience is an exponential one.

Issue resolved.
01/24/2011 9:01 PMPosted by Shayleah
Stop wondering.

Issue resolved.

Over 5 years of WoW forums teaches you a valuable lesson.

There is no god damn logic here.
01/24/2011 9:03 PMPosted by Kailee
Stop wondering.

Issue resolved.

People are retarded.

Fixt
01/24/2011 9:06 PMPosted by Shayleah

People are retarded.

Fixt

That's not a forum restriction >_>
01/24/2011 9:06 PMPosted by Dragneil
Shayleah and Kailee in the same thread?!?!?

We're gettin e-married.
I know there's a point that Resilience would become better in every way, but it looked to me like it would be better to stack a fair amount of Stamina first. Is Stamina just always a worse choice, or does it happen quickly?
The only potential argument you could make for stamina is if you knew beforehand that you were going to be fighting melee only and went full pve tank spec with armor/stam to raid boss them.
In most cases the two aren't even in direct competition with each other. I'm just wondering if, in the few occasions they are, if Stamina is the better choice. Because according to my math, you would need a decent amount of it stacked up before it starts becoming worse.
I'm not asking if it's a good idea to ignore Resilience and start loading Stamina to the teeth.
Stamina does not help healing at all.
sorrry double post
Resiliance makes every incoming heal effectively X% more effective as well as effectively making your starting hp pool X% more effective...

120k hp x 1% = effectively 1,200 more hp (95 resil = 1%)

Couple this w the fact healers are throwing out healing amounts in the millions >.>

Resilience does make every point of stam more effective though...so those pvp upgrades w 40 stam are actually quite large when coupled with the increase in effectiveness by resil

Also cloak enchant = spell pen
3 blue slots in pvp gear set = spell pen gems

Hopefully I answered your question. Logically?