Tabard Spam...

General Discussion
Prev 1 15 16 17 19 Next
01/25/2011 12:47 PMPosted by Stompcow
I love how we got the key ring, and right after that they removed key requirements for most stuff. I know they will make the sake mistake twice.

And why is everything a tabard? Is it so hard to make another model? A sash perhaps? A tunic? An apron even... Something! Anything but another tabard!
TOGA TOGA TOGA!!! xD

but yeah I was 1 key away from that achievement(was hated by goblins so couldnt obtain the stupid skeleton key >.<) when they removed the other keys sadly..
01/25/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
This is something we've been looking into for a while, and we're confident that we'll be able to implement a feature sometime in the future that gives players a better storage solution for their tabards. We're not sure if that feature will be a cosmetic tab or a drop-down list similar to titles just yet, though; there's still several factors that we need to consider carefully (certain tabards have on-use abilities, for example, which makes storing them a bit more complicated) before we can settle on the best course of action.
We hope, we aren't sure, we have to consider.... To me, sounds like it's behind the back burner at this point. (Proud owner of ~40 tabards)
Dude ... I lost count of the number of times I suggested a coat-rack / hanger in the suggestion forums ...

The coat-rack / hanger would function exactly like your keyring except be a part of the bank. Blizz would have to change the upper limit of the key ring class so and make a spot for it to sit on the bank page but it would be perfect. also why they are at it you could adapt it to allow shirts as well.
I think a menu just like our titles menu would great. Simple drop down menu, choose your tabard and on your way. No extra bags or UI button, just right there on character panel.
01/25/2011 3:45 PMPosted by Lylirra
We're not trying to over complicate the situation, but if we're looking at adding a new feature, we want to make sure it's meaningful and appropriate for the game in the long-term. (Or, you know, at least try to.)

Right now, we're considering a variety of options because we agree that tabard storage would be great, and some of those options extend beyond simply adding another bank slot -- not because they're complex, but because we believe they'll make the most sense and feel the best when you're in game.

Use the Glyphs Interface style. Tabards appear on the right, the ones you have are 'lit up'..on the the left is a preview screen that lets you look at the tabard, maybe even on a posed version of your toon.

Click on the tabard to select/preview, click again to make final selection.

Done. Ok... next issue....

01/29/2011 1:21 PMPosted by Cozzene
This is something we've been looking into for a while, and we're confident that we'll be able to implement a feature sometime in the future that gives players a better storage solution for their tabards. We're not sure if that feature will be a cosmetic tab or a drop-down list similar to titles just yet, though; there's still several factors that we need to consider carefully (certain tabards have on-use abilities, for example, which makes storing them a bit more complicated) before we can settle on the best course of action.
We hope, we aren't sure, we have to consider.... To me, sounds like it's behind the back burner at this point. (Proud owner of ~40 tabards)

note... he said that it is something "we've been looking into for a while" meaning ... it aint gonna happen xD thats blizzard speech for ya
If this was mentioned somewhere in the thread im sorry if i missed it, but an i think a good solution would be a "keyring style" storage bag for tabards. The keyring bag is ever growing depending on how many keys you have, so it would seem that this would be at least a good jump off point for what would be a final solution.
Please ensure, that whatever path you take, that it allows us to carry ALL of our tabards with us so that we can change on-the-fly.

It would be a total pain in the ass to have to go back and forth to the bank to grab tabards.

Thank You

why is everything a tabard? Is it so hard to make another model? A sash perhaps? A tunic? An apron even... Something! Anything but another tabard!
TOGA TOGA TOGA!!! xD

I have to agree with this as well. I'm a little tired of tabards. I was really keen on the idea of the overcloak. Shame that this was scrapped.

Also, this may be slightly off-subject - but being able to dye your gear a different color would be amazing.
Seems to me the solution is a learned skill, you have now learned to communicate to some degree with the current faction and may champion their causes, as your rep increases so does your gain rate. ok that last part was pure dreaming...
What i think would probably work the best is if we equipped the blank tabard.

and when you get a new tabard you learned it like a spell and you could choose the look of tabard from a drop down like the one for titles. The tabards with a use feature would come with a spell associated with the tabard but requires you to be wearing it like trinkets.
Further more we could have a tab similar to the one for companions to view them without putting them on. Another way to stop over use of special use tabards (ones with ports etc) when you click the spell if you arent wearing the tabard it would equip it but with a short timer for the buff activation or use ability que.
Heck some diversity of tabard design would be nice in shape and overall look simular to cloaks not every cloak is exactly the same shape and length.

I really liked the overcloak thing they were working on.

I personally love the look of Arthus or the lich kings cloak with the upper bulk on the sholders and tattered bottom.

What i dont get is why all the Specifically named weapons and items look like brand new things not the worn heirlooms they really are. No legendary axe should be flawless and shiny it should be bloody and worn
I don't know if anyone posted this idea yet, but if you could change the tabard slot in the equipment window to something similar to the Warlock Demon Summons Button, in witch you click it and a Drop Down Menu appears listing the demons you can summon.

So you click your Tabard Button and boom your tabards are listed and you can click the one you want to wear.

Awesome right? Sure it could get to a ridiculous size, but it can be tweaked....

01/27/2011 8:32 PMPosted by Persephanie
What about giving us a "wardrobe" at a tailors?
Functionally same as a bank, but more appropriate for "clothing" type items. Could even be used for people who collect gear sets from old dungeons etc.

YES! A CLOTHING WARDROBE!!!! EPIC IDEA!! Although, This might not work for the tabard thing, I mean yes it would if you want to keep your tabard in your "wardrobe"/bank but most people want to keep the tabards on hand, wich causes the issue with your wardrobe idea. While i totally agree it would be GREAT for gear RP sets, unfortunately having the ability to access your wardrobe on the fly is I believe what people are looking for... Now you could take this idea and tweak it bit.

Take for example the argent gruntlings' pony bridle, that you can summon. He acts as a vendor, bank, and mailbox. Or another example is the goblins Hobgoblin (bank). What if there was a pack mule. That when purchased (achievement granted) acts as an additional storage for clothing items only. Say for example RP gear, and tabards. That way you are not using up extra bags, its accessible on the fly, and if blizz really wanted to tie in achievements with it you could get achievements for getting more (bag slots) "hangers" and maybe even a Fashionista title for unlocking them all? It could be fun. Like Alex at blizz con said "How excited are you to play World of Dress Craft?"

This is really the best solution, I mean, An extra key ring would be nice, but it wouldn't work because of the "use tabard" function. This Idea also incorporates all those Holiday outfits we stock up on as well! Think about how many bag slots you have dedicated to holiday junk? I mean we have Noble Garden outfit, Brewfest outfit, Midsummer Fire Festival outfit, (all of which require being purchased for holiday achievements.) Why not just throw them all into your wardrobe? Get them out when you need them? Honestly how often do you switch threw your tabards? Every instance a different one? No. I doubt it. You wear one till your rep is exalted then you move on to the next. keeping guild tabard on hand tho. ^_^ But still. I do believe we are in Desperate need of a wardrobe!
What I don't understand is, why isn't a Mount/Companion-style tab already an option? It doesn't matter that some tabards have on-use effects - just use the appropriate tabard spell in your spellbook, which then replaces your current tabard with the new one, which can than be used if it has such an effect. Very simple, no mess, no fuss.

I fear it'll break a tiny bit of Outfitter-like addons' functionality, and possibly the in-game outfit functions, but that can be easily gotten around with macros until the addons catch up.

Simple solution to a simple problem.
01/31/2011 9:34 AMPosted by Persephanie

YES! A CLOTHING WARDROBE!!!! EPIC IDEA!! Although, This might not work for the tabard thing, I mean yes it would if you want to keep your tabard in your "wardrobe"/bank but most people want to keep the tabards on hand, wich causes the issue with your wardrobe idea. While i totally agree it would be GREAT for gear RP sets, unfortunately having the ability to access your wardrobe on the fly is I believe what people are looking for... Now you could take this idea and tweak it bit.

Take for example the argent gruntlings' pony bridle, that you can summon. He acts as a vendor, bank, and mailbox. Or another example is the goblins Hobgoblin (bank). What if there was a pack mule. That when purchased (achievement granted) acts as an additional storage for clothing items only. Say for example RP gear, and tabards. That way you are not using up extra bags, its accessible on the fly, and if blizz really wanted to tie in achievements with it you could get achievements for getting more (bag slots) "hangers" and maybe even a Fashionista title for unlocking them all? It could be fun. Like Alex at blizz con said "How excited are you to play World of Dress Craft?"

This is really the best solution, I mean, An extra key ring would be nice, but it wouldn't work because of the "use tabard" function. This Idea also incorporates all those Holiday outfits we stock up on as well! Think about how many bag slots you have dedicated to holiday junk? I mean we have Noble Garden outfit, Brewfest outfit, Midsummer Fire Festival outfit, (all of which require being purchased for holiday achievements.) Why not just throw them all into your wardrobe? Get them out when you need them? Honestly how often do you switch threw your tabards? Every instance a different one? No. I doubt it. You wear one till your rep is exalted then you move on to the next. keeping guild tabard on hand tho. ^_^ But still. I do believe we are in Desperate need of a wardrobe!

I agree with this idea - most people keep all their tabards in the bank anyways - it's not like we really need 24/7 access to them the way we want access to mounts - it's for rep griding or cosmetic purposes. I'd love to have a 'wardrobe' set up at the bank, or even the inns in all major cities where I can keep tabards and non-battle clothing. You could make in purchasable or expandable too since especially with tabards, it's unlikely anyone pre-Northrend is going to need much extra tabard space anyways.
Besides tabards, if there was a way to store lots of holiday clothes, you could even set up achievements for that - "collect all five versions of the Lunar Festival garb" etc.
bumping this cause this issue has been a glaring one since TBC and i really hope there's a solution as early as 4.1. i deleted some tabards but im still drowning in them. i will admit im a pack rat and probally should be on a episode of "WoW" hoarders but im big on collecting weapons and tabards and holiday items. i just wish we had a place we could store them or even set them up in a area to show off.
This is something that I have put quite a bit of thought into as well. The idea of a "closet" of sorts for the Tabards would really help clear up some much needed space. I thought it could be implemented much like the keyring for our keys. It could pop up (or out like the new mage portal set up) with a small version of all the tabard logos and of course tell you which it was and what it was for as you hover over it allowing you to click it into your bag for use or disposal.
Everything in WoW is just an ID#. But there are different categories of IDs, and they are handled differently by the game. The hard issue for the devs here isn't deciding what the interface should look like, but how to handle a bunch of IDs that are currently item IDs, some of which are required to cast certain spells (Use effects), and some of which cast certain spells when they are equipped (Equip effects, such as rep bonuses). That's as complicated as most of the tabards get (there is one with a duration: Enchanted Illidari Tabard), but it's enough to make changing things complicated.

Items take up room in a specific memory structure. I believe all your items, whether equipped, in the bank, or on your keyring, are all in different places in the same structure. I believe this is a fixed-size structure, and... this is probably something they're loathe to alter, since it would involve rebuilding the entire character database, and increase its size substantially. Server maintenance indeed. Increasing the size of this table probably has an effect on every item transaction performed, or at least searches on a character's inventory. And I don't believe they've altered the size of this structure in a long time, if ever. The largest bags possible has probably been 36 since the very beginning. Banks have not increased in size either.

Giving players another list of learned spells has been done before, and probably involves a similar process, but doesn't increase the burden on item transactions. However, in the past, this has only been done with items that were not worn, but were only used to cast spells (mounts and companions). Changing those items so that they taught you those spells, rather than cast them, was relatively simple.

Tabards, however, are worn. They need to remain items, unless appearance code changes. They could perhaps be stored still as items, but in a new item storage, but that would require changes to the item management code. Nothing is as simple as it seems.

So, of their choices, they can:
1) Give characters extra inventory space, restricted to only hold tabards, with possibly drastic repercussions on their database and inventory response times, only to have players run out of room again when they hit whatever arbitrarily-chosen static limit.
2) Alter the character appearance code so that tabards can be spells, moving the Equip and Use effects somewhere else, or linking it all together in some way.
3) Have players learn spells that conjure the existing tabard items. They could also make it so that conjuring a tabard automatically equips it, and destroys the one that is currently equipped.
4) Something else entirely, probably requiring even more drastic code rewrites, but providing additional functionality, such as the various requested wardrobe / cosmetic appearance features.

I think #3 is probably the best short-term solution. The existing solution (tabard vendors) don't quite fill the need, both in terms of being inconvenient, expensive, and only supplying a limited subset of the available tabards. Still, this solution requires fiddling with a number of item IDs (94, according to http://us.battle.net/wow/en/item/?classId=4&subClassId=0&invType=19), moving their properties to new IDs, creating new spells to conjure those new IDs, and changing the old IDs to teach you those new spells. Par for the course, and still far less work than any of the other methods suggested, on the rare occasion that they even considered the underlying structures that WoW uses.

Long-term, it would be nice to store more cosmetic / vanity / RP items. I periodically have to review my bank, and go through an excruciating process of determining what irreplaceable item to destroy next to make space.