Tabard Spam...

General Discussion
Prev 1 7 8 9 19 Next
Hasn't Blizzard been "planning" to implement a tabard UI for like 2 years now?
01/25/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
This is something we've been looking into for a while, and we're confident that we'll be able to implement a feature sometime in the future that gives players a better storage solution for their tabards. We're not sure if that feature will be a cosmetic tab or a drop-down list similar to titles just yet, though; there's still several factors that we need to consider carefully (certain tabards have on-use abilities, for example, which makes storing them a bit more complicated) before we can settle on the best course of action.

How would a solo instance room like from fable 3, you can place all your outfits (tier gear) on display as well as store your tabards.
Could be a good gold sink (rent, house maintenance)

Just have it for old tier set/weapons/tabard storage and not a place people will hang out all day.
Couldn't we just get a pulldown for tabards on the character window tabard slot, and tabard use abilities put in our spellbook?
01/25/2011 3:45 PMPosted by Lylirra
For this, give us a huge bank slot or bag or keyring equivalent and then make something pointlessly complex if you wish.

We're not trying to over complicate the situation, but if we're looking at adding a new feature, we want to make sure it's meaningful and appropriate for the game in the long-term. (Or, you know, at least try to.)

Right now, we're considering a variety of options because we agree that tabard storage would be great, and some of those options extend beyond simply adding another bank slot -- not because they're complex, but because we believe they'll make the most sense and feel the best when you're in game.

Exactly this. And I wish that Blizzard would start recognizing it.

We're not against interim solutions on principle by any means, especially if we feel they're worthwhile. It's just that we have to tread lightly and always be mindful of what happens to those stopgaps once the final product is released.

While I perfectly understand the whole "Do it right or not at all" type of thinking, sometimes it's better to meet a middle ground. Would it really be such a bad thing to add a large bag specifically for tabards as a temporary solution? The tabards already take the bag space anyway. Why would it be a bad thing to make them take less overall general storage space at the cost of a single bank slot, VS taking up the entire capacity of 3 or 4 bank slots?
Wouldn't the ideal solution to be a new bag similar to the "Keyring"? A bag that expands automatically as you get more tabards, allowing them to stay items so that those tabards which have a 'use' while equipped are able to remain items?
Ok, so, we have these things called "Tabard Vendors". Strange concept, right? Well, let's make it stranger.
Have these vendors show all tabards available to you at all times. Change all non-guild tabards to BoP (if they're not already). Now, here comes the tricky part: They're only available provided you've earned the appropriate achievement, done the appropriate quest, have the required reputation, looted the tabard, or have given that goblin in Booty Bay the proper code.
But wait! There's more! The tabards with any kind of currency cost are only paid for once. After the fee is paid, you can delete the tabard, and reacquire it at no cost.

No tabard tab, no tabard keyring, no changes to anything except tabard vendors. The basics are already in there, in both tabard vendors and guild vendors. Perhaps, optionally, there could be a device that summons a tabard vendor every couple hours.

Engineering: Tabard Manipulator
Binds when used
Requires all the current tools to build
Requires an obscene amount of materials to build
No engineering requirement to use
Use: Summons a Tabard Manipulator for 10 minutes every [1-12] hours. This item is not consumed when used.
01/25/2011 1:00 PMPosted by Lylirra
A 75 slot tabard only bag and bank slot doesn't sound any more complicated than a 32 slot mining bag.

Is that really the most elegant solution, though? It might be quickest and simplest, but that doesn't mean there aren't better alternatives available. If we can implement a type of storage that's integrated into the character UI and doesn't take up extra bank space, then that would be ideal.
That option might not be technically possible due to the way some tabards work, but it's something we're investigating.

Are you referring to an appearance tab for cosmetic gear options?

No, but I can see the confusion. I just mean an additional tab that's superficial or non-essential (the literal definition of "cosmetic").

Why not do both? Create an 'x' slot tabard bag and then later work on having something like a special UI element (like the keyring) for tabards.

Doing both would:
A) Alleviate current frustration players have with an excess of these type of cosmetic items.
B) Allow you to develop the feature without pressure.
C) Make posts like this, hopefully, disappear from the forums and Blizzcon Q&A.
Convert each tabard into a spell that summons the exact same item currently in game. The only changes that would need to be made is changing them all to be soulbound and have no vendor sell price. The summon spells are what would then show up on the new tabard tab. It shouldn't take very long to edit the data for a few dozen items, tops.

When a user says that, they have no idea what goes into writing a program. Just add this button should not take more then 5 minutes, but they never think about all the stuff that needs to be put in place to make such a button work.
01/25/2011 10:06 AMPosted by Get
exhaulted

apparently, a few escaped the vaccinations.
For this, give us a huge bank slot or bag or keyring equivalent and then make something pointlessly complex if you wish.

We're not trying to over complicate the situation, but if we're looking at adding a new feature, we want to make sure it's meaningful and appropriate for the game in the long-term. (Or, you know, at least try to.)

I work for an Internet Marketing company as a Product Designer / Analyst, and this is the same type of argument we constantly get into between my department (QA / Design) and the developers. Simple solution vs Awesome solution.

As a designer, I prefer the awesome solution :)
Yeah I love that idea of having a junction tab for tabards. They do take up alot of space in the bank.^_^
We're not against interim solutions on principle by any means, especially if we feel they're worthwhile. It's just that we have to tread lightly and always be mindful of what happens to those stopgaps once the final product is released.

Lol'd
Yeah, a window tab along side spells, profession, mount, and pets makes more sense actually. Kind of laid out like mounts/pets, with the tabard selected being shown on a dressing room/model viewer of your character.

Then make a button we can macro to or drag to the action bar (or just use in the spellbook like we do now with having to use the char window, whatever the player wants), like the ones on the profession tab, that just uses any tabard selected's effect. Kind of like a trinket macro that you don't have to update, since it's saved to the slot rather than the item.
Easy solution, make a clothesline.

I work for an Internet Marketing company as a Product Designer / Analyst, and this is the same type of argument we constantly get into between my department (QA / Design) and the developers. Simple solution vs Awesome solution.

As a designer, I prefer the awesome solution :)

As the customer, I'd just prefer A solution, hopefully sometime sooner than "soon(tm)"
Consider this: How frequently do you see posts saying, "I want a more elegant version of the keyring"?

Honestly, it's getting disheartening to see all this talk from blues about how they are talking about talking about solving the problem.