PvP ret tips, 4.0.3 what I see anyways.

Paladin
Hey Guys/Gals,
I've been reading lots of posts of Paladins complaining about how gimped we are and what not. I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on what I’ve seen. I mainly pvp, granted I’m not an omg 2k+ rating! guy but I can do real well on bgs.

Anyways. I personally don’t think ret PvP is as gimped as people say it is. I do recognize we are really proc dependent and that the fact that our AW keeps being dispelled right now are our biggest pit falls.

But yeah on BG's I mainly try and use BoM and Seal of Insight most of the time. The fact that we get so much mana back by using judgements is great IMO.

One of the things I recommend you do is taking a good look at your talent tree. For example if you look at mine I personally chose to pick survivability talents. Like Eternal Glory & Divinity on the Protection talent tree.

Yeah I know Ret is a DPS spec and some of us can get reckless and think "NO IM DPS I DONT NEED TO BE CASTING HEALS!!" but the truth is that in the end we still are a Hybrid class.

So to this I recommend you use Word of Glory (a lot!!!) especially on other friendly players. I cannot tell you how many times I have gone like "OMGWTHROFLBBQSAUCEONTHEFACE!" when I help somebody by healing them 49k yes I did say that right 49k with a word of glory and then have Eternal glory proc and guess what? Another 30k+ heal on that target. Especially if they are the target of what you are trying to kill!! Plus it’s really good to heal yourself!

Also, if you notice yourself around 60%ish health and don’t have or don’t want to use your Holy power on yourself try and hide behind an LoS Bump and spam Flash of Light on yourself. It does cost some mana but it shouldn’t matter much if you have seal of insight active. Just cast a judgement and watch your mana come back up.

I do not know about a lot of you guys but I tend to use Divine Protection A LOT! Pretty much I become the main target and I am full on health. (Watch out for them warriors and their darn colossus smash!) It’s the only thing alongside resilience that can help you survive.

Another thing I recommend is, If you find yourself in trouble don’t be afraid of kiting!! Yes it works surprisingly great with cleanse/hand of freedom and the Long arm of justice talent!

Also if you find yourself being targeted by 4+ enemy players, don’t be afraid to bubble! Hopefully you're not the only one there and they'll change targets. If you can try and repentance one to get some of the heat slown down.

A thing I'd like to point out that even I consider myself to be pretty bad about it sometimes is: Try and not be so trigger happy with your Avenging Wrath (Wings). Especially if you're attacking healers (ugh druids!). You need to start becoming a bit more watch full and not pop the wings when they are at full health (or in their darn tree form). So Just try and wait for what you think is the perfect moment to catch them.

I personally wait till I have 2 or 3 charges of holy power do "Repentance->Wings (Macro'd with my Str Trinket since they share the same CD timer)->HoW->BE Racial Silence->Judgement/Cr Strike (if I don’t have 3 charges of HP)-> Hammer of Justice-> Templar's Verdict-> HoW(by now HoW cd should've reset or be close to) Basically you can go crazy on them now. If at any time within this your Art of War Procs USE IT!!!. Usually it works out well enough to where they died. If not keep practicing your timing with the BBQSAUCEROLLFACE sequence. (which IMO is the funnest part lol)

Just so you know I do think that ret is really gear dependent. SPECIALLY weapon wise (since our big hitters except HoW are based off weapon dmg). Getting the PvP 2-hander is fairly easy this time around I personally am glad it’s a whole lot easier especially for classes like ours. But it takes at least 3 weeks (unless you decide to try and get your rating above 1300ish so that you get more points the 2nd week) to get the two hander (which goes by pretty fast IMO).
--Continued Below

But yeah I think our survivability is pretty high/decent overall atm (at least with some gear).
Another weakness is that we can’t really seem or at least have a lot of trouble when trying to catch up with someone (ugh how I hate this lol). Sometimes our damage does seem kind of low especially when we don’t get any procs. What you may find a bit aggravating (which in case you didn’t know is the same with all classes) is the fact that you HAVE to play somewhat defensive cuz when you don’t and you get consciously careless you'll see and you'll tell yourself: "darn, maybe I should have used WoG instead of that Templar’s Verdict". Hey don’t feel bad, it happens to me all the time so rinse and repeat away! :)

On 4.0.6 things seem to be looking good for us on our dmg output. The fact that we're getting buffed in all honesty kind of scares me and I do hope blizzard did us cautiously (that way it don’t bite us in the rear xD)

As I said our class is gear dependent (IMO) but too often I see too many rets that are geared who are not doing close to how much they could and should be doing. Hopefully this post helps you a bit on fixing how you should be acting overall and in general against most classes during a BG and if so it will also help you enjoy ret a bit more.

One thing I would like to ask to the readers is that if you find anything within this post helpful (meaning it helps you understand things a bit better) please give it a thumbs up! If you see someone posting something that will derail the conversation/thread PLEASE give them a thumbs down so that their post hopefully gets hidden/buried.

Other than that I'd like to thank you for reading my post and if you have any other helpful hints/suggestions/tricks that make you go "Haha! I got you! Man I love every time I get someone with this" (on a PvP situation) Please share!!! I probably could use a tip or two! Have a good day :)

TL;DR --- I suggest you find some time and patience to read it. It may help you understand ret PvP a bit better.
good effort but your logic is flawed there is a massive difference between BG's and arena.

1. huge gaps in gear/experience.
2. players are not focused on you, means you can fly under the radar
3. i hate to say it but until you play at 1700+ ratings you wont feel the difference as much
4. problem is lack of damage (outside of wings) and defense. damage creates pressure > opportunities. having a weak defense means you require more healing/attention which could of been used better on something else.
5. Your role can easily be replaced by any other dps class and the team will do better because of it
6. Current PRT buff are much needed, we still have some issues but at least Blizz is moving in the right direction.
7. Read some more solid arguments that will explain to you better whats wrong. do some test, and then post
01/27/2011 7:23 AMPosted by Fimka
good effort but your logic is flawed there is a massive difference between BG's and arena.

1. huge gaps in gear/experience.
2. players are not focused on you, means you can fly under the radar
3. i hate to say it but until you play at 1700+ ratings you wont feel the difference as much
4. problem is lack of damage (outside of wings) and defense. damage creates pressure > opportunities. having a weak defense means you require more healing/attention which could of been used better on something else.
5. Your role can easily be replaced by any other dps class and the team will do better because of it
6. Current PRT buff are much needed, we still have some issues but at least Blizz is moving in the right direction.
7. Read some more solid arguments that will explain to you better whats wrong. do some test, and then post

I think I know what you're saying here and the biggest thing I agree with is your #5. I'm not sure but I guess I wasn't very good at getting to what I was trying to get at on my post. Meaning on the "What I see" part. I don't think its as bad as some people paint it. Yes it does require some skill to do good with ret but then again if it didnt it wouldn't be much fun either.

But yeah Ret does need help in the way we put out damage and with the fact that we have to sacrifice dmg in order to heal/stay alive.
I personallly have not played the 4.0.6 PTR since I rather being on the live server and trying to make some "progress" which I wont lose once PTR closes. So most of what I posted was based of my experience on the 4.0.3/live. Regarding the 1700+ rating comment I've been on the playing arena long enough to have been able to see the sky to earth difference.

The reason why I didn't want to go too much into arena in my post was because of all the strategy involved in the different make ups and not only that but also how synergized you are with your arena partner. It really would take a lot of posting to make a guide that in depth and it would never be 100% accurate. Thx for the feedback though.
The reason i use arena as my focus point is because you are facing players in a smaller environment with all cds up and similar gear/experience (once you start hitting the mmr wall).

You can have perfect strategy but when you are getting hit by a warrior/DK/druid/mage/etc.... and i loose half your health in 2-3 shots there is very little you can do to stay alive
I agree ret does fine in BG, especially if you take the time to gear yourself. But the problem is like has been stated it is a lot different, ret becomes painful when you get into arena, especially once you get high enough to where you can start getting more conquest points.
Selfless Healer is fantastic in BGs though, it's true.
I agree with all of yall (that sounded weird idk it just came out like that). I just wanted to help the people that feel like they cant do anything at least on bg's. I've been there before and it is really frustrating when you find yourself letting go of your mouse and keyboard and pointing at the screen saying "Omg, look at that. There's nothing I could do!". ugh! lol.

But yeah its good to see at least some people are actually aware of the situation.