Shadow PvP: Legion Season 1

Priest
Prev 1 13 14 15 22 Next
Interesting,

This is the first place i saw mastery > crit since cata days.
Does it apply for arena and rbg?

I think i will try.

Thanks
anyone have an answer to this:
12/12/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Nosferâtu
is there, and if so are we going to see a soft Mastey Cap, where we then can once again step into Crit, to min max our masety procs.

I'm stacking mostly Mastery, with pleasing results, but I wonder at what point (if any) more mastery might not be as good as adding crit.
It's nice to finally read mastery>crit. I thought I was going crazy when I was researching and could only find that people were saying mastery was useless. Needless to say, I went a little crazy and went mastery all the way with enchanting and reforging; raising my mastery to 27.38%. I feel that I am doing more damage (especially when I dot up a group of people) and can't click the instant casts quick enough. I have noticed that I've lost a little of my burst but I am having fun for now.

thanks, for the post
12/27/2012 06:46 PMPosted by Ciphilis
I went a little crazy and went mastery all the way with enchanting and reforging; raising my mastery to 27.38%. I feel that I am doing more damage (especially when I dot up a group of people) and can't click the instant casts quick enough. I have noticed that I've lost a little of my burst but I am having fun for now.

I guess I've gone a lot crazy, my mastery is at 33.57 - I think maybe I've overdone it. lol
Still, if I can get my dots ticking on 3 or more targets, the instant casts are almost continuous. Fun when being chased by a DK.

Even so, I'm going to try to increase my haste and crit, see what effect that has on the fun.
Hear me out. In cases of Flash Heal and Procs from From Darkness, Comes Light, Wouldn't Crit-Strike be the better choice
Do you think that the changes to Glyph of Mind Spike remove it from the top 3 glyphs?
Thanks for u r guide.
Lovely guide. I hope it gets sticked. Thanks, Merrik.
Do you think that the changes to Glyph of Mind Spike remove it from the top 3 glyphs?

Yes. Though situational if you get locked out of Shadow you can always Mind Spike your target and get the proc. But it's mostly useless now. I've decided to go with ProM glyph so that I can have increased healing on myself. Since they keep nerfing our ability to heal.
Last Update: November 12, 2012. Guide not complete.

Gemming
Meta Socket: Burning Primal Diamond
Red Socket: Mysterious Imperial Amethyst or Perfect Mysterious Roguestone
Yellow Socket: Vivid Wild Jade or Perfect Vivid Alexandrite
Blue Socket and Belt Prismatic: Stormy River's Heart or Perfect Stormy Lapis Lazuli

Note:
-Jewel Crafters, the only change is to use Brilliant Serpent's Eye in Red Socket.
-There is no Serpent's Eye for PvP Power.

Just an update on the Serpent's Eye (JC only).
You can now (5.2) learn the following patterns from the Jade Forest jewelcrafting trainer:
160 primary stat +320 PVP Resilience
160 primary stat +320 PVP Power
Any one can heal ... But can you kill some one in heal spec and gear? I can. ^.^'
Sorry for not updating this in awhile. I've been out for almost this entire semester doing pre-Nursing classes. I'll update everything once I get a free moment.

Thank you everyone for keeping this alive for the entire community. <3

-Merrik
=================================================
The OLD secondary stat priority 5.0 for historical keeping.

THIS DOES NOT APPLY ANYMORE. IT IS ONLY FOR REFERENCE.
=================================================

Mastery over Crit? Huh?
Since the change to what our Mastery does, Mastery has taken precedence over Crit. In a summarized list, here is why:

1) Rating to Percentage conversions favor Mastery. You pay less for more.
Mastery (333.42 Rating = 1%), Critical Strike (598.27 Rating = 1%)

2) Critical Strike does 200% bonus damage and affects all damaging abilities. However as seen below, Mastery only directly affects five abilities. The hidden power of Mastery lies a bit deeper...

3) Our Mastery DIRECTLY affects SW:Pain, Vampiric Touch, Devouring Plague, Mind Flay, and Mind Sear. But it also INDIRECTLY affects Shadowy Apparitions, Mind Blast, Mind Spike, and Shadow Orbs (which in turn affects Psychic Horror and Devouring Plague[a second time]) in a unique way.

3A) When it affects SW;P, VT, DP, MF, and MS, it does so directly by dealing damage twice. This is akin to a Critical Strike.
Here's where it gets interesting.

- When an extra SW:Pain procs from Mastery, it spawns another Shadowy Apparition (up to 3).
- When an extra SW:Pain procs from Mastery, it can activate your Tier 5 talent Divine Insight (more Mind Blast procs).
- More Mind Blast procs means more Shadow Orbs.
- More Shadow Orbs means having Psychic Horror ready more often when it is off CD.
-More Shadow Orbs means more Damage and Healing from Devouring Plague.
-When an extra VT procs from Mastery, it can activate your Tier 3 talent FDCL (more Mind Spike procs).
- More Mind Spike procs coupled with Glyph of Mind Spike means more instant Mind Blast when it is on CD.
- Finally all of these extra DoT tiks CAN critically strike.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

-----{This post begins official Season 13 discussions.}-----
---------------------------13APR13---------------------------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
PvP Power doesn't hold a candle to Resilience or Intellect.

320 Resilience mitigates approximately twice as much damage as 320 PvP increases it.

80 Int > 160 PvP Power. (Slightly)

There is never "enough" Resilience (as the guide suggests) and spriests should be stacking as much Resilience as they can get.
PvP Power doesn't hold a candle to Resilience or Intellect.

320 Resilience mitigates approximately twice as much damage as 320 PvP increases it.

80 Int > 160 PvP Power. (Slightly)

There is never "enough" Resilience (as the guide suggests) and spriests should be stacking as much Resilience as they can get.

Thanks for the input. During my hiatus a few things changed that I had to catch up on coupled with some important facts such as this I needed to reconfirm.

I was skittish to point out "stack resilience" with the resilience change in 5.3 becoming baseline. But it is a valid point.

I'll be modifying more today, I just completed the mathematics for a full S13 Tyrannical set locking in our stats with hit as close as 6.01%. Although this guide is more meant for beginners, I think I still have enough space to add the other set.

EDIT: I just ran some more numbers and it looks like in full Tyrannical going from "NOT gemming/enchanting Resilience" to "gemming/enchanting FOR resilience" (without breaking socket bonus') gives,

+4.7% Resilience
-7.25% PvP Power
-1.15% Haste

Technically 3.5 Resilience changes are a buff and a hindrance. For us, we'll go up a free ~1.5% resilience, but so will everyone else who is in full S12 Malevolent or better. We'll have slightly more survivability no matter how we gem/enchant, but so will everyone else.

The change will only help new, under geared people to PVP. And make those who gain the most from socketing ALL resilience even more of a PITA.

Now with the talk of +DMG% to flag carriers, Tank specs will only be viable for guarding nodes. The new choice FC will be a DemoLock with Dark Apotheosis gemmed/enchanted for FULL Resilience in every possible way including breaking socket bonus'.
Technically, the stat priority varies upon what you are doing; as well as the talent priority.

Arena: Hit > Haste > Crit > Mastery ~ Crit is more valued because you rely upon crit for your burst phase.
Arena also has a changed skill priority against healers that can dispel devouring plague (like any competant team with a paladin or Mwmonk)

Psyfiend or Tendrils
Body & Soul if running against a caster cleave (easier to get a SW-P then run back and LoS their cast Plus the peals it gives to your team is really beneficial)
FDCL vs Insanity: FDCL still is immensely good in arena's simply because people RARELY purge you and the extra 65K's they both hit help more than a channeled insanity that if you get interupted out of, you're dead.
Angelic Bulwark helps out your healer, since people can rarely pull off an effective spectral guise.
Divine Insight vs Power Infusion If you're going against ANY team with a mage, or any classes that can dispel you. Power infusion becomes WORTHLESS simply because it WILL be purged off, or worse, stolen by the mage to increase his burst crazily. DI gives you the passive MB's if you are being tunneled.
Divine Star The heals DS provides outweigh cascade or halo.

The stat priority for BG's differs entirely for RBGs simply because of what our mastery provides.
Hit > Haste > Mastery > Crit ~ Master is more valued for the increased mana regen and DI procs, as well as the dots ticking twice giving us most of the damage.

You need to remember spriests main value in RBGS currently is to dot everything, throw out a halo or cascade, and mass dispel ON COOLDOWN to purge the team of 1 buff, or alleviate all their dot damage from your team.. with the exception if theres an affliction warlock you'd need to be careeful to not get 1 shot from Ua's; and be mindful of when hpallys/mages will bubble to instantly dispel it.

Skill set:
Psyfiend it was buffed to only fear a target once, unless you're running mines where tendrils are more beneficial, its not even a question.
B&S or Phantasm Whichever you believe is mpore beneficial for peeling to help a node, B&S can help if you throw a PW:S on your DK tog et him closer into the fight.
FDCL vs Insanity FDCL should always be taken on ToK and SSM because those are the two maps where games are usually spread out too far to hurt the shadow-orb generation to lead to insanity being a better bonus. Plus those mind spikes will hit the orb carriers for over 150k each vs the channeled insanity that only really messes up healers there. Any other besides the two new maps, you will be taking insanity for the best DPS increase.
Spectral Guise Used to force the enemy to drop you as a target, and used in the macro Spectral Guise -> Fade (removes you totally from combat to peel and mount instantaneously rather than waiting 10-15seconds)
Divine Insight More SW:P more chances for procs, more shadow orb generation, more insanity damage. No talent can compete.
Halo vs Cascade You need to know how your healers can handle themselves, Halo can provide +100k healing to everyone on your team as well as 20-50k hits on the enemy team. If your healers seem to be struggling in any of the games of the night, you CANNOT use cascade. If the healers are having an easy time, go Cascade to maximize AoE DPs output.

Gem Set:
Arena, gem out resilience.
RBGs, IF you are good at dropping aggro and placement (VERY FEW ARE!) then you can stack power, if you're unsure or average. Don't gimp your healers, you could always stand on their healers and fear-bomb on cooldown if you stack resilience to 68%.

Glyphs 5.2 / 5.3
I've been trying out some of the new glyphs on the PTR since we're losing 1s on MD and VS in arena's.

Major Glyphs:
1) Mass Dispel <required> removes bubbles as it does now, needed for high-end.
2) Dark Binding <requried> Allows you to renew, and PoM while remaining in shadow form.
3) <optional> ~glyphs below are listed in my personal priority~
Psychic Horror - Reduces cooldown on Psychic horror.
Mind Blast - Roots the enemy in place during a MB crit (helps melee a lot)
Leap of Faith - Removes all slows and roots on target, ensures LoF works. (wont work if target is rooted) with B&S increases their speed 60% to help them get away even easier.
Inner Sanctum - 6% less spell power damage taken.
Mind Flay - hurts team by no longer slowing targets, increases your movement speed 15% stacking up to 3x for 4 seconds.
Inner Fire - +50% armor, translates to -8% melee damage taken.
Prayer of Mending - Increases PoM healing by 60% on the first target
Renew - Glyph of renew heals more each time, cast reduced by a few seconds. (same net heal, just faster)

Minor Glyphs:
There are currently no minor glyphs required by shadow priests. All of them are cosmetic.
Although I do reccomend the glyph of Dark Archangel, who wouldn't want wings everytime they devouring plague!?
Thanks for your hard work as always Merrik!

@Lustx- great post! very helpful! Gah! Why must you be from Area-52!? I try to hate Horde from that server, lol. I'm on Exodar, perhaps the worst server for pvp.

I mostly do RBGs now and not arenas.

My positioning isn't good enough yet to use power gems, so I'm switching back to resil gems.

Divine Star can work great in Gilneas and AB to stop people from capping nodes.

What do people think about using Angelic Feathers for Temple? I could place them somewhat near orbs. It would be a great way for teammates to pick up speed and grab the orbs.

Inner sanctum could be great for Temple as well with reduced spell damage or increased speed. The speed would be great for grabbing orbs myself.

Or, I could go with Body & Soul and glyph of mind flay. I could mind flay someone for 3 stacks to get 45% speed boost, when that falls off, I could pw:shield and get a 60% boost for an additional 6 seconds. Major speed!

Am I on the right track? Is one of these a "best" option?
The stat priority for BG's differs entirely for RBGs simply because of what our mastery provides.
Hit > Haste > Mastery > Crit ~ Master is more valued for the increased mana regen and DI procs, as well as the dots ticking twice giving us most of the damage.

In my opinion I respectfully disagree with this, but not entirely. I run PI for RBGs to nuke. Macro Badge of Dominance with PI, line up 3xOrbs then when a hard kill switch is called I drop the 3xOrb DP, Badge/PI, MF Nuke until 2xSW:D. I prefer Crit over Mastery for this choice, even though Mastery does provide extra tiks. But my decision is based more on the overall Percentage per Rating gains.

Granted however no one situation dictates any one build.

Good post regardless. The main thing everyone needs to keep in mind to alter their talents, glyphs, and playstyle is,

1) RBG or Arena?
2) Your team composition.
3) Your enemies composition.
4) What map?

These can collectively make a difference. As Lustx pointed out for example, any Priest without Tendrils in SSM is making a huge error.

Zadok, I'll respond to you soon. I'm at work so my time on here is limited.

I'll be posting the Tyrannical Gear set hopefully by this weekend too. Have a great day!
FDCL seems to be working INSANELY well at the 22K spell power / 58% PvP power point..

It allows you to focus maintaining your dots, when a melee goes on you you can mind spike + MB proc him all day, and because of the high-amount of SP you get off other peoples buffs (should be around 26-27K SP) MS is hitting for 50-150K on full resilienced targets.

Insanity seems to only be worth it during clashes when its called to "kill a healer" even then, when they are gripped into a Solar Beam - Vortex it's a bit better to Psychic Horror a healer with 3 orbs inside of there (adds a 5second stun) then blanket silence him out of it.