Largest team = longest content drought

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Blizz has said that they went into WoD with the largest development team in the history of WoW. Let's compare and contrast WoD timelines compared to that of previous expansions...

Naxxramas (patch 1.11 - June 20, 2006) --> Burning Crusade (January 16, 2007) = 7 months of last patch

Sunwell Plateau (patch 2.4 - March 25, 2008) --> Wrath of the Lich King (November 13, 2008) = 8 months of last patch

Icecrown Citadel (patch 3.3 - December 8, 2009) --> Cataclysm (December, 7, 2010) = 12 months of last patch

Dragon Soul (patch 4.3 - November 29, 2011) --> Mists of Pandaria (September 25, 2012) = 10 months of last patch

Siege of Orgrimmar (patch 5.4 - September 10, 2013) --> Warlords of Draenor (November 13, 2014) = 14 months of last patch

Hellfire Citadel (patch 6.2 - June 23, 2013) --> Legion (August 30, 2016) = 14 months of last patch

So with the largest team Blizz has ever had in WoW, they've managed to simultaneously produce the least amount of content in an expansion combined with the longest content drought in the history of the game. Simply brilliant. /facepalm
Either Blizzard is investing its resources into its other IPs and moving on from WoW or given the terrible design choices that have been made in WoD the game is just under management that is running it into the ground.

Update

I want to say that in retrospect I was overly hostile in my first post and being in alpha has changed my perspective a bit. I think if everyone could spend a week or two in alpha the atmosphere on the forums would be completely different.

I recognize that Legion is being built with feedback at the forefront and I appreciate the direction the expansion is headed.

That being said I still completely agree 100% with the OP. I don't think that Blizzard talking about doubling the dev time and reducing the content drought is respectful or or professional in any way, shape or form.

Not only are the content droughts not decreasing, they're becoming worse. For Blizzard to claim they're going to fix them every single expansion is completely dishonest. It's a quote for an interview to look nice with zero substance.
Updated since we now know the Legion release date.

14 months of the last patch yet again...god this is depressing.
04/18/2016 02:14 PMPosted by Fancypantsz
Updated since we now know the Legion release date.

14 months of the last patch yet again...god this is depressing.

Don't worry, it was a number one priority of theirs after WoD launched to reduce content droughts, and it will continue to be.
it's earlier then what most people thought for the legion release, why is everyone complaining? They're doing A LOT of class changes and other content for this expansion, it doesn't just happen overnight.
Given their track record, the time between the last patch of Legion and the next expansion will be around 2 years, lol.

If you guys think they have anything other than a skeleton crew working on wow these days in favor of their much more profitable IPs, I have a bridge to sell you...
Blizzard Entertainment

More Money. Less Content. Longer Wait.
04/18/2016 02:20 PMPosted by Auid
it's earlier then what most people thought for the legion release, why is everyone complaining? They're doing A LOT of class changes and other content for this expansion, it doesn't just happen overnight.

Keep eating up all the excuses from the developers. Other games with much smaller teams can put out more content, faster, with less content droughts.
I get the sense that Warlords was essentially scrapped early on, and development for Legion has been under way for significantly longer than most would think. There is no possible way their entire team was dedicated to WoD for any acceptable amount of time, to turn out a couple good raids and a Facebook game.

edit: Also some of the worst looking tier sets ever to grace the game.
04/18/2016 02:25 PMPosted by Supercarry
I get the sense that Warlords was essentially scrapped early on, and development for Legion has been under way for significantly longer than most would think. There is no possible way their entire team was dedicated to WoD for any acceptable amount of time, to turn out a couple good raids and a Facebook game.

I am guessing WoD and Legion should have been 1 expac.
The problem is in the marketing.

As a loyal customer, I would be completely okay with these content droughts if they were put in a proper context, such as "this is how it is with a game like this", because at least then the expectations would be properly set. It's obvious that the 12+ month end tier is not a solvable problem. That's okay. But let's stop kidding ourselves in the interviews and whatnot.

It's okay to be wrong, even more than once. That said, from now on, whatever comes out of your marketing department will be rightly ignored.
11/05/2015 09:37 PMPosted by Sunday
Either Blizzard is investing its resources into its other IPs and moving on from WoW or given the terrible design choices that have been made in WoD the game is just under management that is running it into the ground.

They're pretty obviously moving away from WoW. It's not for nothing that the pretty radical expansion of Blizzard games has coincided with the decline in WoW subs. Blizzard is putting their eggs in as many baskets as they can to lessen the impact of losing WoW.

Right now their WoW business model appears to be a whole ton of hype for the new expansion to aim at a bunch of initial purchases and then try to keep people strung along with as little content as possible until the next expansion to hype up.
04/18/2016 02:27 PMPosted by Ironsaint
04/18/2016 02:25 PMPosted by Supercarry

Maybe, I'm not sure how that would work with lore or the theme though.
04/18/2016 02:22 PMPosted by Lambulance
Given their track record, the time between the last patch of Legion and the next expansion will be around 2 years, lol.

If you guys think they have anything other than a skeleton crew working on wow these days in favor of their much more profitable IPs, I have a bridge to sell you...

It could be that the new crew have no idea how to do things with code so old and full of interdependencies.

As an example my bank suffered a series of outages (not just Internet but core systems) over a few years. It turns out they fired all the old guys who were too expensive and hired a bunch of newer, cheaper IT people to do the same job.

The problem was that the systems were so archaic that the new guys were struggling to keep it running, let alone upgrade it as they had no experience of that particular system.

Food for thought?
04/18/2016 02:31 PMPosted by Kuranna
It could be that the new crew have no idea how to do things with code so old and full of interdependencies.

That was their excuse why it took so long between 5.4 and WoD. There's only so many times they can cite the "gotta train up the new guys" excuse.
04/18/2016 02:31 PMPosted by Supercarry
04/18/2016 02:27 PMPosted by Ironsaint

Maybe, I'm not sure how that would work with lore or the theme though.

It would be no different other than not leveling to 110.
04/18/2016 02:20 PMPosted by Kuatox
Don't worry, it was a number one priority of theirs after WoD launched to reduce content droughts, and it will continue to be.

Hahahahaha
04/18/2016 02:34 PMPosted by Kudger

That was their excuse why it took so long between 5.4 and WoD. There's only so many times they can cite the "gotta train up the new guys" excuse.

Why should they stop saying it? The fanboys eat it up.
04/18/2016 02:34 PMPosted by Kudger

Then obviously the project is managed like !@#$ if they have an employee turnover rate that would make Mcdonalds look good (Who just happen to make their people work xmas day.)
04/18/2016 02:22 PMPosted by Lambulance

As an example my bank suffered a series of outages (not just Internet but core systems) over a few years. It turns out they fired all the old guys who were too expensive and hired a bunch of newer, cheaper IT people to do the same job.

The problem was that the systems were so archaic that the new guys were struggling to keep it running, let alone upgrade it as they had no experience of that particular system.

Food for thought?

Not really sure how this is food for thought?

If you're suggesting that Blizzard replaced their veteran WoW developers with cheaper interns, I would say that is highly likely.

If you're suggesting that such a replacement justifies their poor performance, I would say you're out of your mind.