Fire Mage Changes...

Mage
Soooo anyone else excited that Fire gets a "Ascendance" and can cast unlimited Pyros?
I like how we can start spreading dots automatically but im gonna kinda miss old combustion because that was my main insane off the chart dmg dealer when followed by inferno blast in a boss with lots of adds around XD
Still the changes seem nice but fireball got a big cd and not to mention pyro. tho I really wanna test that new combustion mechanic
I am not seeing how we can cast unlimited pyros?
100% crit for 10 seconds, basically treat it like the old Loatheb fight where we got close to a constant flow of pyros. My only concern is how they will treat scorch and if you can still cast it on the move.
11/09/2015 11:41 AMPosted by Amanielia

Yeah, since they changed it so you can't get Heating Up while Hot Streak is active, it'll be every other spell is an instant Pyro.

Now that combustion increases your critical strike by 100% it's guaranteed that every Pyroblast you cast will have another instant Pyroblast ready. Of course you still need Inferno Blast for the second Critical Strike.
11/09/2015 11:43 AMPosted by Steehll
e they changed it so you can't get Heating Up while Hot Streak is active, it'll be every other spell is an instant Pyro.

That equates to less pyros...

11/09/2015 11:45 AMPosted by Furbullet

Now that combustion increases your critical strike by 100% it's guaranteed that every Pyroblast you cast will have another instant Pyroblast ready. Of course you still need Inferno Blast for the second Critical Strike.

So we get a pyroblast every 6 seconds... thats not every other spell lol

Also combustion isn't up 100% of the time...
No mention of snaring on ignite. With the removal of major glyphs, I guess fire is just going to be SOL in that regard?
11/09/2015 11:45 AMPosted by Sarm
No mention of snaring on ignite. With the removal of major glyphs, I guess fire is just going to be SOL in that regard?

Could be one of those pvp only talens
11/09/2015 11:46 AMPosted by Laenia

Still nice to have while soloing
11/09/2015 11:43 AMPosted by Steehll
e they changed it so you can't get Heating Up while Hot Streak is active, it'll be every other spell is an instant Pyro.

That equates to less pyros...

<span class="truncated">...</span>

So we get a pyroblast every 6 seconds... thats not every other spell lol

What you will end up doing is starting by getting an Instant Pyroblast ---> Combustion then let off the saved up one ---> off the GCD Inferno Blast ---> Instant Pyroblast ---> off the GCD Inferno Blast ---> Instant Pyroblast ---> Fireball ---> Instant Pyroblast ---> Fireball ---> Instant Pyroblast until the CD runs out since I'm assuming the Instant Pyroblast will cause you to get a Hot Streak.

Also Ignite will spread on its own which sounds like such an amazing QoL change (except for PVP where it'll break CC constantly but oh well.)

Also without having to manage silly RNG to get a good Combustion like you do now, our damage will be much more consistent and able to be done effectively without addons to track Ignite's damage.
11/09/2015 11:47 AMPosted by Fielton
Also Ignite will spread on its own which sounds like such an amazing QoL change

Chance to spread and only to one target. This is likely a huge reduction to Ignite's contribution to AoE.
Fire is now fireball inferno blast pyroblast woo so fun
11/09/2015 11:46 AMPosted by Laenia

That sounds awful to me, because I still wouldn't be able to use it while questing. I don't PVP so that entire section won't apply to me.
11/09/2015 11:49 AMPosted by Mageski

Chance to spread and only to one target. This is likely a huge reduction to Ignite's contribution to AoE.

One tick will spread it to one target. Then 2 will spread it to 4, 4 to 8, etc. And that'll happen within a couple of seconds so it's not exactly slow. Maybe on super fast dying adds it won't be good but fire hasn't been good at killing low health adds in a long time. It's the same with any DoT spec.

It looks like for AoE you would use flamestrike instead, which also ignites targets, and with each of those spreading it shouldn't be as bad, with pyro ignite spread acting as more of a cleave.

Getting 2 direct-damage critical strikes in a row will make your next Pyroblast or Flamestrike spell instant cast, and cause double the normal Ignite damage.
Also note how inferno blast's cooldown went from 8 to 12 seconds, probably to offset having a second charge. Combined with not being able to roll hot streaks anymore, and I wonder if it'll be intended behavior for fire mages to just flat out miss occasional hot streaks if the recharge on IB isn't ready.

Inb4 it spreads to CC'd targets, or spreads to a target you didn't want to pull. I much preferred the gameplay of choosing how I wanted to use my Inferno Blast. This also raises the question about the functionality of Living Bomb, if it still exists. Will it work like Ignite, or will we now have to apply the single bomb on each mob individually like before?

Overall though, they're pretty solid changes. Can't wait to take a look at the new talent tree.

Yeah, wish they'd give us Cone of Cold back.

Though now looking at it again, it seems they're baking instant Flamestrikes into Hotstreak. And if Flamestrike's snare (still exists? and..) is long enough, I suppose it can function as the spec's occasional snare.

no because most if not all Major glyphs are being baked into core abilities and spells in legion, time will tell if the slow on ignite glyph has been removed or not.