5 worst or least good artifacts

Story Forum
Okay, so I was over on Nincaro's thread, check it out if you haven't, and in discussion there my mind wandered over to how I really think Blizzard knocked it out of the proverbial park with the lore behind these artifacts. The wide range of different lore sources touched upon shows a real love of the source material and gives an idea about the history involved. Nincaro asked people to judge between the options for each class and pick out the one that is most interesting. I only had to make hard choices twice.

No, it occurred to me that a far more interesting question will be, which five were the least interesting overall? Which five weapons do you look at and all they provoke is a shrug, a yawn, or the feeling of deep seated indifference? Which weapon makes you unexcited about getting your hands on it?

For me, the list goes as follows. And I'm going to start at the most interesting of the uninteresting and work my way down to the straight up disappointing.

Number 5. Twinblades of the Deceiver. Great story potential here. A Demonhunter succumbs to the corrupting influence of the fel and serves as a warning to the Illidari about what could happen with even a moments lapse of discipline. And who better to get that warning than the Demonhunter who slays Vardris and takes from him his now fel-infused warglaives. A Demonhunter who we expect to surpass all but possibly Illidan in the mastering of fel energy. It makes the list because, despite this story potential, there's no real history to be found in these weapons, no new information, and to be honest, it's not the only weapon whose history can be summed up as "it was a good weapon, than the Legion put in more fel, and now it's an even better weapon" but it is the least interesting weapon with that origin.

Number 4. Aluneth, Greatstaff of the Magna. Aegwynn is an interesting, dynamic character who let centuries worth of pride drive her into making the biggest mistake of her life. A mistake that took the form of her child, a bittersweet poisoning of the usual mother's pride in her child's accomplishments. Especially for a character who was driven to pageant mom levels of over involvement in planning her child's life. But other than its connection to Aegwynn, it's a staff she picked up around year 100 of her vigil and presumably, hopefully, has been tinkering with and improving until she retired it. But that's all very vague and the history is known plus, to be honest, it loses points for being the less interesting 'guardian of tirisfal' staff on the list. Had the developers just listened to Lena and made this the staff of a famous Draenei mage, it wouldn't have made this list.

This is my threshold of awesome. Any weapon above this point is considered to be awesome, just less awesome than the 31 weapons that didn't make this list.

Number 3. Thas'dorah, Legacy of the Windrunners-It's a bow. It's an old bow. It was crafted from the finest wood of a magical tree planted back in a time when the High Elves were bright, happy and optimistic. Back when they could separate themselves from all the darkness and death in this world. This weapon could serve as a nostalgically bitter reminder of all the High Elves have lost. This weapon could serve as a grim warning of the price of hubris, isolationism and willing ignorance of the threats of the outside world. But only for Blood Elves, the history of this bow does nothing at all for any of the other 10 hunter races and comes attached to a spec that further loses racial identity via the loss of their pets.

This here is my threshold of good. Any weapon above this point I consider to be good, I'm not sure I could have done any better and if someone says to me that they love the above weapon, I'll understand completely.

Number 2. Anguish and Sorrow-I don't like Garona, I don't dislike Garona either, but with me those daggers get no points for name recognition or being attached to her history. After that, they look ugly and wrong. Ugly I can deal with, ugly can work for an implement of death, I still prefer elegant but ugly is not a deal breaker. It's how they're wrong that gets me, you see those blades are slashing and hacking weapons with a point you run the risk of getting lodged in someone's body after a near miss. I can see those blades doing horror movie levels of damage to an unarmored opponent or just an unarmored part of an armored opponent. I can't see those blades tracelessly poisoning someone and leaving no sign of their grim work.

Number 1. Fangs of the Devourer-I guess from this artifact we have learned that Sargeras is a dog person. I could be snarky and make an argument that these weapons are perfect for subtlety since they come from a hound who lived and died completely unseen by the players but the contrast is too great for even that. 33 awesome weapons, 1 good weapon, and this, the only weapon that disappointed me more than Garona's daggers. The quests to get them had better praise Goremaw's 'withering fangs' to high heavens, and the assassin that wields them had better be awesome or subtlety rogues will be staring jealously at other rogues all expansion.

Huh, I consider 2 out of 3 rogue weapons to be bad. Well, here's hoping, for the sake of rogues, that Scryll was right when he said I was just ignorant of rogue thematics.
Least favourites and one I actually hate at spot number 1.

5- Fists of Ra-den. Don't hate them, just... I don't know feels more Monk-y to me. Maybe something from Thorium would've been better as their thunder based weapon. I do like it. it's just low on my list.

4- Twinblades of the Deceiver. They are just existing. The other Demon Hunter weapon has some cool lore to it, a pure race that battled the Legion, greatest champion killed by Sargeras himself. Then the Twinblades are created by Kil'jaeden and given to Varedis. Cool.... but not as interesting.

3- Fangs of the Devourer are under whelming compared to most other artefacts on the lists. Still, it is good to see that other worlds can go down fighitng and even killed Sargeras' personal hound. Shows Azeroth isn't the only world with fight in it.

2- Scepter of Azshara. Just seems odd that shamans are getting an arcane infused weapon as their healing weapon? Okay. Weird. Seems like something from the Abyssal Maw would've been better but that's just me.

And now the one I hate;

1- That BM gun Titanstrike. I just.... why? What relevence does Mimiron and Thorium have to Beast Mastery hunters? I don't play BM hunter but still... it's just so random and out there, totally doesn't fit.
There's only one I outright dislike.

Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire. One of the things I like about Shadow Priests was that there were multiple sides to their story. The Trolls were using Loa. The Forsaken had the Cult of Forgotten Shadow. Soulpriests gave Draenei some Shadow Priest justifification. Only here and there was it hinted that some Shadow Priests may be tapping into Old God powers. However, Xal'atath combined with the upcoming changes to Shadow make it seem like Blizzard just jumped right in and said "It's all Old Gods". And that bores me.
See, I guess I'm different in that I like the mismatched format. Culture A, the Titans or Al'Akir the Wind Lord develops a massively powerful weapon, the Fist of Ra-Den or the Fists of the Heaven. It ends up in the hands of Culture B, the Celestials or Tol'vir, who can not use it safely because their culture lacks the necessary backdrop to produce an exceptional master of that particular elemental. Along comes exceptional master from Culture C, an Elemental Shaman or Windwalker Monk, and suddenly through the confluence of these three groups, a connection is made and what was once thought to be impossible becomes the seeds of a brand new legend.

It would be like if Excalibur was the cursed blade of a Viking Lord that both destined its owner to become a legend, but also to die a violent death with no lands or people to call his own, only becoming a true force of good when it found its way into the hands of one who didn't think of his Kingdom as his possession, but instead thought of himself as belonging to his Kingdom.
- Scepter of Azshara, was hoping for a weapon that was related to water elementals and there's already one in-game. It honestly to me feels like a forced reason to have a weapon in Aszuna.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=72833/scepter-of-azshara

- Titanstrike doesn't really feel very strongly tied to pets at all, and it feels like their reason for BM having a gun was because MM had the bow and they wanted to make it feel different

- Goremaw, just feel like generic daggers with no real strong lore ties. For warlocks/demon hunters it makes sense to get some artifacts from the legion, rogues not really.

- Warswords of Valajar, mainly because all the warrior artifacts are swords so there's no variety in weapon type, and I liked this one the least

Hard time picking a fifth as there would be a lot of weapons at about tied for the next spot.
11/12/2015 06:32 AMPosted by Galenorn
There's only one I outright dislike.

Xal'atath, Blade of the Black Empire. One of the things I like about Shadow Priests was that there were multiple sides to their story. The Trolls were using Loa. The Forsaken had the Cult of Forgotten Shadow. Soulpriests gave Draenei some Shadow Priest justifification. Only here and there was it hinted that some Shadow Priests may be tapping into Old God powers. However, Xal'atath combined with the upcoming changes to Shadow make it seem like Blizzard just jumped right in and said "It's all Old Gods". And that bores me.

Shadow Priests have always drawn on the power of the Void, which has always been implied to have a close connection with the Old Gods. It makes complete sense.
The Protection Paladin weapon for 1st

Its made completely redundant by the Holy weapon and couldve been reworked to be a Tauren or Dwarf weapon instead to balance out the attention. Maybe get some more insight on some Dwarf or Tauren heroes of which there are little to none.

Scepter of Azshara for 2nd

Its a bad weapon for Resto as it comes from a character that supposed to be an ancient Mage but were just supposed to ignore that because shes a Naga and Naga are suddenly now expert Waterbenders.

The Disc Priest weapon for 3rd

This weapon wasted a position that couldve been filled by a Night Elf weapon as Disc will now be more about attacking and less about direct healing making them the perfect candidates for the Priestess of the Moon spec. An ancient Elven weapon wouldve helped connect the Blood Elves and Night Elves together. One race practicing balance out of talent and the other out of necessity. Instead we get a failed attempt at a second ashbringer by the Scarlet Crusade. A faction thats been an enemy to everyone since day one and only really consisted of humans.

Shadow Priest Weapon for 4th. Im sure there are people out there that think this weapon is fitting but imo i think we lost an oppertunity at a Gilnean weapon that could tie in Worgen and Undead into it with bolth emanating an air of darkness around them and it wouldve been a great time to find a common ground between them.

The Arcane Mage Weapon for 5th

I really thought a better option wouldve been to make it an old Draenei Weapon as Draenei Mages havent had much lore of their own happening and wouldve made a solid contribution to diversifying the weapons as with the current arrangement we have 2 Guardian weapon and this one was just a stick Aegwynn found and decided to keep it.
Anyone else here think BM and Marks hunters should have their artifacts swapped?

BM gets the Windrunner bow and Marks get Titanstrike (and if Gnomes could be hunters, would fit them perfectly considering who created the weapon to begin with).
11/12/2015 11:38 AMPosted by Murdra
Anyone else here think BM and Marks hunters should have their artifacts swapped?

BM gets the Windrunner bow and Marks get Titanstrike (and if Gnomes could be hunters, would fit them perfectly considering who created the weapon to begin with).

Titanstrike definitely doesn't fit BM, but the Windrunner bow doesn't really either. None of the Windrunners have ever had pets. I'd have kept MM's, it's good for them, and just made a new one for BM.
The sub rogue daggers makes slightly more sense now that sub rogues are officially users of the "shadow magic", it being an artifact of demonic origin doesn't sound that out of place now, yup we lock now.
11/12/2015 11:41 AMPosted by Reignac
11/12/2015 11:38 AMPosted by Murdra

Titanstrike definitely doesn't fit BM, but the Windrunner bow doesn't really either. None of the Windrunners have ever had pets. I'd have kept MM's, it's good for them, and just made a new one for BM.

Honestly, I'm just being picky, since I have little desire to wield a bow once belonging to my sworn enemy's family.
Alleria isn't a sworn enemy.
But Sylvanas is.

I'm just not keen on the entire Windrunner family to be honest (or at least my Hunter isn't).
Sylvanas never had it, though. It was Alleria.

And 2/3 Windrunner sisters are Alliance. The third one was until an Alliance prince butchered her and a Marshal tried to kick her and her people out.

*shrug*

Not that I'm claiming it's the alliances fault, but, given she's an old elf, I can kiiinda see why she wouldn't like them all too much.
Not really a particular order.

Restoration Shamans- What does an ancient highborne night elf arcane relic have to do with shamans in any way shape or form?

Arcane Mage- Why did we need 2 staves that are only special because guardians had them? Especially considering the guardians are supposed to use Aitesh. Would have been better served having it be draenei themed or even taking the Scepter of Azshara from shamans and turning it into a wand for arcane mage.

Protection Paladin- Since when did Vrykul have paladins? Oh, right, they don't. So why is protection getting a warrior artifact? Blizzard is having a real hard time separating paladins from warriors in this spec/class fantasy thing. Plus we already got a titan themed artifact for holy so this is just redundant. Should have been draenei, tauren, or blood elf themed.

Beast Master Hunter- Honestly, I feel this was mostly made to mock people that want gnome hunters.

Outlaw Rogue- Why are they getting death knight themed swords that want them to kill stuff? They're supposed to be Outlaws, thieves, not crazy murderers driven by the blood lust of their weapon.
Alleria has been gone for so long that she might as well have been dead the entire time. RP-wise, my hunter would only have heard stories about her and nothing more. I can't really judge her until the two actually meet.

Vereesa seriously considered leaving the Alliance (and her children) to join up with her zombie sister.

And Sylvanas had allowed, or didn't try to prevent, the testing of the Forsaken plague on my fellow dwarves and allies. I also haven't forgotten about the Wrathgate incident and her incompetence in keeping Varimathras (a DEMON mind you) in check.
11/12/2015 12:34 PMPosted by Lena
turning it into a wand

The sheer frothing rage of every Arcane Mage would blot out the sun if they were stuck with a wand for the expansion.

@Above Ah, didn't realize that was fully in character. In that case, it makes sense.
11/12/2015 12:38 PMPosted by Unholierwalu
The sheer frothing rage of every Arcane Mage would blot out the sun if they were stuck with a wand for the expansion.

With the new transmog system I would hope we're allowed to transmog to any weapon we want(assuming we can equip it).

It'd actually be a good compromise for warriors that liked Gladiator Stance with sword+board if they could transmog to that as arms or fury, but that might be hoping too much. At the very least people should be able to go from wand to staff or whatever.
If they burst open the transmog system to compensate for Artifacts, can have twohanded swords on mage pls

Or even a twohanded Felo'melorn model, since I believe it was normally of similar size to Frostmourne, and Kael'thas was a plate wearing battlemage in WC3..
Hm... hard to think of 5 but there are 3 that easily pop out as uninteresting for me.

The Fury Warrior, Subtlety Rogue, and Marksmanship Hunter ones in particular, either because their origin or just the way the weapons look just aren't terribly interesting to me.

11/12/2015 12:48 PMPosted by Unholierwalu
If they burst open the transmog system to compensate for Artifacts, can have twohanded swords on mage pls

Or even a twohanded Felo'melorn model, since I believe it was normally of similar size to Frostmourne, and Kael'thas was a plate wearing battlemage in WC3..

I don't think they'll go that far with it...

I would, however, like to be able to transmog 1-hand weapons into fist weapons and vice versa. Sometimes I get tired of using one weapon type and like to go for other types and swords and fist weapons tend to be my favorite in the 1-hand family of weapons.