RIP Fistweaving & Gladiator Stance

General Discussion
1 2 3 25 Next
Devboss: Alright team, how will we change specs to feel more unique? Let's start with Mistweaver monks. Their ability to heal while doing damage is fairly unique, and we're trying to give other healers meaningful attacks in the same spirit. how can we improve fistweaving for Legion?

Jenkins: It's too hard to balance, so we decided to remove it.

Devboss: That's a damn shame. Moving on to Discipline Priests, their absorbs are unique, but too strong. How can we reign them in but still have them feel unique?

Jenkins: How about we make them heal... WHILE DOING DAMAGE?

Devboss: My God Jenkins, you're a genius.
Disc priests used damage to cause healing before monks were ever a playable class.
To further add to it:

Devboss: Now that we've settled that fistweaving issue, what about mastery? How do we make this a unique stat?

Jenkins: Let's strip every spec that once had an interesting mastery, and instead homogenize them all to be a generic "your abilities do % more healing/dps/defense".

Devboss: SOMEBODY PROMOTE THIS MAN!
11/11/2015 01:08 PMPosted by Liandry
To further add to it:

Devboss: Now that we've settled that fistweaving issue, what about mastery? How do we make this a unique stat?

Jenkins: Let's strip every spec that once had an interesting mastery, and instead homogenize them all to be a generic "your abilities do % more healing/dps/defense".

Devboss: SOMEBODY PROMOTE THIS MAN!

Thats why it was completely ignored right by WW and MW because it was so interesting.
11/11/2015 01:07 PMPosted by Oblivienne
Disc priests used damage to cause healing before monks were ever a playable class.
Yes, but Fistweaving is half the reason I play a monk at all.
This killed Mistweaver for me.

Sick of this nonsense.

I enjoy Mistweaver because they give me the chance to break out of the whack a mole playstyle.
I will forever miss my monk healing tactic from mists.Where I took the best from both worlds and was able to be viable while maintaining a small amount of damage on the boss.

Introducing stances that limited you was a slap to the face to my monk and completely removed all enjoyment I had for the class.

Removing fistweaving completely while priests maintain atonement further confirms my choice to leave my monk behind at 100 and replace it with a demon hunter.

While this is true. Disc priest atonement healing consisted of spamming smite and holy fire. While fistweaving had its own rotation that was comparable to DPS specs.
Making MW more hot-based is fine, but removing fistweaving at the same time is really trashing their uniqueness. What sets MW apart from a resto druid now?
11/11/2015 01:12 PMPosted by Zuijiuquan

I can sympathize. Atonement is why I love playing a disc priest in Cata and MoP. I was so disappointed in what Blizz did to disc priests in WoD that I haven't done much at all with mine except get her professions maxed and get her to ilvl 675 for the garrison mission that rewards us with a mount. She's basically a bag-making machine, which is sad, really. If they do the same thing to MW monks, it will make a lot of players angry and upset, and rightly so. I never had the opportunity to play MW with my monk, but everyone I talked with who did absolutely loved the damage-results-in-healing aspect. I seriously hope they do not remove it.
MW was already in its death throes in WoD when they separated the punching into a separate stance. This is just the gratuitous killing blow.
11/11/2015 01:12 PMPosted by Zuijiuquan

Well its a good thing you're getting a free pass to start a new character at level 100 with any class of your choice.
11/11/2015 01:18 PMPosted by Breathkeeper
Making MW more hot-based is fine, but removing fistweaving at the same time is really trashing their uniqueness. What sets MW apart from a resto druid now?

Pretty glassware?
11/11/2015 01:23 PMPosted by Bomdanil

Pretty glassware?
I'm so salty, my brews are soup.
Uhh.. Resto druids have abilities that relate to the class?

Ayy gurl, let me Vivify in yo ear. Or race change to an Eredar Draenei and use Essence Font.
To me, removing fistweaving is like removing Gladiator spec for Warriors

Or Dark Apotheosis for Warlocks. :(

If Blizzard saw fit to change the abilities, I would have faith that they would do their best to make an interesting play style. Removing a popular play style completely leaves me feeling betrayed.
Fistweaving is only the first loss. The second being all of the interesting spell interactions like RM>Uplift, RM>Chi generation, Soothing > Surging/Enveloping, Soothing > Jade Statue... it just looks like a standard healer now, maybe a mix of resto druid and holy priest.

Very not happy about MW.

From the developer's comments

For Mistweavers, it’s OK to have open global cooldowns between heals—Soothing Mist fills these gaps.

Yup. Cast a heal then you can make a sandwich, take a nap, do whatever! Just don't actually play your character!

If the female gnome /yawn wasn't adorable I might be upset about this! :-P

Okay, that's a slight exaggeration but still being encouraged to just sit on your hands isn't good. There's a reason why the 5 second rule was done away with.
Don't know why there's complaints.

MW might actually be viable in PVP again! Gonna dust my MW off :)
Benching this toon for Legion, with no fistweaving......

Nothing gave me greater joy as a healer, than being able to run up and punch the stupid out of an opposing faction player, whenever I could get away with it.....

In fact, MW was the very first healer I actually enjoyed healing on, specifically for that utility.....

If anything, it should have been embraced MORE, not less..... Being able to do both, as it was in MoP, and seemlessly transistion or even hybrid heal, without the stupid stance dancing, was some of the most fun I had in the game.....

It should have been tweaked, and better balanced, not scrapped entirely.