RIP Fistweaving & Gladiator Stance

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 25 Next
I plan on making this my main, I know I don't have anywhere near as much experience as you lot but these changes sound good to me.
11/11/2015 02:01 PMPosted by Felryx
MW might actually be viable in PVP again! Gonna dust my MW off :)

I've done fine in PvP with it.
They are making one too many pointless changes... again.

"Hey guys! We can't come up with anything new, so we'll just.. reinvent the wheel.. again!"
11/11/2015 01:08 PMPosted by Liandry
Jenkins: Let's strip every spec that once had an interesting mastery, and instead homogenize them all to be a generic "your abilities do % more healing/dps/defense".

Devboss: SOMEBODY PROMOTE THIS MAN!

If it means no more sniper training, then yes please. I don't want to be encouraged to play a turret.
It feels to me like they stripped all the identity out of both mistweaver and brewmaster.

Brewmaster was unique (and the only tank spec I ever enjoyed) because it had a fast, spammy, offensively-focused toolkit. I felt like a crazy martial artist brawler. Now I'm just going to be sitting there baby-sitting cooldowns like a prot pally? Bleh.

Mistweaver was unique (and a spec I was really excited to try following the addition of tri-spec) because of the way they could combine more traditional heals with melee combat. Now they're just going to be spamming HoTs in the back like a resto druid, apparently.

If Blizzard's goal of this class revamp was to heighten fantasy and make classes more distinct, they've failed miserably, at least where monks are concerned.
11/11/2015 01:09 PMPosted by Divium
11/11/2015 01:08 PMPosted by Liandry
To further add to it:

Devboss: Now that we've settled that fistweaving issue, what about mastery? How do we make this a unique stat?

Jenkins: Let's strip every spec that once had an interesting mastery, and instead homogenize them all to be a generic "your abilities do % more healing/dps/defense".

Devboss: SOMEBODY PROMOTE THIS MAN!

Thats why it was completely ignored right by WW and MW because it was so interesting.

Could've gone back to Combo Breaker being the WW mastery. <.<
It sucks that they had to remove fistweaving but I can't say I'm surprised, it was never that viable. I mean, they could have tried to make it viable, but it looks like disc priests are becoming ranged fistweavers now though.
lol

+1
11/11/2015 01:18 PMPosted by Breathkeeper
Making MW more hot-based is fine, but removing fistweaving at the same time is really trashing their uniqueness. What sets MW apart from a resto druid now?

but dey got green spellz

did you not reed the thingie??

Yeah I know. I'm sad too.

:(
11/11/2015 02:16 PMPosted by Mitharion
It sucks that they had to remove fistweaving but I can't say I'm surprised, it was never that viable. I mean, they could have tried to make it viable, but it looks like disc priests are becoming ranged fistweavers now though.

It worked at the beginning of MoP but then continued nerfs made it increasingly less viable until WoD when they stuck it in its own stance. Now it's being removed.
11/11/2015 01:40 PMPosted by Zuijiuquan
To me, removing fistweaving is like removing Gladiator spec for Warriors

Or Dark Apotheosis for Warlocks. :(

If Blizzard saw fit to change the abilities, I would have faith that they would do their best to make an interesting play style. Removing a popular play style completely leaves me feeling betrayed.

"Does Glyph of Demon Hunting meet our standards for class fantasy?"

"No sir, we added that for fun."

"Fun? Not in this game mister. Get rid of it."
11/11/2015 02:18 PMPosted by Adelphie
11/11/2015 02:16 PMPosted by Mitharion

It worked at the beginning of MoP but then continued nerfs made it increasingly less viable until WoD when they stuck it in its own stance. Now it's being removed.

It wasn't just for group content either; Fistweaving in the open world when playing solo is plenty viable and a lot of fun. I got an unusual amount of mileage out of the Warlock bodyguard because I could heal her without giving up any of my DPS.
11/11/2015 01:07 PMPosted by Oblivienne
Disc priests used damage to cause healing before monks were ever a playable class.

And a good chunk of them complained about it.

Also, OP, don't forget Holy Paladins! Make them go to melee range while we move Monks to the back...Go stand with the Clothies WuFei!
11/11/2015 02:28 PMPosted by Emburfist
Also, OP, don't forget Holy Paladins! Make them go to melee range while we move Monks to the back...Go stand with the Clothies WuFei!

To be fair, holy paladins should have been the original melee healer since that was why the class was made in the first place(in lore).
Fistweaving (and Gladiator Stance) will not be joining us in Legion.

We love the fantasy that each of those “subspecs” promise, but leaving them as subspecs has proven to be problematic, making us unable to properly deliver on their fantasy. Trying to support two different playstyles within one spec restricts how much we can focus and bring out the strengths of either of them. We still love both of their concepts, however, and will look for opportunities to bring them back in the future.

Fistweaving in particular ended up being used mostly as a mana management tool to support Serpent Stance, instead of a damage/heal hybrid, which didn’t support its fantasy well. While we recognize that the initial goal for Mistweaver Monk -- combining a ranged healer with a melee healing style -- attracted some people to the class, quite a few things have changed since then. Most importantly, there’s been a huge shift away from smart heals in Warlords, which is continuing in Legion.

Mistweaver gameplay for most players was centered around their ranged healing spells, and our focus for the spec in 7.0 consists of reinforcing their unique array of healing tools and adding talents and artifact powers that support this style.
11/11/2015 02:36 PMPosted by Lore

Sad Times at Warcraft High.
11/11/2015 01:56 PMPosted by Kipery
There's a reason why the 5 second rule was done away with.

Hey now that cookie was only on the floor for 2 seconds...its fair game!!!

But really I cant believe they would remove fistweaving without compensating. Lets hope that since this is only a small preview they intend to add something for MW damage.
Mistweaver gameplay for most players was centered around their ranged healing spells, and our focus for the spec in 7.0 consists of reinforcing their unique array of healing tools and adding talents and artifact powers that support this style.

Turning them into every other healer=reinforcing their uniqueness?

What?

So I take that as the holy priest preview about smiting and bringing sacred justice is just "I'm bored while healing so I'll smite" rather than an actual play style choice. That is sad, I don't want my priest to be a tentacle monster for DPS.
We love the fantasy that each of those “subspecs” promise, but leaving them as subspecs has proven to be problematic, making us unable to properly deliver on their fantasy. Trying to support two different playstyles within one spec restricts how much we can focus and bring out the strengths of either of them. We still love both of their concepts, however, and will look for opportunities to bring them back in the future.

Druids have 4 specs, is it too much to ask maybe some other classes can have 4 specs?

Turning them into every other heal=reinforcing their uniqueness?

What?

I agree with you, whats the deal with that?
Can't compare Disc Priest dealing damage to Monk Mistweaver. Priests have 2 healing specs so it makes sense to try and differentiate them like that. Monks have 1 healing spec so they need to try and make it a true healing spec. Otherwise it will turn people off...and if they focus too much on damage then it might be too much to bring to a raid or a hard dungeon / challenge mode if you need constant healing...not some healing and some damage.

There might be a way to do it but only having 1 healing spec means it is probably better to make them focus on healing...let the other specs focus on damage and tanking.

Edit: I have an 85 Monk when that was max level and this blog is making me consider leveling my Monk again (but Hunters seem cooler so not sure).
Gladiator had potential.