Most powerful class from lore perspective?

General Discussion
Druid or Mage IMHO.

Warlocks too but they're cheaters.
Light, Fel, Shadow... they're all just low level api's on arcane energy. Mages deal directly with the source code of the Universe. Mages are Azeroth's Neo.
11/16/2015 08:27 AMPosted by Levarion
Outside of lore, we run the show atm.

Inside lore I'd have to say it's warlocks. If you do the Green Fire quest you can see just what kind of power they can really tap into if they so choose.

I would say mages, but if all the locks pick the Ebonlocke path...........everyones fcked.....at that point im hiding in Acherus and never coming out

I'm going to make the assumption that you mean mechanics-wise in your first statement. Sadly, I have to agree with that given you're a tank with enough self healing to generally ignore the need for dedicated heals barring up to and including content from just last xpac with only current content doing more damage than you can safely solo for the most part afaik. We're generally stuck using our Void<x> for tanking purposes though hence the frequent issue of us showing up in instanced group content with it being the active demon.

But lorewise you'd be right. Just a note for the rest of the class, Warlocks were the actual creators of DKs using Soul Shards as basically a mystical energizer battery. The first ones managed to figure out how to make more of themselves since they were powered using the souls of Gul'dan's assistants who had knowledge of the process.
Really boils down to 2 classes: Warrior and Mage.

Why?

Broxigar the Red, the of the first to injure the Dark Titan Sargeras.

Guardian's of Tirisfal - the protectors of Azeroth that have fought off our demonic invaders for seemingly thousands of years (according to Ebonchill's description). In recent accounts, Aegwynn and Medivh were very powerful Archmagi.

Edit: Although Druid could be thrown in there as well due to Malfurion's actions over the course of Warcraft history. The guy makes Thrall look like he should redo his talents to be more Elemental or Enhance and not both.
Well like a lot here say, Mage and Shaman are pretty up there. It can depend on how one defines "power" though. If we're talking upward destructive potential, than Mage/Warlock, Shaman all the way. There are many ways to define "power" though. Like who is more powerful, Magneto or Professor X? Consider.

"I wonder how democracy survives in a world where one man can move cities with his mind."

Technically speaking, he could be talking about either of them.
Mage or Warlock I'd say.

It WoW were based in some kind of reality pure magic would be > all.
I'll toss some up here that isn't otherwise getting much thought:

Shadow Priests
and
Death Knights

Those would be my two votes, outside of Warlock/Mage/Shaman/Druid

I think one of the more interesting ones to think about is Monks.... we really don't know anywhere near enough about the mystical aspects of their power....

Another curious one to me is Rogues... who are gaining some quasi mystical type powers of their own (at least as Sub)

Finally, I should point out that, despite being non descript, hunters have freaking guns... as will combat rogues......and engineers have giant explosives......Even Slyvanus gets globaled by a bullet to the face.
Mages are the most powerful.

11/16/2015 08:42 AMPosted by Gobsmack
Garona assassinated the King of Stormwind.. highly doubt it was easy to infiltrate the most protected kingdom on the planet and off their leader.

She didn't sneak in though. She earned the trust of the king as an advisor against the orcs in the first war. Then Gul'dan forced her to kill him.
Paladins and Warlocks, Mages are powerful in the lore, but most of the most powerful beings ever introduced, in the game and in the lore, are Warlocks. Mediev, Gul'dan, Archimonde, Kil'jaeden, Eredar in general.

Paladins have been shown to accomplish impossible feats on numerous occasions. The class can pretty much do almost anything as long as it "believes" hard enough.

Druids are also up there, but their "powers" seem to be more of an informed trait. We rarely see them do anything that's actually spectacular. Even Malfurion needed help from a Demigod to bind Ragnaros. On top of that, their power seems easily corrupted.

11/16/2015 01:41 PMPosted by Baguazhang
Guardian's of Tirisfal - the protectors of Azeroth that have fought off our demonic invaders for seemingly thousands of years (according to Ebonchill's description). In recent accounts, Aegwynn and Medivh were very powerful Archmagi.

The Guardians are not normal mages, and Aegwynn and Medivh aren't remotely normal mages. They're more like the Avatar from the Last Air Bender, a single person empowered by centuries of mages to defend the world, they're not representative of something mages can actually achieve.
11/16/2015 01:53 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
Even Malfurion needed help from a Demigod to bind Ragnaros. On top of that, their power seems easily corrupted.

As are a Paladin's if they fall to the flaw of zealotry. Not that you're entirely wrong just that it should be mentioned is all.

Plus it's as I said, it depends on how one defines "power." Surely trusted authority is a certain kind of power, and Malfurion could only do half the things he does if whatever he's trying to command considers him worthy of being commanded by him, and yet almost everything does.

Again, what is power?
11/16/2015 07:52 AMPosted by Lokki
That had nothing to do with Broxxigar's ability and everything to do with the magical axe he was given.

I think you have to account for the skill he had in combat too, though. Don't get me wrong it wouldn't have happened without the axe, but that axe would've been useless to some peasant.

I think Mages, Shamans and Warlocks are the top-dogs lore-wise, myself.
11/16/2015 01:53 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
Paladins and Warlocks, Mages are powerful in the lore, but most of the most powerful beings ever introduced, in the game and in the lore, are Warlocks. Mediev, Gul'dan, Archimonde, Kil'jaeden, Eredar in general.

The eredar were immensely powerful mages. Then they were empowered by a titan with more power and became warlocks.

I'm not sure being empowered by a titan means warlocks are more powerful. It just means warlocks empowered by titans are super powerful.

Azshara was also an insanely powerful mage and was supposed to be powerful enough to rival many of the Legion's top demons, including Mannoroth.
11/16/2015 02:08 PMPosted by Adelphie
The eredar were immensely powerful mages. Then they were empowered by a titan with more power and became warlocks.

I'm not sure being empowered by a titan means warlocks are more powerful. It just means warlocks empowered by titans are super powerful.

Azshara was also an insanely powerful mage and was supposed to be powerful enough to rival many of the Legion's top demons, including Mannoroth.

Well lore-wise, Gul'dan wiped out an entire zone, in two different versions of the same planet, by himself. He's also going to be summoning the entire Burning Legion to Azeroth next expansion. So far there's no mages in the game that have done anything close to that outside of members of the Blue Dragonflight.
11/16/2015 02:11 PMPosted by Hexadecimal
Well lore-wise, Gul'dan wiped out an entire zone, in two different versions of the same planet, by himself. He's also going to be summoning the entire Burning Legion to Azeroth next expansion. So far there's no mages in the game that have done anything close to that outside of members of the Blue Dragonflight.

Um, one of the zones in the Broken Isles was wiped out by Azshara and she was the one summoning the Legion in War of the Ancients.

So, yeah, there is a mage in the game that has done something close to that.
Warrior.

Everyone else needs magic or skill. Warriors just need large slabs of metal, and they get the same job done.
There's at least one super powerful individual of each class

However classes as a whole, the most powerful would be Warlock and DK's, why?

A bad warrior needs more training, a bad mage needs to study more

A bad warlock dies summoning a large demon, and a bad deathknight was killed during training
Oh.... I'll add another class no one has said yet....

DEMON HUNTERS

Immortal... Magical warriors with seemingly limitless power absorbtion potential.....

http://wow.gamepedia.com/Quest:Illidan%27s_Pupil

The guy became as powerful as Illidan by reading a book of demon names.
Druid.

Three pages and no one got that right.
11/16/2015 08:42 AMPosted by Gobsmack
11/16/2015 08:33 AMPosted by Swooce
Rogue is probably the only class without an extremely powerful lore example. And don't say Valeera or Garona, because literally all they do is get taken advantage of by every single other character they come into contact with.

Kind of sucks. I know the usual mantra is "rogues don't need a powerful lore figure, it's their job to stay out of the spotlight!" but I don't think we have a single competent rogue-like character. Every example I can think of is B-list at best, embarrassing at worst.

Garona assassinated the King of Stormwind.. highly doubt it was easy to infiltrate the most protected kingdom on the planet and off their leader.

She also got the best of khadgar. Garona is a huge lore character and deserves her spot. She's the sole reasons Varrion couldn't accepted the horde.
mages and warlocks, for sure.