WoW suggestion: WarCraft Tactics

General Discussion
Got a suggestion for a game mode/mini-game/whatever you want to call it within WoW: WarCraft Tactics. If pet battling is WoW's answer to Pokemon (and, in some ways, superior both to Pokemon and other WoW PvP, not even joking), then WarCraft Tactics would be WoW's answer to grid-based tactical JRPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Basically, this would be a turn-based mini-game with various stages, enemies, and bosses drawn directly from WoW's classic and current dungeons and raids, and would feature its own rewards (equips for your "units," pets/mounts, etc.). A side effect, and a bonus IMO, is that it would allow solo players the ability to see the story and layout of each dungeon/raid without grouping/raiding, for players who aren't playing with friends that day or players who just don't care too.

There's a lot to draw from, both in current WoW and in WarCraft lore, for units, classes, etc. The non-hero classes (Warrior, Mage, Monk, etc.) would be the basis for what "generic" units could be, possibly with specs to mirror the specs players can choose and adhering to the new focus on class and spec identity Legion wants to enforce. For example, you can have a generic Fury Warrior, and their Warrior ability set includes both universal Warrior abilities and a few Fury-specific. To draw a FFT parallel, perhaps it would be possible to equip a secondary ability set from another class to further customize your units, as well as counter abilities, movement abilities, etc. from classes units have leveled.

Special units with their own classes are a possibility. Death Knights and Demon Hunters come to mind, with unique named heroes donning those. But others from WarCraft lore could be introduced, or earned from this game mode or even other activities. Imagine if the Draenor Follower system allows for some followers to transition to this mode and getting Lantresor, a Blademaster.

Creatures can be a part of the player's army too, with their own abilities. Another FFT parallel, I realize, but there it is.

That's the suggestion. I feel this would be a fun game mode as both a diversion for players not doing their usual endgame on a particular day and for soloists who want to experience the WoW story in a way that both works and doesn't require development on things like solo dungeons/raids, something devs have repeatedly said they don't want to make for a variety of logistical reasons.

Feedback welcome, provided it's constructive.
One bump, and one bump only.
I support well fleshed-out minigames within WoW.
No lie, I would probably happily spend more time playing something like this than I spend in my garrison.
11/16/2015 02:35 PMPosted by Irohne
No lie, I would probably happily spend more time playing something like this than I spend in my garrison.

Real talk, this is what the garrison should be re-purposed to.

If you don't mind me tooting my own horn a bit. ;)
Sounds like fun. I'd be in.
I'd love to see something like this, definitely. +1
Agreed
Thanks all.

For anyone who may not know what Final Fantasy Tactics is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WNzpN2XBY (warning: language)
11/16/2015 02:01 PMPosted by Axelhander
One bump, and one bump only.

I lied. One more. My ego demands it.
I always wished the garrison followers and missions had worked like that.
I at the least wanted to go with my followers on their missions, to lead by example, in WoD.

This sounds about like the same sort of thing; although, if it could be brought into the actual world of WoW, then all the better, I'd think. The way to do that would alter combat somewhat, however, the feel of the game itself might trump this idea overall.

I honestly hope that Blizzard starts to listen to its players again; it will only help the game long term.
Would this be like X-COM : UFO Defense turn based combat? Not really getting what OP is suggesting.
12/02/2015 11:15 AMPosted by Morgana
Would this be like X-COM : UFO Defense turn based combat? Not really getting what OP is suggesting.

An example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1WNzpN2XBY (warning: language)
I could definitely get behind this. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre were two of my favorite games ever!
12/02/2015 12:59 PMPosted by Haeramm
I could definitely get behind this. Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre were two of my favorite games ever!

... I have yet to play a Tactics Ogre game... </shame>
Raise Dead
01/01/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Charlos
Raise Dead

This is a weird necro
01/01/2018 11:24 AMPosted by Ashael
01/01/2018 11:20 AMPosted by Charlos
Raise Dead

This is a weird necro

I may or may not be the OP. Don't tell anyone.
I am going to make this game....

And get sued by blizzard....

And offer to give them the game if they will hire me as a dev....

Apparently its the only way to get one's foot in the door without 6+ years experience in another game company...

sigh...